The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 13, 2010, 08:12 PM   #1
kx592

inconsistant franchi

I have maybe 500 rounds through my franchi I-12 series 12ga. I absolutely love the fit and feel of the gun but its somewhat inconstant to hte point that it really irritates me. Its maybe one in every 25 rounds one day and the next day its flawless. I figured paying 900 for a new gun should work better than this.
Old June 14, 2010, 11:45 AM   #2
BigJimP

Inconsistent in what sense --

feeding ??
cycling ??
something else ??

Last edited by BigJimP; June 14, 2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old June 14, 2010, 03:27 PM   #3
kx592

Feeding I suppose, I let a friend use it at the range this weekend and it was giving him problems, possibly his fault but i really doubt it because it did it once to me, it fired and would either stick the bolt open or cycle the bolt w.o loading a new shell. I never had this happen even at break in which is making me a tad concerned
Old June 14, 2010, 03:41 PM   #4
BigJimP

If it isn't clean and well lubed / I would certainly do that first ....

What was the velocity of the shells he was using ? I have a couple of Benelli Super Sports - and they cycle anything as long as its over 1200 fps / so I keep my reloads around 1225 fps so I won't have any issues.

I don't see that many Franchi's around / but I do see quite a few Stoegers with a lot of feeding issues ....and very few Benelli's with any feeding issues...so I don't know what to say. I suppose it could be ammo related / or maybe there is a burr developing on some part of the action ..../or dirty or not lubed properly ...

I've been real happy with my Benelli Super Sports ( one in 12ga / one in 20ga ) and 6 or 7 of my buddies have the same model ( most at least 2 yrs old ) ....and none of us are having any issues. My 12ga Benelli is about 5 yrs old now ....and easily 10,000 shells thru it ....even though its not my primary gun / I shoot it quite a bit - and I run Rem STS reloads thru it almost exclusively ...and for throw away shells I shoot the RIO, 1oz, sporting loads, the blue hulls ...that I think are around 1210 fps and they've never been a problem either.....

all I can say is clean, lube it ---and try some different shells, see if it matters. Clean and check the mag tube / pull the trigger group / feel for some burrs or something that doesn't feel right ....compare it to another gun that is working better maybe ...if a buddy has one ...
Old June 14, 2010, 03:48 PM   #5
kx592

I looked it over that night and cleaned everything I could on it. Lubed it and slapped it back together, been shooting either estate or Remington 1 1/8 #8's not sure on the fps though.
Old June 14, 2010, 04:24 PM   #6
BigJimP

Check the boxes / there should be some indication of the velocity ...

Estate's are pretty dirty .... I'd try some of the blue hull RIO's and see if the problem goes away. Unless you're reloading / Rem STS are too expensive to just toss away ....although you can sell the once fired hulls for $1 or so a box....

Look for shells that say Handicap / or list the velocity ....or ask around and see what's available in your area. In my area the Rios are available for around $5 a box ....
Old June 14, 2010, 04:30 PM   #7
PetahW

I would ensure that the shotgun is supported solidly by the shooting/shooter's shoulder, and not let "float" slightly - one of the causes of that sort of inconsistancy.

Old June 14, 2010, 05:11 PM   #8
jaguarxk120

Anyway you look at it it's a recoil operated gun. The shotgun needs a firm grip and pulled into the shoulder to work correctly. The older Al48's are known for not working if limp wristed.