The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 2, 2007, 05:50 PM   #1
JeffLrrp

Anyone Carry A Flashlight 24/7 ??

I've seen this type of thread posted in a couple other forums. I was just wondering if anybody constantly carried a light like I do.

Actually, I carry three. I have a Princeton Tec Pulsar keychain light, and another keychain-type LED light that I got free with an order from batteryjunction.com (excellent website !!) on my keyring.

When I leave the house, in addition to whatever weapon I'm carrying, I always have either a Surefire G2 or 6PL on me.

What does everybody else have ??
Old December 2, 2007, 06:23 PM   #2
AK103K

I've carried a Streamlight Scorpion in my pocket for years. I'd (and just about everyone I know ) be lost without it.
Old December 2, 2007, 06:26 PM   #3
SIGSHR

I have carried a Mini Maglite-2 AA cell model-since I got one for my birthday
20 years ago. Best small flashlight I have ever owned, I am NEVER without it.
Have 3 with my initials on them, 2 for dress use (I am a suit and tie man at work), 1 for casual wear. Even bought the wands that go with them.
Old December 2, 2007, 07:21 PM   #4
sholling

I carry the tiny Fenix L0D CE on my keychain. It's about the size of a AA battery but puts out up to 50 lumens, and I'm ordering a Fenix T1 for my belt. I won't compare them to a Maglite. It would be too much like comparing a Ferrari to a Kia. All I can say is once you've upgraded you won't go back.

BTW: For those on a budget (aren't we all) I like the Tenergy CREE XR-E (4W). It's not in the same league with the Fenix but it blows away anything at it's $30 price point and includes 10 batteries. I have one on my night stand and it out performs my 3D cell Maglite.

Fenix L0D:
• Cree 7090 XR-E LED
• Five output modes: 20 Lumens(3.5hrs) -> 7.5 Lumens(8.5hrs) -> 50 Lumens(1hrs) ->Strobe -> SOS
• Four days of survival use (two continuous hours per day on the lowest setting)
• Uses one 1.5V AAA battery (not included), inexpensive and widely available
• 7.35cm (L) x 1.4cm (D) (or 2.9 in (L) x 0.6 in (D))
• 14.5-gram (or 0.5 oz) weight (excluding batteries)
• Made of aircraft-grade aluminum
• Durable Type III hard-anodized finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with AR coating
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standards
• Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle
• Input voltage: 0.8V~3.3V
• Reliable twist-switch
• Includes a spare o-ring, a split ring, and a pocket clip

Old December 2, 2007, 09:05 PM   #5
PPGMD

I always keep a Surefire 6PL in my pocket.
Old December 2, 2007, 11:20 PM   #6
FJR1300

Fenix L0D in my left front pocket, Photon II on my keychain.

SIGSHR- as much as you like lights, you have got to check out anything with a Cree or newer bulb- your eyes will thank you & you'll never go back!
Old December 3, 2007, 08:48 PM   #7
Mike40-11

Streamlight TL2 or Mini-Mag in my pocket (depends if I burned up all the CR123 batteries). I started carrying it because I often needed a light at work then realized just how doggone CONVENIENT it is to always have a light on me.

Prefer the Streamlight. SOOO much brighter. Also a little forever battery LED light on the keychain for when I don't need so much.
Old December 3, 2007, 11:18 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

Can never have too many lights or compasses...

I always have a Coast brand "UFO" light on my key chain. When hunting, I like to also have on me: (1) Small mini-mag lite (2 AAs), (2) Miner's headlamp, and (3) Black Bear Bear Cub for in case I get really lost. I'd like to get one of those Fenix lights to replace the Coast on the keychain.
Old December 4, 2007, 12:32 AM   #9
sholling

Quote:
Miner's headlamp
PrincetonTec at Target $25 for 80 lumens. I like to have one in the car and in the den for PC work.
Old December 4, 2007, 01:57 PM   #10
trailgator

I carry a Surefire E2E constantly. I'd be lost without it. (so to speak)
Old December 4, 2007, 11:00 PM   #11
Lawyer Daggit

A surefire E2E and a small Leatherman are pretty standard for me. Both live in a small bag I carry.
Old December 5, 2007, 12:08 AM   #12
michigun

Highend new technology LED Flashlight

Check this out.
http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx...E%20FLASHLIGHT
Old December 5, 2007, 03:17 AM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Yup. Been doing it for about 15 years now. Flashlights have come a long way in 15 years!
Old December 5, 2007, 08:14 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Yep, not necessarily a 'tactical' light, but I usually have one or two on my person.
Old December 11, 2007, 06:21 AM   #15
Dilbert

I carry a surefire 6p in my right cargo pocket and one of those key chain leds on my collar. They are very useful indeed.
Gun Control-gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old December 11, 2007, 09:35 PM   #16
Mags

wheres a good place to buy these flash lights that were mentoined?
Old December 11, 2007, 11:29 PM   #17
Malexander

Yup, I always have a 2xAA mini-mag on my person at all times.

