The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 16, 2013, 09:30 AM   #26
Beentown71

I also believe he was on Auction Hunters when they went to Alaska.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old January 16, 2013, 12:05 PM   #27
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbro
...fouling the entrails with pepper sprays...
I haven't seen the show, but if it shows people doing this, it's both stupid and irresponsible.

It says right there on my can of bear spray:
"WARNING: Bears can be attracted to objects or areas treated with this product. Do not treat tents, clothing, or other objects with this product. Capsaicin sprays have been proven effective in repelling bears only when sprayed directly in the eyes or on the nose. Containers should not be test fired in areas inhabited by bears."

Bear spray on entrails = yummy seasoning...

If they actually did this, they were increasing their risk of a bear encounter. And if that made it into the show, they're spreading some dangerous misinformation. :toss cookies:

A better approach would be to gut the bear and then go elsewhere, way elsewhere, to camp. It's not rocket science.
Old January 16, 2013, 03:39 PM   #28
K1500

Seemed kind of like a staged drama to me. I watched in the same way you might watch a bike wreck.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:21 PM   #29
B. Lahey

Quote:
I haven't seen the show, but if it shows people doing this, it's both stupid and irresponsible.
It didn't. Gbro was questioning if such a thing would work, not making an allegation of it being done on the show.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:35 PM   #30
Evan Thomas

Thanks, B. Lahey. I'm glad to hear it. I'd like to think that pros in AK would know better.

It was Gbro's "as was told" that made me wonder if the people in the show somehow suggested it.

Whew.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:08 AM   #31
pesta2

The show has changed our Ken. When a guy he was interviewing said he carried a Taurus Judge, Ken nodded in pleasantly in agreement. The Ken we know we had told him it was junk!
Old March 25, 2013, 03:32 PM   #32
orangello

^^^ Perhaps he didn't like the judge owner very much.
Old March 25, 2013, 05:18 PM   #33
justplainpossum

I love this show!! Not sure how much is staged (sometimes they seem like they're reading from cue cards -- it's not real like Deadliest Catch is real) but it's a lot of fun to watch, and they have a good balance between gun stuff and personal stuff.

I also like seeing all these women coming in to buy guns and shoot, for whom it's totally natural, and I was really, really impressed by the young woman who went hunting on that island with all the bear because she's in charge of bringing home the winter game for her family.
Old April 13, 2013, 06:48 PM   #34
johnwilliamson062

Well, watching this on DVR long after it aired, but I saw the rack of Nagants on the wall in Kens office.