The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 15, 2012, 10:21 AM   #1
docnblue

Saiga Help

I am a newly certified Law Enforcement Armorer and I have a friend who has brought me his Saiga 12 ga. shotgun and has asked me to do something I am not sure that I can do. He say's that you can move the trigger guard and trigger group forward on the gun so that a different stock can be put on the gun. My Questions are first, can this actually be done? If so, is this something that a armorer can do or should it be taken to a gunsmith? Secondly, if I can do this what if any special tools would be needed and what is the procedure for doing the job. Thanks docnblue
Old June 15, 2012, 10:29 AM   #2
RedBowTies88

It can be done and is in fact very common. there is a forum dedicated to this type of gun and you will find the best info there. I have done it on my saiga rifle and it was quite easy. however the shotguns may be slightly more involved
Old June 15, 2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Fleet

Well, you can do it, but be aware that your LEO Armorer qualification doesn't license you to be a gunsmith. That would require a dealers FFL, with the attendant paperwork + $ to get the license.
Old June 15, 2012, 07:31 PM   #4
rjrivero

www.forum.saiga-12.com

Will tell you everything you need to know. Especially 922(r) compliance!!!
Old June 15, 2012, 10:40 PM   #5
iamdb

It can be done easily or it can be done right. To do it right the first time, will take more of a skillset than a basic armorers cert. To do it right will require fabrication, welding or soldering, and refinishing. If you have these skillsets, it should be no problem. Good luck!
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old June 16, 2012, 05:51 AM   #6
docnblue

Saiga Help

Thanks to everyone for your information. I can see that because I do not yet have my ffl, that this is something that I DO NOT need to do. I will be calling my friend and letting him know that he needs to take it to a gunsmith for any alterations on his shotgun so that we maintain compliance with federal laws. I worked hard to get my certification just to be an armorer and would like to be able to continue on with my gunsmithing training. Thanks again to everyone for the information. docnblue