For one thing, it get dark real early in Scotland and the power has lately had a habit of going out at inconvenient times. I was on my way to hand in an essay a couple of weeks ago when all the power in the university went out. I had to find the hand in box by flash light. I got some funny looks but they were from the fools stumbling around in the dark. I also do a lot of extra curricula work at the student theatre and I find a flashlight comes in real handy.

I'm looking into getting a Surefire after Christmas - though I won't be abusing it as much as I had done my mags which I've used as hammers, levers and so on.
Old December 12, 2007, 12:10 AM   #18
sholling

Quote:
wheres a good place to buy these flash lights that were mentoined?
Surefires and Streamlights are everywhere online and in every gunshop in the country. The Surefires replaced maglite as the very high-buck professionals choice. The Fenix lights that I mentioned are some of the best non-professional (running over them with a tank will break them) lights out there and and offer about the most/best quality light for the buck. They use a Cree LED and computer chip regulation to extend battery life, and are worlds better than the cheapo crap!

I have their L0D CE on my keychain. This is the size of a AA battery and is about twice as bright as a 2xAA Maglite.

I just bought the single CR123A cell P2D Premium Q5 for days that my 2 CR123A cell P3D Premium Q5 might be too big. Dress clothes days. FYI the Q5 is the latest generation Cree LED - the best!

I have a T1 for hiking. And plan on a 2xAA battery L2D Premium Q5 for those days when I'm low on CR123A batteries. Don't forget to find the Fenix-Store 8% off coupon from the candle power forums. Google the coupon.

Cheap CR123A batteries are usually pretty good but can (very very rarely) be dangerous. Good quality CR123A batteries like these are ok.

Oh and stay away from the well named PalmBlaze. They not only put out a bright if oddly square beam, they easily reach 120+ degrees in your hand!
Old December 12, 2007, 12:30 AM   #19
Sgt.Fathead

Be Prepared

I always carry a multi-tool, folding knife and flashlight. I also always wear a belt to hang said articles on! Lately at work I am carrying an AA Maglite with the LED conversion OR a really cheap Task Force six LED model I bought at Lowe's. For personal carry I wear a Sure Fire E2D Executive Defender. In the truck I have a Petzel Tikka Plus headlamp in my tool bag and the six 'c' cell MagLite under the seat.

They bust my chops on the job by calling me Captain Custodian and Batman but also always radio me for a flashlight or knife.
Old December 12, 2007, 10:30 AM   #20
jlhodnett

Great 1W 3.5" LED. River Rock, whoever they are. Got it at Target for $20. Very light, very bright. One AA battery and with the lithiums that I get in bulk at SAM'S, one battery will last over a month with myself using it very often and my little girl leaving it on all the time. Everyone that knows me says I have a thing for flashlights and this is my favorite one 'cause it's so small and bright.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE_00001.jpg (116.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_00002.jpg (102.7 KB, 21 views)
Old December 12, 2007, 10:34 AM   #21
JBriggs

Always have one in my pocket and in every car. Surefire Nitrolon G3- great light just like the G2, except has more lumens and a third battery for greater range.
Old December 12, 2007, 11:16 AM   #22
PaulBk

Surefire E2D 7x24.

-Paul
Old December 12, 2007, 01:03 PM   #23
jwig

Carry Items

At a minimum on me when I am out;

Blackhawk Gladius
Emerson Mini Commander
Multi-tool
Pistol

Good places to buy lights;

Botach tactical
Surefire directly if you are LE you get 20% off
Copquest.com
Old December 12, 2007, 01:49 PM   #24
Retired

Not exactly 24/7, but almost.

Whenever I leave the house, I carry a Surefire 6P. I also put a 6P in my pocket at home once the sun goes down.
Old December 12, 2007, 02:57 PM   #25
Omaha-BeenGlockin

A Surefire E1L carried 16/7---I don't sleep with it---but otherwise always with me.
-------Metallica