The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 16, 2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Venom1956

AK front post options?

What do you all prefer for a front post?

I was hoping to find something like a FO or NS option but the only one I've really found was the XS sights which are fine. I just wanted to see if anyone knew of any other ones?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 17, 2013, 04:21 PM   #2
seanc

I've got one of these (Ameriglo AK front sight) on my HD rifle:

http://www.primaryarms.com/Ameriglo_.../amgak-715.htm

They've very easy to pick up in low/no light. They're almost like a red (green) dot sight. These are not precision sights, but inside 25 yards, they'll more than do.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:23 AM   #3
bamaranger

sights

XS makes a tritium post and "Big Dots" for the AK, the biggies include a shallow V express rifle style rear.

If you search a a bit more, you should find the plastic, colored posts that ususally come in a pack of 4 colors. Pretty common but not sure who markets them.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:47 AM   #4
AK103K

I have Meprolight night sights on my AK's. They work well, but I would prefer the rear dots were smaller, as they tend to overwhelm and fuzz out at night. Ive actually removed the the Mepro rears and re installed the factory rear sights on two of my AK's, due to the "fuzz out" problem. The front sight is fine, and a nice clean dot. It also works well by itself with the factory rear sight.

While the large, square front post works great at closer ranges, it does tend to reduce the useful range of the gun to about 200 yards or less. I shoot more accurately at longer ranges with the stock front post. I had the same problem with my Springfield SOCOM and its fat front post.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:31 PM   #5
blfuller

An outfit called KNS precision makes different front sights for AK's. You can find info on them HERE.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:14 AM   #6
WildBill45

Quote:
I've got one of these (Ameriglo AK front sight) on my HD rifle:
The flat design means you cannot have a half rotation for the final adjustment to see the dot!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old January 26, 2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Mrgunsngear

I prefer them stock and mount a light on it for night time work. At distances that you could justify firing your rifle in court the sights are usable as they silhouette from the light.