The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 25, 2001, 02:50 PM   #1
JimDiver

New forum thought

It seems there are a number of instructors here on the board. I think an intructor forum would be nice for those of us who pass on the love of shooting to others. Some place we can kick around instruction techniques, lesson plan ideas, announcements for classes open to the public, etc.

Thoughts? Flames? Nits?
Old November 25, 2001, 03:43 PM   #2
stevetuna

For what it's worth, I'd second Jim's motion from a different viewpoint. I'm fortunate to have a brother-in-law who is well versed in shooting but it would be great to have an instructor's forum to check in with. I don't want to unlearn a lot of bad habits! I know that such a forum would not be a substitute for attending a session with a NRA - qualified instructor. It would, however, allow a place for newbie questions that might get my rookie butt lit up in other rooms! Thanks.
Old November 25, 2001, 04:29 PM   #3
Fred Hansen

If the cost wouldn't be prohibitive, I would like it. I would like to see it cover N.R.A. and Hunter Ed. instructors. I do both.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old November 25, 2001, 09:55 PM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Cost isn't an issue. Practicality is. What defines an "Instructor"? NRA Certificate? "Accredidation" at one of a list of shooting schools?

What's the purpose of the Forum, that wouldn't be served by one of the other Forums already here? To provide a place where student and pro can come together? To provide a private place where "Instructors" can communicate.

I know I usually shoot these ideas down. Believe me, it's not because I feel we've covered all the bases....we're still learning. However, where the author stops at the "idea" stage, Staff has to move the idea thru the "operational" phase. So, operationalize the idea:
- What's the objective?
- What are the rules?
- What time and Staff resources would be required?
Rich
Old November 26, 2001, 02:27 AM   #5
JimDiver

Let me kick this around with a few friends and get back to ya. I see your point the objectives and I sure don't want to make a 5th wheel.