The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old September 23, 2008, 12:15 AM   #26
SteelJM1

What's the difference between a Golani Sporter and a Galil?
Old September 23, 2008, 12:15 AM   #27
ronl

IMHO I would buy one of the Daewoo DR-200's if you can find one. Scope mounts can be found easily and are simple to install. I've seen quite a few on Gunbroker that could fit in your budget. Gun is accurate and fun to shoot, piston makes it very easy to keep clean. My neighbor has one but he will not part with it. I opted for a RA XCR and am very happy with it, but the price may end up being a little more than the budget you specified unless you can find a good used weapon. I think the Daewoo would fit your budget easily and I don't think you'd be disappointed at all.
Old September 23, 2008, 04:45 AM   #28
dchi

Well the real HK 93 is out of my budget. I tried the AK in .223 and I hated them. I didn't know that Vector was out of buisness or that their rifles needed work. I don't want something I have to fiddle with. I got plenty of AR-15s that I can do that on. The AUG is also way out of my budget. I was going to get a robinson arms m96. The range I shot on had one for a while that they rented out. One of the shop guys told my not to get one, said it had a lot of problems. So I don't know much about their reliablity or problems. THe Daewoo would be ok but the ones I've seen have a reversed safety. Instead of a down rotation like the AR it was an up rotation backwards. It was impossible to do with your shooting hand. Are all of them like that? Also I've never come by one for sale with the original preban stock. If they are not being made, I will pass. I hear good things about the XCR, how does that difffere from the M96? I think I will also pass on any new designs that are not out yet. Rember the bushmaster .308 with FAL mags, the AR10's and all the HK copies from a bunch of new companies? I want to stick with something that is a little more proven.
Old September 23, 2008, 05:37 AM   #29
tacweapon

Quote:
I want something other than an AR15 or mini 14. How are the Vector V-93? I don't much like copies but I hear good things about the company. The rifle needs to be in .223 and a millitary style.
Quote:
Oh I forgot my budget can go up to $1200 but Im not necessarily looking to spend that much. I'd like something light, handy, reliable, easy to clean, not finicky and fairly accurate. 2 MOA is good enough for me.
My Recommendation would the Robinson Arms XCR. It is a 5.56/.223 military style. and can be found for that much if you do some looking. I have been able to run any ammo through mine with out issues so it is not finicky. If you do your part 2 MOA is very capable. If you have any questions let me know

People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf
Old September 23, 2008, 06:10 AM   #30
JKHolman

difference in rifles

SteelJM1,
a Galil is an Israeli-produced rifle while a Golani Sporter is a Century Arms clone with some US compliance parts. Early Century Arms products had teething problems and were subject to recall. The later ones seemed to fare better. The Galils are reputedly very solid in their assembly while the Golani Sporters occassionally exibit some looseness to the folding stocks. Also, a Galil is often twice as much in cost as a Golani if not more. Both are resistant to the environment and accurate to fire.

- JKHolman
Old September 24, 2008, 12:38 AM   #31
mydixiwrecked00

i give a second recommendation to the su-16. VERY affordable, reliable if u don't feed it junk, fun to shoot and packable. yeah, its not a high price rifle , often over looked and under rated but it does the job and puts a smile on your face knowing it will still put shots downrange accurately and can still look tacti-cool if thats your dish for alot less then some of the others. the saigas are drawing my interest for my next purchase but i have no experiance so therefore no input on them or many of the others.
Old September 24, 2008, 05:56 AM   #32
dchi

Well sofar its looking like maybe a
XCR
M96???

Does anyone own the SIG556? I really don't like the plastic lower, same with the new AR180's.
Old September 24, 2008, 07:24 AM   #33
GEM

The Daewoo is a great alternative -- and parts can still be had (nearly a full page of them on gunbroker.com).

7 days left in this NIB Daewoo 200 -- or at a "buy-now" for $1059.00. Seems to fit your "under $1200" criteria. This one was imported by Kimber in '95, '96 according to the seller's ad.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=110946361
Old September 25, 2008, 06:20 AM   #34
dchi

No one can answer me on the Daewoo safety question. Do all of them rotate up to fire? It is reverse of all military style rifles. It is impossible for me to do with out using my other hand or taking shooting hand off the grip. If it wasn't for this one problem, the rifle would be at the top of the list for me.
Old September 25, 2008, 07:30 AM   #35
Mannlicher

Another suggestion for the AR180B. I have been very pleased with mine for several years now.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 26, 2008, 06:53 AM   #36
StuntManMike

Quote:
Well sofar its looking like maybe a
XCR
M96???

