The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 5, 2009, 09:24 PM   #1
psychohellbilly666

Needing help. Hopkins & Allen

Hello all. Need some more help in id'ing what I believe is a Hopkins & Allen rolling block single shot 22 long rifle. It's in somewhat ruff shape and was wondering if it is worth trying to fix it up. I am sure it is missing the forearm and the rear sight. The stock is cracked on one side but in decent shape. I am sure they are not that valuable as i picked it up at an auction for about 25$. Any help guys? What year were the produced and app value and where I might find the parts to fix up. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4142.jpg (237.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4135.jpg (219.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4134.jpg (224.8 KB, 59 views)
Old November 15, 2009, 09:43 PM   #2
bop

H&A .22 Rifle

I would strongly suggest going to gunbrokers.com & looking at auction #146452616. Looks just like yours. And he's starting at $200.00. I'd keep that little charm if I were you. OR LET ME KNOW HOW MUCH YOU WANT FOR IT.
Old November 16, 2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Hardcase

Out in these parts, rough shape just means that it was somebody's favorite gun. I'm not an H&A expert, but I would say that yours is an 822 (the 922 had a round barrel). The 822 was made from the mid 1890s until around 1915.

H&A, along with Harrington & Richardson and Iver Johnson, made a ton of small caliber rifles and revolvers around the turn of the century. Farmers especially went after the rifles as an inexpensive means to control varmints. The revolvers were, for the most part, also inexpensive and made to easily fit in a pocket for self defense, back in the day when it wasn't uncommon for a fella to pack a little heat around town, just in case.

You don't see a lot of them around anymore, primarily because they got so much use that they just wore out.

As bop said, it's certainly a keeper.
Old November 16, 2009, 07:53 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

That is a 922. The 822 breechblock is different and the lever does not have that upward "spur". Most of those guns were available with either round or octagon barrels.

Hopkins and Allen produced good quality guns, and there is enough collector interest that if it were in top condition, that gun could bring a couple of hundred or more. Unfortunately, that gun is worth a lot less because of the missing and broken wood. If you ever considered trying your hand at making a rifle stock, that would be a nice gun to work on as the action is simple and doesn't involve any fancy cutouts.

(One of the neatest H&A designs was their "triple action police" revolver. That is the one where they do away with a transfer bar and get the same effect by putting the hammer on an eccentric. Cool!)

Jim