The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 30, 2012, 07:27 PM   #101
allaroundhunter

Heck, if you are getting a red dot you can wait for the irons until funds allow! You really don't need to have them both at the same time.

Just take it a little bit at a time, you will never be completely done with your AR, there will always be something to add. Trying to get it all at once will just drive you crazy

Which TRS models are you finding and I will try to help you narrow down between the different features.
Old October 30, 2012, 07:36 PM   #102
bulletproof

Thanks for your help.

Actually, this is the one I've being eyeing.
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Troph...shnell+red+dot A good friend has this same model, and he likes it, and he also has a variable scope on his also. I've recently asked him some questions about his, but, he hasn't got back to me yet. It has good reviews, and it is in my price range.

I have been looking at the holograph types, but, I haven't found one that I'm comfortable with yet. I did find this one, but it has only 1 review, but it's good. I also saw this same model on another site, but they had discontinued it for some reason.. They did not say why.http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/SCP-933

I was looking at the holographs cause I like the idea of both eyes open. I don't know if the Bushnell TRS-25 can be used with both eyes open or not.?

Last edited by bulletproof; October 30, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old October 30, 2012, 07:48 PM   #103
allaroundhunter

Any 1x optic is designed to be used with both eyes open, so yes, the TRS will work fine with that.

The difference between the two is that you are looking at a tube style red dot vs. an open style red dot. I personally prefer an open style to a tube, but everyone has different preferences on that one.
Old October 30, 2012, 08:46 PM   #104
Metal god

Im going to the range tomorrow . I'll tell what Im going to do . I'll bring "little EVIL" ( yes I named my AR ) And I will run it hard and get the gas block as hot as I can . That way we will both know if the Magpul sights can be on the gas block or if they melt and lose zero . I will explain what I did and I will post the results with pictures of the sights and the targets .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 30, 2012, 08:55 PM   #105
Metal god

Quote:
Just take it a little bit at a time, you will never be completely done with your AR, there will always be something to add. Trying to get it all at once will just drive you crazy
Yes this is so true . I have both types of red-dot and they both work fine . I like the round ones on the AR . More of a looks thing rather then function .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 30, 2012, 11:38 PM   #106
bulletproof

Quote: Trying to get it all at once will just drive you crazy.

1) Ain't it so! Shoulda told me sooner. I'm just looking for the best sight picture, and quick target acquisition as I can get, and of course, price always comes into play.

2) And, actually, after all the comparisons I've made, it seems like the Bushnell TRS-25 meets most, if not all, of the requirements.

3) Hey Mg, what's the sight on your Ruger Mark III?

4) Mg, will be looking forward to your range experience tomorrow. BTW, "little EVIL" isn't the rifle that has the Red Dot on it that "Lost Zero" is it?
Old October 30, 2012, 11:56 PM   #107
Metal god

Quote:
4) Mg, will be looking forward to your range experience tomorrow. BTW, "little EVIL" isn't the rifle that has the Red Dot on it that "Lost Zero" is it?
It is the very same one . I will also be testing that red dot out as well . I plan to leave it on the gun all day while I do a bunch of rapid fire and I may even bang it around a llitle . I will let you know how it goes .

As for the sight on my ruger . It's http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i01
When I got it in the mail it had some scratchs on it and amazon gave half my money back so it cost me $18 and it works great . At ten yards I can put 10 shots through a dime size hole .

Old October 31, 2012, 12:31 AM   #108
bulletproof

Do you know if the Weaver style mount, that comes with the Bushnell TRS-25, won't that fit on my S&W M&P rail?

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Troph...shnell+red+dot
Old October 31, 2012, 12:37 AM   #109
allaroundhunter

Yes, it will fit the top rail of your M&P without a problem
Old October 31, 2012, 06:21 PM   #110
bulletproof

Thanks, glad to get that info!! I kinda suspected that it would but, was not 100%.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:40 AM   #111
Metal god

Well I'm back from the range and have nothing really good to report . I know you know the details of what I was going to do . I'm just writing my full review of my test cus I''m going to start a thread dedicated to the front sight and mounting it to a gas block . This way I will only have to write it once copy and paste .

Lets start with the Magpul MBUS gen 2.

I have the sght mounted to the my gas block ( against the recmmendations of Magpul ). My plan was to fire 100 rounds quickly through the gun to get the gas block and front sight very hot .

