The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 1, 2013, 02:21 PM   #26
Sevens

Life can be dangerous. If we wanted to strip all the risk from our ventures, I'd recommend -NOT- driving a motor vehicle on public roadways to get to the place where you shoot steel targets. If you do that, you'll have easily removed (BY FAR) the greatest risk to danger out of the equation.
Old July 2, 2013, 10:19 AM   #27
dahermit

Quote:
...I dislike the fouling from lead-only bullets [.22 Rim Fire], so I would prefer to shoot the copper-plated stuff...
I have never seen any lead-fouling in any .22 Rim Fire I have ever owned. The only fouling I have seen, even from extensive shooting, is from the burned powder/primer. If you are using copper-plated ammo in a .22 Rim Fire to escape "fouling", I think you are wasting your time. If your gun actually "leads", you likely have a rough bore.
Old July 29, 2013, 08:59 PM   #28
ShootingTargets7.com

Quote:
I have never seen any lead-fouling in any .22 Rim Fire I have ever owned. The only fouling I have seen, even from extensive shooting, is from the burned powder/primer. If you are using copper-plated ammo in a .22 Rim Fire to escape "fouling", I think you are wasting your time. If your gun actually "leads", you likely have a rough bore.
My Ruger SR-22 fouls badly without FMJ it's had several thousand rounds through it and the barrel seems fine to me.

About splatter, it's not much of an issue really I mount mine like this;

You can adjust the angle by adjusting the backing nut. It works very well and the target is free to move and ring.
Old July 30, 2013, 05:14 PM   #29
dahermit

Quote:
My question is, what about "copper plated" 22 LR ammo? I dislike the fouling from lead-only bullets, so I would prefer to shoot the copper-plated stuff --
I have never owned, seen, heard of a .22 LR that fouled the barrel with lead when firing lead (not copper plated), ammo. Now, if someone else has experienced leading in a .22 RF, please post your experience here.
Old July 30, 2013, 07:00 PM   #30
johnwilliamson062

I too have been hit. 22lr. Not very high velocity coming back, but it wasn't fun anyways. Think the target was at just over 15 yards. Pitted backstop at a decent angle. I imagine the bullet came off the backstop and hit the floor then hit me. Indoor range with about 15 shooters, so no idea who it was that shot it. For all I know someone hit a wall or something though.
Old July 31, 2013, 05:46 AM   #31
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
I have never owned, seen, heard of a .22 LR that fouled the barrel with lead when firing lead (not copper plated), ammo. Now, if someone else has experienced leading in a .22 RF, please post your experience here.
Oh... yes, it can happen... back 15 years or so ago, my buddies & I used to get together on weekends, & shoot dueling trees with our 22 semi auto handguns... it was not uncommon for me, since I hosted the shoots, to shoot 500 rounds on Saturday, & another 500 on Sunday...

my gun of choice, is / was a Ruger Gov. Target Model with a dot scope... I almost always used the copper plated bullets, & usually cleaned Sunday, or early the following week... one week, the local gun store, was out of my regular Federal bulk packs, & I bought a couple bricks of Remington Thunderbolts... shot like normal the following Saturday, but midway through the 2nd brick on Sunday, my groups started going so bad, I was missing 1/2 the time, I went to a target, & groups had opened to like 6" at 50ft... I sprayed the gun down, & started to push a brush through the barrel, & got the brush stuck after finally getting the brush un-stuck, when all the lead was removed, I was literally pealing it out of the rifling, I could have made up a whole new lead 22 bullets with what came out of the barrel...

... went back to copper washed bullets, & never had that issue again...

I'll shoot hard cast in my center fires, ( actually preferred ) but the soft lead used in 22 bullets IMO, needs a harder metal, even if it's just plated ( or washed ) to keep the lead out of the barrel for fast action shooting
Old July 31, 2013, 01:30 PM   #32
Sevens

If there is a crappier .22LR product on the market that is worse (in every respect) to Remington Thunderbolt, I've yet to hear of it.