The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Huskerguy

Digital Scales

Looking to buy a digital scale. I just want it for double checking my current RCBS magnetic for accuracy and will not measure every load. While it would be nice to spend a couple hundred I would like to get by for less. For you seasoned veterans which is the best scale in the following categories:

$100 - $150
$75 - $100
$50 - $75
Under $50

Are there any out there you would totally NOT recommend? Thanks in advance
Old April 20, 2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Steviewonder1

Digital Scale!??

Mine is an bar and beam old fashoned, plus calibrated chunks of brass. Works great, check loads at the beginning of making bullets and when finished!
Old April 20, 2009, 10:11 PM   #3
D. Manley

I'm sure there are a number of other good ones but I can vouch for the RCBS 750 Rangemaster and Dillon Eliminator. I *think* with a little careful shopping the RCBS can be had for less than $100.00 and the Dillon is around $140.00.
Old April 20, 2009, 11:11 PM   #4
Tucker 2

The RCBS Range Master gets great reviews. It is made by PACT and can be had from them for about $90.00, a few dollars cheaper than the same in RCBS green.
http://www.pact.com/index.php?option...d=13&Itemid=59

For $130 there is a more sophisticated model with temp compensation +.

I think Midway carries Pact also.

Last edited by Tucker 2; April 20, 2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old April 21, 2009, 09:29 AM   #5
wncchester

".. I just want it for double checking my current RCBS magnetic for accuracy "

Get anything you wish for any reason you wish of course. But getting a digital scale to "check" a beam scale makes no sense to me. In fact, I read quite often that someone keeps his beam to check the digital but not the other way around.

At their BEST, digital scales are no more accurate than beams. At their worst, they're much less "accurate". Dititals work with electicity and have many components that are susceptable to change over time and can easily be damaged.

Beam scales have ONE functional moving part. It works directely off gravity and that doesn't change. If a scale was accurate when new and hasn't been physically damaged, which you can easily see if it is, it will continue to be accurate forever. Electronic damage is usually internal, invisible, and none of it lasts a really long time.

Electronic stuff is NOT relieable. How many fancy computers, copiers, cameras, phones, etc, have you had to replace over the last ten years? Had to replace any beam scale over that same period?
Old April 21, 2009, 10:55 AM   #6
hikingman

Electronic scales that include 1/10 of a grain are adequate for this purpose. Make sure that they go beyond 1 grain to measure .1 grain and not gram.
Old April 21, 2009, 11:07 AM   #7
hornady

I used a hornady beam scale for years and will never get rid of it, But when I started bench rest shooting. I got the RCBS 1500. I read the reviews and it has lived up to all the positive reviews I read on it. The 750 is a nice scale to. I liked the fact I can up grade to the powder unit on the 1500 later if I want.
Old April 21, 2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Ruger4570

I bought a cheap digital scale for somewhere around $75. So far it has stayed right along with my balance beam scale as far as accuracy. I use my balance scale to check the digital not the other way around.
I actually ONLY use the digital scale to weigh and sort bullets, I just, somehow don't trust it for powder weighing.
Old April 21, 2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Doodlebugger45

I just started reloading a couple months ago. I don't mind admitting I was trying to save money when I was buying equipment. I bought a Hornady digital scale for a real cheap price. Seems like it was in the $30-35 range?

I use it to weigh every powder load since I don't have a volumetric powder measure. So far it seems to work OK. I'll let you know if/when it craps out on me.

It came with a 100 gm weight to calibrate, so I use that each time I start and periodically during a reloading session. Other than doing that though, how can I be sure that it is actually giving me accurate weights?
Old April 21, 2009, 11:33 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

There are calibrated scale check weight sets available from Midway and other sources that are a lot cheaper than a digital scale.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.