The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 25, 2012, 05:06 PM   #1
straight-shooter

M1 Garand

I just picked up a M1 Garand in a trade deal. It's a 1955 SA re barreled with a 1965 SA and has the new style CMP stock. I done a total strip and all the grease points were properly lubed and the owner claimed he never fired it. From the looks of the inside he was not lying.

I would say the trade was a good trade for both parties as I traded a Arsenal SGL-21 that was unfired. I figure i can always get another SGL-21 but the Garands are slowly drying up.

I have a set of dies and LC brass on the way in the mail and should be up and running using Hornady Amax 168gr bullets a H4895 powder here shortly. I'm chomping at the bit to get this rifle to the range.

Now for the obligatory pic....

Old October 25, 2012, 05:21 PM   #2
tahunua001

very nice, good going. I need to hurry up and get my CMP paperwork filed.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Technosavant

Very nice. Seeing some pics of the Garands from some members here have me getting antsy. I submitted my CMP paperwork last week... I just get the feeling the wait is going to feel like it's much longer than it actually will be.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Eghad

Best invention ever. The government should issue all citizens one plus ammo for training and use.

NRA Life Member
Old October 25, 2012, 08:39 PM   #5
JR_Roosa

Ordering another one tomorrow. I have a special and I'm getting a service grade for a match rifle project.

J.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:05 PM   #6
chris in va

Purdy. Love my CMP Field grade.
Old October 26, 2012, 02:17 AM   #7
Navy joe

Congrats, pretty gun. I have 2, need about 4 more in my opinion. A wonderful trade too. Now did you really lay a flag on the floor for that pic?
Old October 26, 2012, 07:18 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

A great Garand side effect is having cases of M2 ball around. I have never shot my '03's and 1917's as much since I started shooting the Garand more and laid in a few cases ball ammo.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:27 AM   #9
straight-shooter

Quote:
Congrats, pretty gun. I have 2, need about 4 more in my opinion. A wonderful trade too. Now did you really lay a flag on the floor for that pic?
No flags were harmed during this photo shoot! Actually it was laid on the kitchen table.

Now at this very moment it is neatly folded into a triangle and respectfully put away.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:48 AM   #10
bamaranger

nice

I would think that your rifle would be an ideal shooter. Late model receiver and a rebarrel..perfect if the accuracy is there.

Loading for the Garand taught me a few things:
- Use milspec primers (hardshell type) I think CCI # is 34.
- Understand headspace and how to set your reloads up w/
the correct HS for your rifle
-Obtain a primer pocket uniforming tool and do all the pockets on any
brass you intend for the M1
-Use the correct powder w/ burn rate compatible w/ the M1 (I use 4064, but their are others)

Enjoy
Old October 28, 2012, 08:44 AM   #11
BLUETIP

Nice m1, good trade, enjoy
Old October 28, 2012, 09:34 AM   #12
straight-shooter

Well, i'm getting close to getting the Garand out to the range. Last night i loaded up some 30-06 ammo for it. I plan on shooting these over my chronograph and hope to achieve 2,600 to 2,680 fps out of them. Through research this is suppose to be a close duplicate match load used with the Hornady Amax.

LC 68 Brass
168 gr Hornady Amax bullet
46.3 gr H4895
2.484 trim length
3.320 OAL (.020 short of the lands)
No crimp

I'll report back with the results when I get them.

Old October 28, 2012, 10:02 AM   #13
MJ1

;) Enjoy!

- David Hackworth -
Old October 28, 2012, 10:07 AM   #14
straight-shooter

LOL, I had mine torn down like that just the other day. I usually do that after i get a firearm because I have to learn it for my own personal sanity. Not to mention the M1 Garand has key lube points that need attention.

Nice photo, thanks for sharing!
Old October 28, 2012, 11:36 AM   #15
MJ1

;) LOL

Hmmmmmm??????

This was a fun project and for $310 I got a great rifle. This was my first 100 yards test.

Enjoy your new M1.

...MJ...

re-cycle
- David Hackworth -

Last edited by MJ1; October 30, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:38 PM   #16
straight-shooter

Ok, got me there. Stripped it down just short of the barrel. LOL, I have a wet stainless tumbler setup so hopefully soon i'll get to that and shine up the 44 years old brass to like new.
Old October 28, 2012, 02:44 PM   #17
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

You used a flag for a table cloth to display a gun? Sorry but I don't give a hoot and a holler about your gun if you think our flag is just a convenient rag to display your toys on. Fly it right or hang it right but don't walk on it and don't lay things on it, some of us old buzzards are offended by that.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 28, 2012, 03:23 PM   #18
straight-shooter

Quote:
You used a flag for a table cloth to display a gun? Sorry but I don't give a hoot and a holler about your gun if you think our flag is just a convenient rag to display your toys on. Fly it right or hang it right but don't walk on it and don't lay things on it, some of us old buzzards are offended by that.
You got your screen name right.
Old October 28, 2012, 03:30 PM   #19
MLeake

I don't know; I am not particularly old, nor particularly grumpy, but I am a veteran and I also found it a bit offensive.
Old October 28, 2012, 03:33 PM   #20
straight-shooter

Well that certainly was not the intent and I personally found nothing wrong with it since I didn't lay the flag on the ground. Like momma always said, you can't please everyone, nor will i try.
Old October 28, 2012, 03:51 PM   #21
MLeake

I didn't think it was your intent, so I didn't say anything, until you took issue with Old Grump.

Just realize that per the protocols some of us (who I suspect are older than you, but I could be wrong) were taught regarding uses of the flag, do not allow for your display.
Old October 28, 2012, 03:54 PM   #22
MJ1

;)

It's done all the time to display classic American arms medals swords. Some folks are just trigger happy or need some prunes.

- David Hackworth -
Old October 28, 2012, 04:11 PM   #23
MLeake

MJ1, olympic athletes also wear flag-based warmups.

Just because things are commonly done, sometimes even with great fanfare, it doesn't mean they are right.
Old October 28, 2012, 04:59 PM   #24
Theohazard

He neatly laid an obviously well-cared-for flag on a table, then laid a symbol of American history on it and took a picture. After that he neatly folded it up and put it away. As a Marine infantry veteran, I found the picture classy and respectful and I have no problem with it.
Old October 28, 2012, 05:06 PM   #25
straight-shooter

Quote:
He neatly laid an obviously well-cared-for flag on a table, then laid a symbol of American history on it and took a picture. After that he neatly folded it up and put it away. As a Marine infantry veteran, I found the picture classy and respectful and I have no problem with it.
Thank you Theohazard for seeing it the same I did when setting up for this photo. I have a large amount of respect for the American Flag and what it stands for. Back in my day we were taught that respect every day as we stood up for the pledge of allegiance in school, something that is missing in todays world.