The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 4, 2000, 11:16 PM   #1
Colduglandon

Need some hints for a middle age shooter. I am having trouble maintaining a decent site picture. Front site seems to blend into target and disapear at times, it has a hood over it. Both sites are stock. I have used the Sgt York method of wetting the sites and that helps a bit. I don't want to shift to a scope and I use the rifle for hunting. A friend suggests using larger bullseye. Like 200 yd target at 100 yds. Any thoughts. Also I had a problem the other day with feeding, I managed to get two rounds into the receiver at once. I had to take the lever off to clear the action. Don't know how the heck it happened.
Old January 5, 2000, 06:20 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Can't help you on the feed glitch, but....

The short sight radius on carbines like the 336 and 94 is little more than that of a long bbled handgun. Going to a receiver sight fixes that PDQ. Almost doubles the radius, in fact.

The aperture on a peep(receiver) sight can be removed and the weapon shot by looking through the hole, the famed Ghost Ring effect. Fast and accurate.I use the aperture in daylight, and remove it for low light times.

Also, for middle aged eyes like mine, a touch of bright enamel on the front sight helps things along. I prefer yellow.

Hope this helps...
Old January 5, 2000, 10:47 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Paul, you may have inadvertantly double stroked the lever. On an older gun if it happened frequently I'd say wear on the carrier would probably be the culprit. But, on a newer rifle and just happening once I'd guess shooter error. I agree with Dave. Try some color on your front sight. You might even consider an optic fiber front. Williams Gun Sight makes a nice one called the Firesight but I don't know how well it would work with a hood in place. George
Old January 5, 2000, 11:00 PM   #4
Colduglandon

Its an older rifle. I'll have to take a look at the action. I will try some yellow paint and see how that works. Any thoughts on a receiver site, do you have any recomendations. When I bought the gun I don't think I fired it more than twice in almost ten years. I used to wave it around like a magic wand. I could not keep it steady. Of course the night before did not help. Now I love it. My old 1917 Enfield got too heavy to lug around. Although I still love that rifle.

[This message has been edited by Paul Morceau (edited January 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Paul Morceau (edited January 05, 2000).]
Old January 6, 2000, 12:06 AM   #5
Mike Baugh

Paul , I just installed Ashley Ghost ring sights on my Marlin 336 and they seem to work pretty well . I like there design a lot better than the Williams/Lyman brands . The set came with a .190 ID rear aperature and I was having trouble with centering the front blade , I ordered their .152 rear and it made a huge difference . Good luck , Mike...
Old January 6, 2000, 12:07 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are two possibilities for playing with sight colors without spending a bundle or actually changing sights. One is model paint, available in small bottles, and the other is nail polish, available in many colors, some of them (IMHO) better suited to sights than women's nails. Both are easy to remove without messing up bluing.

Jim
Old January 6, 2000, 05:38 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've both Williams and Lyman peeps here, and both work fine. No experience with the Ashley, but I've heard nothing bad about that one either.

Testor's enamels as used on model cars and planes works fine on sights and is goodncheap.

To make a lever action hold a trifle steadier, hog a little wood from the stock under the butt plate to move the balance point forward. Don't expect miracles.
Old January 8, 2000, 11:07 PM   #8
Colduglandon

Do you have have to have the Marlin drill and tapped to use either the Lyman or Williams sights?
Old January 9, 2000, 10:09 AM   #9
Paul B.

Paul. If your marlin has two holes on the left side, about 7/8 inch (estimated) apart, then you do not have to drill and tap.
Paul B.
Old January 14, 2000, 08:00 PM   #10
Colduglandon

Yes, the appropriate holes are already tapped into the side of the receiver. I guess I am all set. I am going to a gun show next week in Rockingham NH. I'll look around and see if one of the vendors has receiver sites so I can compare them. With luck I'll find a rifle with the site mounted so I can try it out.
I picked up a bottle of Testors yellow enamel and so I am going to give that a try on the front site. Anyone tried the flourescent front sites for the Marlin. I saw them in the Gun Parts Catalogue.