Does anyone own the SIG556? I really don't like the plastic lower, same with the new AR180's.
I like the XCR very much. I have several and they are great. The M96 is not currently in production although that may change.

BTW, The SIG 556 has an aluminum lower, not polymer/plastic.
Old September 28, 2008, 06:26 PM   #37
JKHolman

Daewoo safety switch

OP,
the safety on my Daewoo AR-100 has never been a problem for me. I can easily switch it from SAFE to SEMI. Looking at the left side of the rifle, the SAFE is at the nine o'clock position and SEMI is at the three o'clock position. From SAFE to SEMI, the switch has to rotate clockwise. Going from SEMI to SAFE does require a little more effort, as removing my forefinger from the trigger. On my XM15-E2S, I can go from SAFE to SEMI in one movement, while the AR-100 requires a push down and a push forward for the same operation.

- JKHolman
Old September 28, 2008, 06:46 PM   #38
Death from Afar

If you have to get a non AR- Steyr AUG.
Old October 9, 2008, 12:14 AM   #39
dchi

Sorry about the error about the SIG 556, I got it confused with another rifle. The lower on it is alot different from the original though.

So JKHolman, are you saying the Daewoo safety operates the same as a Ar15 or reversed dirrection? Could you post a picture of it?

No on the AUG, i don't like shooting bullpups. Extra muzzle blast close to the face and the gun smoke from the ejection port makes my eyes water with heavy shooting. Last is out of the price critterial that was part of the spec.
Old October 14, 2008, 03:14 PM   #40
Jager78

The Robinson XCR is a excellent rifle!
I have always liked the Steyr AUG, it is a extremely versatile weapon.
I don't know if the civilian Hk416 is available yet but that is another I would love to own.
Old September 25, 2014, 07:25 PM   #41
Ulysses S Garand

There are numerous alternatives.

Personally, I own a Masterpiece Arms MPAR 556. It's a piston driven AR style rifle, quite similar in operation to the older AR-180's and the leader dynamics t2 MK5.

It is a solid and rugged weapon and exceptionally accurate, and the piston system has a unique function in that the amount of gas pushed through the piston system can be easily adjusted. Four different adjustments, 'single', 'regular', 'dirty', and 'low-pressure'; the single function effectively puts the gun into a single shot, pull bolt operation, regular is self explanatory, the dirty function purges a massive amount of gas through the system, effectively cleaning it, and the low-pressure is for subsonic ammuntion.

It's kind of a mash-up of a number of great military fire-arms of yesteryear, A sort of throw back frankenstein and it gets the job done. I was just happy to have something other than an Ar-15.
Old September 25, 2014, 07:45 PM   #42
Grizz12

Quote:
I want something other than an AR15 or mini 14. How are the Vector V-93? I don't much like copies but I hear good things about the company. The rifle needs to be in .223 and a millitary style. Please if you must recomend some .308 or your favorite AR-15, don't do it on this post. Start your own. Don't mean to be rude but it drive me crazy when people do that.
with all due respect, and I'm not trying to start a debate of any sort, but why?

Feel free to pm

BTW, I have not had the chance to shoot one yet but I would suggest a Tavor
Old September 25, 2014, 11:08 PM   #43
10-96

AAAnnnndddd... this thread just celebrated it's 6th birthday.

However, I would be curious to know if he found what he was looking for and was happy with it.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 25, 2014, 11:08 PM   #44
arizona98tj

This thread is 6 years old. Do you honestly think the OP cares any more?
Old September 26, 2014, 04:08 AM   #45
volkstrm

I would go with the Yugo M76. You can get it in 8mm (The one I have) 308 or 30-06. All real calibers.
Old September 26, 2014, 06:50 AM   #46
Mobuck

THERE'S A "GOOD" ALTERNATIVE TO AN AR 15???????????????

Nah, you're mistaken. At current prices, you'll not find such a critter.
Old September 26, 2014, 07:36 AM   #47
Pond, James Pond

Haven't read the whole thread so this may (probably has) have been mentioned, but as someone who has recently bought an AR, I can say that the other models I'd have looked at in .223 would have been the likes of the FS2000, Steyr Aug and Tavor.

Yes, they are all bullpups and yes they are quite expensive, but I find them fascinating designs with arguably very positive reviews.

If money were no object, I'd love to have bought the Tavor or FN!!
Old September 26, 2014, 08:27 PM   #48
Evan Thomas

The OP hasn't been here in over two years, and I think he probably made his decision, oh, six years ago or thereabouts. There's no need to revive this thread.