The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 13, 2009, 10:01 PM   #1
ADB

Why do people prefer pump actions over semi-auto?

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm genuinely curious. Why is it that so many shotguns seem to be pump action when you can build reliable semi-autos? I've got a 12ga semi whose only failures to feed or fire were the result of defective ammunition. Underneath it's based on a pump-action design that's now gas-driven, so it's really durable and simple. So I'm curious, why do so many people seem to still prefer a pump?
Old July 13, 2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Katrina Guy

Most prefer semi auto handguns over revolvers, well half out there do, most in here probably have a semi auto .223 or something, but for whatever reason when it comes to shotguns for defensive purposes, the majority seem to favor a pump action *shrugs shoulders* I have two pumps, no semi auto...my concern is do gas seals go bad, either over time or if crud gets on them etc, I don't know if they do but that was a concern for me. I'm not answering your question at all am I *LOL*
Old July 13, 2009, 10:20 PM   #3
Zilmo

A pump just sounds badass when racking in a round. No other sound like that in the world.
Old July 13, 2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Ricky

Shotgun action

I have a Remington 1100 that I've had for about 30 years. I don't shoot it a lot or often, not much of a bird hunter anymore but it always goes bang, never a problem and there is no question about it, way faster than a pump.
Old July 13, 2009, 10:33 PM   #5
greyson97

i think a lot of it has to do with tradition. and old timey ness. not that theres anything wrong with that. I love an old fashion slow cooked wood smoked brisket compared to a processed meat patty thats been formed into a blob shape, breaded and fried.

but, when it comes to guns, I like new. I like technologically advanced. I own a Benelli m4. at the range, i kick ass compared the the pump. I can get my shots off faster, i can explode clay better and fast, and i have NEVER had a FTF or FTE. I even dropped it in the gravel and the gun chamber got a lot inside it. I shook it out, and It fired no problem

I've had friends put down their pumps, and asked to shoot the rest of their shells/clays with my gun

its just so easy. heck, i will say it. ITS A NOOB CANNON. and i love it. point and click.

and for me, i believe a pistol grip is more ergonomically pleasing
Old July 13, 2009, 10:37 PM   #6
bigghoss

pumps are cheaper
Old July 13, 2009, 10:39 PM   #7
L_Killkenny

They're cheaper, reliable and do all anyone will ever need.
Old July 13, 2009, 10:40 PM   #8
Ruger4570

I think many people get "locked into a concept" because they have heard a pump is the ONLY way to go, Pumps are more reliable, the sound of a pump will cause a BG to fill his pants and on and on. I have pumps, semi autos and over and unders.
There will always be differences of opinion, just look at the Remington 870 VS Mossberg threads. As far as I am concerned, neither holds a candle to an Ithaca 37 and I own Rems and Ithacas. Personally, I never cared for the looks of a Mossberg.
I also think a lot of it has to do with PRICE. Some just may not be able to afford a semi auto. For some reason, they will fight tooth and nail that their shotgun, although cheaper than your, is FAR superior.
I have heard all the stories why pumps are better and again it is just an opinion.
I put out a challenge some time ago that I would put a 100 dollar bill on the fact I can shoot 5 rounds through my Berreta 390 faster than you can through your pump of any brand. I wasn't even throwing my Benneli into the mix to keep it fair,,, sorta. Actually, I'd put the Benneli against any pump or any one. Simple fact there is NO way you can shuck a shell out, pump one in and pull the trigger FASTER than I can simply pull the trigger. I think Tom Knapp has proven this time and again.
I have noted in the past, for HD I will stick with my semi auto. I can operate it one handed if needed and that is always a possibility. Can you operate a pump one handed?
I have never really seen the need to put one or the other down. If you have a pump, so be it, if it is a semi, so be it. But for people to come out and say a semi has no place in HD is simply not intelligent.
Finally, as far as gas seals go.. I think the 1100/11-87 are the only ones with a neoprene washer that acts to seal the gas. I used a 1100 for 1,000's and 1,000's of shots at Skeet and never had a problem. I actually made a trip to the hardware store and bought some replacement washers and change them occasionally, when I think of it every couple of years.
As a side note, I had a lady friend that had an 1100 she used for skeet, it finally quit on her. Reason: she never cleaned it and it finally loaded up with carbon and crap. We were at a match and between strings so I wiped it down with WD-40, back in action, even though the gas seal was missing, the 1100 still functioned.
Old July 13, 2009, 10:43 PM   #9
stargazer65

