The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2014, 01:12 PM   #1
rebs

two accurate loads for the same buller and rifle ?

I am loading 223's for my AR. I have found two loads that are equally accurate, one is 24.0 of H335 and the other is 24.9 of H335 with 55 gr Hornady soft points. I realize by loading the 24.0 load that I am saving a little powder and it may be a little easier on the rifle. Is there any advantage to loading the 24.9 load ? I am wondering about longer range, flatter shooting maybe ?
Which load would you guys go with and why ?

Last edited by rebs; April 5, 2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old April 1, 2014, 01:17 PM   #2
nemesiss45

Depends what you are shooting... if you are punching paper and they are equally accurate ate the range you shoot, go with the lighter load. if you want to try longer range, try them both out at the longer range and see how they work. If it is a hunting load, id go with the hotter load for the added energy
Old April 1, 2014, 02:14 PM   #3
JefferS

I'd go with the cheaper. I couldn't find H3355 online, but if 24.9 gr of that is actually cheaper than 24 gr of H335, then that is what I'd use.

If you're hurting for powder and can't find any anywhere, I'd use the 24 gr H335 and maybe get about 10 more loaded rounds/pound over the other.

If it is really about long range shooting, then I would use the higher velocity load since that will have less drop than the lower velocity load at the same distance.

Last edited by JefferS; April 1, 2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old April 1, 2014, 09:06 PM   #4
tobnpr

Assuming it's a typo and it's H335 for both, with the same bullet, the logic is mostly as you stated.

But as mentioned above, you don't know without a chrono things like mean velocity, SD, and ES.

Yes- the faster load will be "flatter shooting" as you say. But, if that load results in a much higher ES (extreme spread), it may be less suitable for longer range shooting than the other load.

Lots of variables to consider. But unless you're trying to punch out beyond a few hundred yards, I wouldn't lose sleep over it if accuracy at 100 is the same.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 5, 2014, 07:02 AM   #5
rebs

That H3355 was a typo, sorry.