I started by making sure the Iron sights were zeroed and then fired a five shot group ( the entire test was conducted at 50 yards ). Unfortunately I lost or misplaced that target . I can tell you they were on target about 3 MOA .( 2 low-2 high and 1 dead center )

I then fired 100 rounds in 82 seconds ( timed ) . When I finished the barrel was smoking and I could smell something that smelled alot like plastic burning Here is the front sight right after the test and the target I shot . I had the front sight down cus I was using my red dot to stay on target for the test .

I let everything cool down and fired a five shot group again . Here is the target ( it's the group on the right ). As you can see the shots are high and to the left . Not uber bad but this is only at 50 yards . At 100 yards that would be a big time mis .

I then re-zeroed the sights and they seemed to work fine . The front sight is still solid and operates just fine but IMO it did lose zero .

Now for the Red-dot (test was conducted at 50 yards ) . I did sight it in right before I did the 100 round test above . As you can see from the 100 round test it apears that the sight moved up from the original zero ( the original zeroed target was also on the target I lost ). I was bumbed about it moving so I re-zeroed it ( target on left ) then put the gun up for about an hour . Before I started shooting it again . I took my 4 in 1 screw driver and banged the scope about 8 times with the handle side pretty good ( front , back ,top ,side, ) . I then shot 30 rounds quikly , let the gun rest a minute or so and shot a 5 shot group ( middle ) . It apears to have held zero this time even after me banging on it .

Im not sure if it just needed to settle in to stay zeroed or if it will just lose zero again next time I go . I left the red-dot on the gun . Next time I go to the range I will check and see if it is still holding zero . Now that I have data and targets to compare it too.I will know right away and should not have to do as much next time . I may be in denial but Im not ready to give up on this sight just yet . However I can not in good conscience recommend it at this time .

Hope this helps . It was alot of fun doing the test .

Last edited by Metal god; November 1, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old November 1, 2012, 10:04 PM   #112
bulletproof

I don't have time to post much at the moment, but, it looks as if you got some good pics. Thanks for posting'em!

When I come back I'll tell y'll about what I ordered today!
Old November 3, 2012, 11:30 PM   #113
bulletproof

Well, I placed an order 11/01/12, & I thought I'd post my selections now for ya'll to see. I apologize Metal, that I still haven't had time to read your Range report as close as I'd like, so I'l hold off on my reply, if you don't mind. 24 hours just ain't as long, for me, as it used to be! So, with that in mind, here's what I ordered.

1) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
I decided to go with this because the majority of the reviews were very positive, and I was tired of looking. And, I could not find a holograph that I was comfortable with, even though I think I might have liked it better, but, I have no proof of that.

2) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i02

Okay, I ordered this because I saw a you tube or read somewhere that this would be needed to co-witness this red dot with iron sights, in the 1/3 picture(?). I hope you know what I'm meaning with the 1/3 picture, but, I can't remember the proper description for the co-witness thingy. This may help my explanation. I know I saw one you tube, and the fella had a different riser, and the sight picture was up higher, but, he said it still worked for him. So, I still plan on getting iron sites sooner, rather than later, I hope.

3) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01

Now, I don't know if this thing will work or not. I've never used a bore sighter before, but, thought with the price of ammo these days, it might pay for itself. There were both positive and negative reviews for this thing. So, I don't know. Any of ya'll have experience with bore sighters in general, or maybe even this model???

4) So, what do you think of my selections???????
Old November 4, 2012, 12:00 AM   #114
Metal god

I like what you got and I think you will enjoy the red-dot alot . As for the bore sight laser . I have that very model and it works just fine . I've used it at least 15 times and I have always been on paper at 50 yards .

There are two thngs worth noting about the sighter . 1 ) It worked on my ARs but because of the flash hider it may not seat perfect . 2 ) This will help for the AR issue . Sometimes the laser is not calibrated perfectly .

What I do is sight the rifle in as directed then turn the bore sight a 1/2 turn making sure it's still firmly in place and look down/through the sight again. If your sight is still lined up with the dot from the bore sight it's calibrated well . Mine is not . When you turn the bore sight you can see the area that the bore sight dot moves . I just find the middle ground of wear I see the dot move around .Sorry Im having a hard time thinking of a better way to explain this . When you use the bore sight you will see what I mean about all this . Now that I've scared the hell out of you how else may I be of help .

Don't worry it works fine , you should not have a problem .