I think its kind of like why do (some) people prefer a manual transmission in their car when they could have an automatic that does the same thing just as well or better. It just feels good.

I don't fall into that category. I use an 1100, traded up from my pump action 4 months ago, and I stopped buying manual transmission cars about 12 years ago.
Old July 13, 2009, 10:51 PM   #10
dalecooper51

I have both pumps and semi auto's. I shoot skeet with both on a regular basis. While follow up shots with the semi-auto are definitely faster, the pump is fast enough and I only have to pick up 4 hulls. Aside from that, one of the places where I hunt deer is shotgun only. PA also requires manually operated firearms, so no semi-auto for deer.

I like both and use both.
Old July 13, 2009, 10:54 PM   #11
greyson97

Quote:
Can you operate a pump one handed?

"whats the big deal?"
Old July 13, 2009, 11:12 PM   #12
sophijo

what you know

I grew up with SxSs, cheap farm guns, worked hard, raised a family, saved some cash and bought some pricey pumps and semi's. Now in my geezerhood; when I open my safe, 9 times out of 10, I grab my Steven's SxS 12 ga. Hardly any blue left and the stock looks like someone built a barn with it. I paid $45 for it used, at the Western Auto store 50 years ago. There isn't a gun on the planet I'd trade it for!
Old July 13, 2009, 11:39 PM   #13
Lavid2002

simple, clean, reliable, cheap, easier for new shooters to use and comprehend. They can do things slowly and watch the process, its not put the shotshell here, press this button, pull this trigger, do it again. lol they can slowly watch the action operate.
I love my pump, in all honesty...when shooting clays I can sometimes hit a triple, but man I get that last clay RIGHT before it hits the ground. Im quick with my pump and I hardly notice when I rack the action its so instinctive, but I know for a fact I could get much faster sight acquisition for follow up shots with a semi.
Old July 13, 2009, 11:52 PM   #14
kymasabe

I shot trap for years, then moved to sporting clays, did it all with an old Remington 870 Wingmaster that I had bought used and never felt like I didn't have enough gun. For me, I prefer the simplicity of a pump gun. I'm also the kinda guy who likes manual windows and locks in my car because there's less to break...but that's me.
Old July 14, 2009, 12:02 AM   #15
zippy13

It's basically cost. If you could buy an American made SxS cheaper than a R-870 or M-500 then the SxS would still be the gun of choice.
Old July 14, 2009, 12:07 AM   #16
Anticonn

Quote:
I think its kind of like why do (some) people prefer a manual transmission in their car when they could have an automatic that does the same thing just as well or better. It just feels good.
Not to derail this too far, but automatics are demonstrably worse at everything from gas mileage, cost, reliability, power delivery to overall control. They have a niche of course, in things such as tow vehicles, rock-climbers, sub-8-second dragsters, suburban assault weapons, and so on. You don't really think that the industry standard is manual in every sort of racecar, freight vehicle, and most military applications because it "just feels good," do you?

