The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 14, 2005, 11:24 AM   #1
Robin

SW 500 Magnum

Hallo,

I am a new member from Europe, Czech Republic, Prague. Is any member from Czech Republic or Germany? I am no gun expert, I just like firing in my free time (got not much). I am quite peaceable man, even no hunter, but just like guns. I have one CZ 75 and now bought this big SW 500 Magnum.
Last summer I saw the picture and told me - this one I should keep. Really it is a right american making and is really nice.
Many years ago I shot 44 Magnum. Is a great difference betweeon shooting 44 Magnum und 500 Magnum? What should I fire at ? (I think it is a pity to fire with Magnum on 25 m target). Can anybody give me an advice for ammunition ? (new is rather expensiv) .
Thank for your replies.
Greetings from Europe to America
Robin
Old April 14, 2005, 01:14 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to The Firing Line, Robin!

I'm moving your question to the Handgun forum from here so more experts will see it.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old April 14, 2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Whiskey Tango

Robin, congrats, you bought a hand cannon!

Here in America, 500S&W ammunition sells for about $45 for a box of 20, and unfortunately since this is a recently introduced cartridge, there is no military surplus or Wolf Ammo that you could purchase. My suggestion would be to buy a few boxes of ammunition, and keep the brass to reload, but I wouldn't know where to find dies sized for 500S&W.

As for shooting differences, your shooting should be comfortable, since they are fitted with a compensator at the muzzle, weigh 72oz, and fitted with a Hogue grip, I would expect for the recoil to be mild.

To give you an idea, look at the picture below:

Enjoy, I am truly jealous of you sir!
Old April 14, 2005, 11:52 PM   #4
Sodbuster

jak se mas, Robin. Nice to see you here. Prague is a beautiful city, I visited there in 1990 when Vaclav lived in the castle. I still enjoy a Pilsner Urquell. Hey... the Czechs aren't boycotting S&W?
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old April 15, 2005, 08:23 AM   #5
Robert Allison

Welcome, Robin. I am surprised to learn that you can purchase and own a 500 in the Czech Republic, but confess complete ignorance of gun laws in that part of Europe. It is gratifying to learn otherwise.

If you have fired a 44 Mag. in the past you will not find the 500 impossibly difficult to shoot, but having done quite a bit of blasting from both an 8 3/8" and a 4" X-Frames, I have to say that it is not as Whiskey Tango says, the recoil is definitely not "mild". He is correct in stating that the longer gun is 72oz., empty, has Hogue grips with a nice little Sorbothane-style pad in the web area, and a comp, all of which combine to help, but when the gun goes off you know it, the thing comes more straight back rather than recoiling upward, and gives you a definite stinger in the heel area of your palm, especially if you are not wearing gloves. The 4" has a different style of comp which is more efficient.....the new 8 3/8" guns are also going to have that comp which will help, methinks.....and, although it is a full 16oz lighter than the longer gun, to me the recoil seems more mild. The gun bucks up more and you don't get the sting in the hand quite as bad, but it's louder and flashier. I find that the short gun is much more difficult to shoot accurately than the long one.

I handload ammo, use a 400 grain so-called "heat treated" (can they really heat treat lead?) gas-check semi-wadcutter bullet over 40 grains of WW296 (or H110....same stuff) which gives factory velocities and performance, but for about 1/4 the cost.
Old April 16, 2005, 09:02 AM   #6
stellarpod

Hello Robin, and welcome!

I just love shooting my 500. The recoil is stout, but if you can deal with the .44 Mag, you shouldn't have any problems with this big revolver.

I reload using RCBS dies, Starline brass and Cast Performance bullets. I'm able to reload for about .65 per round (not including the price of new brass).

I did notice that Midway had a deal going right now on 500 S&W from MagTech 400gr. for $23.99 per box of 20. This is far and away the cheapest factory 500 S&W ammo I've been able to find. The link below will take you to the page. Just scroll down a bit to see it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eeblastpage...tnum=100348075

Hope you have a great time with your new monster!

stellarpod