The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 17, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Gomezy3k

Need suggestions for defense gun for my wife

We have been looking at various guns but are not sure what would be best for her. Personally I think a shotgun would be best, but the ones I have tend to be a bit much for her length, and recoil wise. She is legally blind but she does have some sight and can see and read with her right eye with glasses, although she has trouble with small detail.

I have tried her with my 12 ga shotgun and my .357 Ruger and they are a bit much for her to handle well. I need something small, short, light weight, light recoil, but able to just be point shot since careful aiming is out. She has said she wants something for protection when I am not around, and getting older, if I kick the bucket she needs some sort of protection when I am gone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...
Old December 18, 2012, 06:29 AM   #2
0351A

Suggestions

Obviously a pistol is needed if she wants to carry, but that may be a problem given eyesight problems. As for home defense is do believe that shotguns are the best choice in most situations. Did she try any lighter load shells? I know that target rounds won't have near the effect of buck, but I think it should serve nicely in a home. As to the recoil, if you have the cash there are many with really nice but stocks available. Otherwise, I am reminded that quite a few cases of successful self defense involved a 22, rifle or pistol. It seems to be more than enough to scare off intruders, and still wounds quite handily in the confines of a home. If she really has allot of trouble handling anything bigger, it's something to consider. Or a 20 Guage for that matter.
Old December 18, 2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Perturbed Panda

You may want to look into a youth model 20 gauge. I know Rem 870 youths run around $300 or so. Otherwise if you want to stick to a handgun; I'd say a a full size semi auto in 9mm would serve well. Ammo is relatively affordable, and the recoil is very manageable. If it comes down to recoil and ability to operate a lighter slide, I'd say look at a Sig P238. They are very soft shooting, and have a very light op spring.
Old December 18, 2012, 07:34 AM   #4
jason41987

id go with a pistol.. works well for home defense, and you can carry... definitely a lot easier to grab in the middle of the night than a shotgun as only one hand is needed... and a compact .38 special or .380 would do fine

one i like, and would use for deep concealability and would be quite appropriate for a smaller female, would be the ruger LCR .380 +P
Old December 18, 2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Carne Frio

You might both want to visit Kathy, over at the Cornered Cat. She has the best web site for the
ladies and firearms/self protection.
http://www.corneredcat.com/article/f...n-for-a-woman/
Old December 18, 2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Gomezy3k

Thanks

Cool thanks for the information... Will check out your suggestions...
Old December 18, 2012, 10:52 AM   #7
oldgranpa

I tried everything I have with my wife, but with weak hands she could not rack the slide on semi-auto pistols and recoil was too much for her. She also did not care for reloading magazines. Not even a Beretta 21A .25acp worked even though easy to load with the tip up barrel.
But the new Ruger LCR .22 LR revolver suited her very much. She can shoot it well, trigger pull is less than the SP101 and reloading is easy for her. Recoil is minimum.
Maybe not the best SD but with 8 rounds up close it should do the job. Nobody wants to get shot, not even with a .22
Just something to consider.
og
Old December 19, 2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Buzzcook

A semi-auto shotgun would be an option. Less felt recoil and no need to pump the gun. It can be left ready to use.
If weight is a consideration a somewhat lighter gun can be used. You also might consider a lighter gauge than 12.

When you pick a home defense weapon you have to consider the tactics appropriate for that weapon and for the person using that weapon. A shotgun might not be the best choice for room clearing and someone that has problems holding a heavy weapon also might not be able to clear rooms regardless of weapon.
Where a shotgun is superior is in static places, a safe room or some type of bunker situation. That might also be a better tactic for someone that isn't that strong.

So while a weak person might not be able to comfortably tote a heavy shotgun around they could rest the gun on a bed or dresser, keeping an area covered.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:29 PM   #9
ltc444

to me her vision problems are a major consideration. Can she see a laser dot at the defensive distance she would be firing. If she can then I would recommend a laser or a flashlight which is centered at that distance.

As far as the weapon is concerned 20 gauge youth shotgun might be a good choice. If the 20 is to heavy then you might consider a 410. At close range it performs very well with buck or slug.

pistol wise a quality 32 or 380 with the suggested sitting systems.

If that fails, then a ruger 22 auto with the short barrel and fixed sites would be my last choice. A friend of mine who was undercover with the Chicag PD carried and employed a 22 to good effect in the early 70s.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:03 AM   #10
sakeneko

Quote:
We have been looking at various guns but are not sure what would be best for her. Personally I think a shotgun would be best, but the ones I have tend to be a bit much for her length, and recoil wise. She is legally blind but she does have some sight and can see and read with her right eye with glasses, although she has trouble with small detail.
That describes me to a T. I'm blind in my right eye. I have sufficient vision left to read with my left eye, probably more than she does, but I quit driving four years ago.

My husband and I have a Mossberg 500 that serves as our main home defense weapon. We equipped it with a Knox SpecOps adjustable recoil-absorbing stock because I was getting bruises when I shot it at the range and found the long stock difficult to manage. (My arms are a bit shorter than average for somebody who is 5'7".) I don't enjoy shooting it; I have limited tolerance for noise and the thing is *LOUD*. But I can shoot it reasonably well out to about 15 yards, and the limitation is my vision, not my ability to control the gun.

Quote:
I have tried her with my 12 ga shotgun and my .357 Ruger and they are a bit much for her to handle well. I need something small, short, light weight, light recoil, but able to just be point shot since careful aiming is out. She has said she wants something for protection when I am not around, and getting older, if I kick the bucket she needs some sort of protection when I am gone.
My carry gun is a S&W Model 60-10, a three-inch "stretch snubbie" revolver that shoots .357 and .38 gauge ammunition. I love it, but apparently it's a bit much for a lot of women (and quite a few men) to handle. Point being, people are different, and what works for one won't always work for others. I also enjoy shooting my husband's 1911. Automatics with double-stack magazines don't fit my hand well; I have trouble shooting my husband's Springfield XD-M 9mm. If she has small hands, that might be a concern for her as well.

I can shoot the baby/concealable semiautomatics -- such as the Ruger LCP, the Rohrbach R9, any of the Kahr line -- but I don't enjoy it at all. They're *painful* to handle, IMHO. Most people enjoy shooting larger guns more: the weight reduces recoil considerably.

If you have any ranges in your area that have guns for rent to be shot at the range, or if you have some friends who have guns and would be willing to help with a research project, why not take her shooting to the range? Have a bunch of possible carry guns of all types there, and let her try them all. Then she can tell you which one feels best. :-)
Old December 20, 2012, 12:09 AM   #11
sakeneko

Quote:
to me her vision problems are a major consideration. Can she see a laser dot at the defensive distance she would be firing. If she can then I would recommend a laser or a flashlight which is centered at that distance.
Excellent suggestion. My S&W Model 60-10 has Crimson Trace *and* a high-tech fiber optic sight on it. In low-light conditions, the CT makes aiming a snap. Unless her vision is really worse than mine (not likely since she can read), the same is likely to be true for her. In daylight conditions, the CT is useless but *if* my target is far enough away to require actual aiming, the fiber optic sight works very well. Just be sure to get it adjusted for the distances that you expect to shoot.

As before, though, don't just take my word for it. *Try things out* and let her make the decision. (BTW, PM me if you live anywhere near northern Nevada. I'd be delighted to talk to your wife about this issue.)