Back on topic, pumps are cheap and effective. Sure I could have a perfectly good and reliable autoloader, but I paid $200 for my Nova...
Old July 14, 2009, 12:30 AM   #17
alaskaman94

because if u drop an 870 or 500 in the alaska silt (nasty stuff!!!!!) you walk over to a puddle stick the gun in it rack the action 3 or 4 times then go back to goose murderin!!!!!!!! semi........ well might as well start heading home.
Old July 14, 2009, 12:49 AM   #18
Lavid2002

my gun has been caked up with some nasty marsh mud before :P bang bang bang

p.s I have a pump shotgun and I drive stickshift.... is there a conspiracy
Old July 14, 2009, 05:23 AM   #19
kozak6

Pump actions in general tend to be lighter, more reliable, more reliable with a greater range of ammunition without any adjustments, less expensive, easier to clean, simpler in construction, and are more durable.

However, it seems that many modern semiautomatics are very good, and unless you have a particular need that can only be met by one platform, it's more a matter of personal preference than anything.

And with a pump, half the fun is the CHOOK-CHOOK .
Old July 14, 2009, 06:12 AM   #20
RoscoeC

The one thing I haven't heard mentioned is the versatility of the pump. Go to the range. Practice "load one, shoot one" with a pump and an automatic. Try to quickly change ammo with both. Some autos do accommodate the quick ammo change, but many do not.

In terms of versatility in combat type situations, it is just very difficult to beat the pump.
NRA Life Member
Old July 14, 2009, 07:02 AM   #21
stargazer65

Quote:
You don't really think that the industry standard is manual in every sort of racecar, freight vehicle, and most military applications because it "just feels good," do you?
No Anticonn, it wasn't meant to be an all-encompassing statement. That's why I wrote the word "(some)" in parenthesis. I was implying that "some people" just want to get in their car and have it get them to point B, some want to experience the all the aspects of driving. Not everybody fits into those two categories, and when I said "automatic that does the same thing just as well or better" I meant that it gets me to the grocery store just as well (with less work on my part). I wasn't giving an engineering analysis of which car transmissions or shotguns were better.

kozak6 summed up my thinking:
Quote:
it's more a matter of personal preference than anything.

And with a pump, half the fun is the CHOOK-CHOOK .
Lavid2002 said:
Quote:
p.s I have a pump shotgun and I drive stickshift.... is there a conspiracy
Actually it might be interesting to try to draw a correlation between the two preferences.
Old July 14, 2009, 07:38 AM   #22
oneounceload

Wouldn't that depend on the usage? I see more O/U's in target shooting, more semi's in waterfowling, and more SxS and O/U in upland hunting - or are you limiting this to HD?
Old July 14, 2009, 07:43 AM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While the modern auto loader shotgun is far and away more reliable than most of the older guns with older design lacking refinement or older materials lacking the improved technology. However the main difference that makes an auto loader shot gun inherently less reliable than a semi-auto pistol is in the ammo. With pistol and even rifle ammo you automatically have a nose more suited to feeding reliably but you also have almost no variation in case length, material and design. For instance a cheap shell with thinner plastic in the hull could have flex and compressed spots that will increase friction while absorbing the needed energy for a reliable feed. The shot shell also varies greatly in verall unfired length. Then you also face the wide variety of metal base. A variety of lengths as well as different materials of varying thickness. Shot gun shells being plastic could easily have more variance in diameter do to the loading process alone.
Then last but certainly not least, the variance in powder charge and powder type is much wider in a shot gun shell that an ACP type pistol round.

I could be 100% wrong as I am not an owner of an auto loader shotgun, nor am I a re-loader measuring shells daily. I also am but an un-educated redneck spartan/utilitarian shooter.
Brent
Old July 14, 2009, 07:53 AM   #24
TenmaNeko

My car was actually rated with better gas mileage with the automatic than with the manual transmission. Just throwing that out there. I think the technology has come a long way.

As for shotguns, I like them both. I was pretty firmly in the pump category, but now I am looking at either one for HD.
Old July 14, 2009, 08:10 AM   #25
ZeSpectre

I'm a "lefty". I like to throw shells -after- my face is away from the port

Seriously though, I suspect it's just about price for the most part with a sprinkle of tradition thrown in.

(so why do I like a pump action rifle so much?)