The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 23, 2012, 08:16 PM   #1
gringojosh

best camouflage on shotguns

I am interested in getting a shotgun for turkey hunting and was wondering what the best camo pattern would be for my area. I am in New England, hunting mixed deciduous/evergreen forest. However, the turkeys also tend to congregate in cornfields and open areas. Any suggestions? Is camouflage a high priority when choosing a hunting shotgun?
Old February 23, 2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Deja vu

When I hunt turkeys I use a blue shot gun with a wooden stock.

I have never camouflaged a gun. I am not saying that it is not useful I am just saying that I have never done it.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 23, 2012, 08:32 PM   #3
rottieman33

I hunt in New England to for turkey and use a mossberg 500 blue barrel and wood stock.
Old February 24, 2012, 01:36 AM   #4
CLC

Thought you gave up TFL for lent lol. I would imagine any color that matches your surrounding should work. I know in predator hunting its the shine or glare that's a problem. If I was you I would buy what's cheap and Camo/paint what you get.
Old February 24, 2012, 10:39 AM   #5
oneounceload

There have been a few threads here and there where someone went into their backyard and gathered samples of foliage - leaves, ferns, whatever, went to the store and got flat spray paint that was close to those colors and used those items as a stencil over a base coat of something bland and neutral. Whether it makes the hunting easier, I can't say, but the job they was nice looking - just don't lay it down in a pile of leaves while you take a leak or you might not find it again!.......
Old February 25, 2012, 10:23 PM   #6
Boncrayon

best camouflage on shotguns

I have a Mossberg 535 "Turkey Cannon" and if I am myself camoflaged (making noises like a turkey, I want to have something on me that does not attract other hunters, much less the band of turkeys! I would not use red, white or blue, as that are the colors of the Tom turkey. A blued and wood stocked shotgun will not chase away the turkey herd unless you are slinging it around in an irratic manner. It's hunting....not warfare.
Old February 27, 2012, 11:54 AM   #7
ReaperTime

i recently started painting a couple shotguns, cause there easy. good practice. the one in the picture below is simply a test and for looks. If i wanted to acually use it for hunting, i would have gathered samples of near by grass, tree branches and leaves and went from there to the paint store.

Digital is the only real hard camo to do IMO. If your doing digital camo i reccomend buying vinyl stencils off ebay or whatever because using an exacto knife to cut that much digital is insane, i know from experience, it wasn't fun.

the easiest is tiger stripes and its looks great. than woodland, and varients using leaves and branches for the acual stencil. all which can be found on youtube for reference! even watch the kids painting airsoft, there some talented kids out there who taught me some stuff!

good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0769.jpg (253.4 KB, 32 views)