The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 13, 2014, 12:32 PM   #26
WVsig

Quote:
Is that true only for 1911s? There are definitely other pistols with external extractors that are drop in parts. What makes an external extractor on a 1911 so difficult?
It is not that hard you can drive it out with a pin punch but I would not unless you are having issues with it.
Old April 13, 2014, 12:37 PM   #27
TunnelRat

Quote:
It is not that hard you can drive it out with a pin punch but I would not unless you are having issues with it.
I know that, I've done it many times. My point is why then do the manufacturers require you to send it in? We have here a number of folks that have had difficulties with external extractors on 1911s. But most modern service weapons have external extractors and are generally reliable. Again, what makes an external extractor that much harder to get right on a 1911? Because it wasn't the original design?
Old April 13, 2014, 12:40 PM   #28
WVsig

Quote:
I know that, I've done it many times. My point is why then do the manufacturers require you to send it in? We have here a number of folks that have had difficulties with external extractors on 1911s. But most modern service weapons have external extractors and are generally reliable. Again, what makes an external extractor that much harder to get right on a 1911? Because it wasn't the original design?
Yes the 1911 was never intended to have an external extractor and for some reason people have had issues adapting on that works. Kimber gave up. It took S&W 2 gens on their 1911s and the same with Sig.

From most reports the S&W and Sig extractors work but IIRC neither company will sell you the part or allow you to replace it yourself. As to why you would have to call and ask them. If I had to guess the tolerances within the 1911 design for an external extractors are tight and if not fitted properly it will not work. They do not want to send the parts out only to have the gun still not function. It is one of those factory knows best kind of deals.