The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2012, 05:44 AM   #1
jwrowland77

WCC 9mm Pistol Brass

I have some co-workers that shoot a lot of 9mm and they don't reload (suckers ). Well either way, I've asked them to save to all there brass for me so I could have it too reload. Together they gave me a 12"x12" box that is 4" deep or so loaded to the top with 9mm brass. I finally got around to start cleaning it all the other night and noticed there was a lot of WCC brass in it. I'm assuming they are buying a lot of WWB factory ammo.

I know this is NATO brass and that NATO brass normally has crimps...so I decided to punch a couple of the spent primers out to see if I could remove the crimp with my VLD tool. I noticed that before I punched the primer out that the crimp ring was there...well after removing the primer, I didn't see the crimp there anymore.

Is this normal or did I mistakingly take what I thought was a crimp and there is actually not a crimp in them at all?

Thoughts?
Old August 17, 2012, 06:03 AM   #2
res45

I've reloaded lots of WCC 9mm brass,the crimp on military pistol brass is not as heavy as rifle brass and will appear to be remove once the brass is decapped.

You still need to knock the ridge off the primer pocket so that the new primer seats correctly.
Old August 17, 2012, 06:06 AM   #3
jwrowland77

Do you think I could do that safely with my VLD tool? I did notice that there was a little lip per say after brass was decapped.
Old August 17, 2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Adamantium

I'd say 8 of 10 9mm WCC cases don't need the crimp to be removed. I personally chuck the rest but it is perfectly safe to use a chamfer tool to remove the crimp and salvage the case. I do it on my crimped 5.56/223 just not on 9mm.
Old August 17, 2012, 06:25 AM   #5
Shootest

I thought WCC stands for Western Cartridge Company. Is that the headstamp that the Winchester White Box has? Forgive me but it has been so many years since I bought factory ammo. I have seen WCC Brass that does not have a crimp, and a lot that does.
Old August 17, 2012, 06:29 AM   #6
jwrowland77

Yes. There should be a WCC with the NATO cross and a two digit number on it signifying the year made ie 12 made in 2012.
Old August 17, 2012, 09:20 AM   #7
griff383

I occasionaly have one of these get mixed in my brass, so I usually sacrafice a primer when they get to the priming station. The primer will seat if it hits the pocket just right but about half the time it doesnt. I try to pull them out before they get mixed in but Im only so good.
Old August 17, 2012, 09:56 AM   #8
jwrowland77

I think I'm going to use my VLD tool and just take the ridges off a little that way the primers will seat easier. May get only one or two uses but it's free brass so can't complain to much.
Old August 17, 2012, 02:01 PM   #9
Sevens

I'm as frugal as most of the gun cranks we all know and hang out with. But 9mm is a little bit different. If I didn't know better, I'd swear the stuff actually grows on trees. It's likely the world's most popular cartridge and because nearly everything that shoots 9mm also chucks the brass, it's [b]BY FAR[b] the easiest brass to find scattered all over a range.

It's also BY FAR the cheapest used brass if you were to purchase or swap for it.

Given these things... I simply recycle all WCC brass that ends up coming home with me. Since I sort by headstamp anyway, they are easy to find.

That primer crimp does cause me grief when priming much (but not all) of the time. IMNSO, it simply isn't worth my time to deal with it, so I scrap that brass.

I still have many thousands of pieces of non-WCC 9mm brass in my supply that I don't know if I'll ever need to use.
Old August 17, 2012, 02:11 PM   #10
jwrowland77

Yeah I sort all my brass by head stamp as well, but after getting this box from my co-workers, somewhere between 5k-6k 9mm cases, I now have an abundance of WCC cases. I had probably 3k cases before they gave me the box, but I didn't want to get rid of that many good casings. I am being very picky with them though since I have so many. The ones that look so-so are going in my scrap bucket for future components.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:12 PM   #11
dickttx

I wanted to test some 9mm loads awhile back and pulled out 30 WWC pieces from 08, 09, 10. Just for heck I thought I would try to prime them on my LCT. No problems at all with any of them. Limited test, but was surprised at how they all worked OK>