The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2011, 06:54 PM   #1
4T4MAG

.44 Mag load question

I am loading a .44 mag 240grn HDY/XTP with 23.75 grns of H110. I use the same load in my Ruger SBH and Redhawk. I am using a Federal Premium large mag. match primer. After firing, I am getting a few little golden/yellow grains of power that are not burning. What am I doing wrong? I am not using a progressive loader and clean my brass every time.
Old July 4, 2011, 07:37 PM   #2
TXGunNut

Barrel length? Slow powders don't have time to git-r-done in the shorter barrels.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 4, 2011, 09:04 PM   #3
4T4MAG

7.5" bbl length on both.
Old July 4, 2011, 09:47 PM   #4
GeauxTide

H-110 is dirty. I've had good results with CCI Large Pistol Magnum primers. I use 23 grains and still have some unburned. One thing that helped me was to bell the case only enough to start the bullet and be sure that the entire cannelure was filled by the case mouth. You should be able to see the outline of the bullet in the case. The other is to ensure that your sizing die sizes to minimum spec.
Old July 4, 2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Steve in PA

I use 24.0gr of H110, CCI 350 large Pistol Mag Primers and 240 XTPs out of my 9.5" SRH. No unburnt powder.

I'd advise trying a mag primer and making sure you have a good crimp.
Old July 4, 2011, 10:55 PM   #6
TXGunNut

Mag primers worth a try, back off the powder just a bit when you make the change.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 5, 2011, 11:06 AM   #7
4T4MAG

I have been using the Federal Mag Match Pistol primers. I am using what I think to be a fairly heavy crimp. I will try a little more on the crimp and set it right at the top of the cannelure. I can see a pretty good outline of the bullet when it is set in the case. I use a 3 set Redding die set.
Old July 5, 2011, 11:19 AM   #8
BruceM

Heavy crimp is not the same thing as tight bullet pull (neck tension). Be sure that the expander is at least .003" smaller than the bullet diameter. If it is, try a different magnum primer. I've shoot thousands of rounds of .44 magnum handloads using 24.0 grains of H110 with Lyman 429421 or the Sierra 240 grain JHC with no unburned powder thru various Smith 6 1/2" or 8 3/8" M29's or 629's. The key is very tight bullet pull +a heavy roll crimp and the crimp is the last line of defense in keeping the bullet from jumping the crimp and complete powder combustion, not the first.

Bruce
Old July 8, 2011, 05:17 PM   #9
crowbeaner

I use the same load that Steve in PA uses. Try this- use a 41 mag expander to flare the case mouth just enough to start the bullet. This will increase the neck tension on the bullet somewhat and may help reduce the unburned powder.
Old July 10, 2011, 11:18 AM   #10
Clark

I load 60 different cartridges, and the load changes every time I load, except 44 mag, that has been 24 gr H110, 240 gr JHP for the 13 years I have been handloading. It does not burn clean like Blue Dot in a 223, but it is not as dirty as old Unique.

H110 does require a good roll crimp for everything but the stiffest of loads.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 10, 2011, 12:15 PM   #11
Rifleman1776

I do similar loads in my Ruger Redhawk .44 mag.
Use standard primers. Give a pretty good crimp.
I like 110 and get good results.

Tags
powder residue , yellow grains