EDIT : OK I just tested someting out with 3 of my rifles and it works . If you have a scoped rifle that you know is zeroed . you can test the bore sighter with that gun first . Just turn the bore sighter tell the dot lines up with the cross hires ( as close as you can get it ) then mark the the bore sight so you know what position to put it in for the rest of your rifles . I marked mine so it should always be facing striaght up . When I put it in my other two rifles that I know are sighted in . It lined up almost perfect .Definitely close enough to get on paper at 50 yards and as close as it lined up I bet I would be on paper at 100 yds .

Last edited by Metal god; November 4, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:15 AM   #115
tdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
Well, I placed an order 11/01/12, & I thought I'd post my selections now for ya'll to see. I apologize Metal, that I still haven't had time to read your Range report as close as I'd like, so I'l hold off on my reply, if you don't mind. 24 hours just ain't as long, for me, as it used to be! So, with that in mind, here's what I ordered.

1) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
I decided to go with this because the majority of the reviews were very positive, and I was tired of looking. And, I could not find a holograph that I was comfortable with, even though I think I might have liked it better, but, I have no proof of that.

2) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i02

Okay, I ordered this because I saw a you tube or read somewhere that this would be needed to co-witness this red dot with iron sights, in the 1/3 picture(?). I hope you know what I'm meaning with the 1/3 picture, but, I can't remember the proper description for the co-witness thingy. This may help my explanation. I know I saw one you tube, and the fella had a different riser, and the sight picture was up higher, but, he said it still worked for him. So, I still plan on getting iron sites sooner, rather than later, I hope.

3) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01

Now, I don't know if this thing will work or not. I've never used a bore sighter before, but, thought with the price of ammo these days, it might pay for itself. There were both positive and negative reviews for this thing. So, I don't know. Any of ya'll have experience with bore sighters in general, or maybe even this model???

4) So, what do you think of my selections???????
I bought the same red dot and riser mount and I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow to try it out!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
Old November 4, 2012, 12:32 AM   #116
Metal god

Quote:
I bought the same red dot and riser mount and I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow to try it out!
WOO HOO , this is getting exciting .

Did you mount it to your rifle with the riser ?

If you have iron sights , does it line up with them so you can co-witness them both .

I can't wait to here how they all work together . make sure you update us on how it goes

Old November 4, 2012, 12:42 AM   #117
tdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
WOO HOO , this is getting exciting .

Did you mount it to your rifle with the riser ?

If you have iron sights , does it line up with them so you can co-witness them both .

I can't wait to here how they all work together . make sure you update us on how it goes
Yep, it all mounted real nicely. Coupled with magpul mbus rear site and A2 front site. Cowitness is in lower 1/3.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
Old November 4, 2012, 02:27 PM   #118
tdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Yep, it all mounted real nicely. Coupled with magpul mbus rear site and A2 front site. Cowitness is in lower 1/3.
Here's what it looks like mounted to my rifle. Sadly, I won't get the range today; have to wait until tomorrow or Tuesday.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old November 6, 2012, 01:54 AM   #119
Justice06RR

Bulletproof, I think you did good. The Bushnell TRS is an excellent red dot.

My roomate has it on his AR and it is very compact and high quality for the price.
Old November 8, 2012, 02:16 PM   #120
tdawg

Finally got to go to the range! This is my first AR and last night was the first time I've ever even fired any AR. What fun! I was expecting some strong recoil, but man is it light; I think my 9mm pistol has more recoil! The rifle feels superb tucked into my shoulder and the trigger felt very crisp.

Based on the 80 rounds I put down range, I have a lot of work to do in terms of accuracy and precision, but I can't wait to try some more. I really need to work on trigger control / trigger pull, holding technique / support, and based on the little recoil, support hand / off hand shooting. I also may have messed up the zero on my red dot and am not 100% confident my irons are zeroed, I need a dead shot to calibrate my sights. My rifle range tops out at 25 yards, which is good considering my eye sight. .

Old November 13, 2012, 09:05 PM   #121
bulletproof

damd, i just posted a long reply and it told me I was not logged in, when I know I certainly was logged in. So, now I lost my long post, and don't have time to redo it! Why does it do that?

I'll just say that the TRS dot in the sight looks a lot like a cluster of grapes, and cranked up to about 9, 10, & especially 11, it has a red haze all around the dot, kinda like a slow motion sneeze with red particles around the dot. Sure don't like that.

Haven't had chance to try Bushnell Bore sighter. More later.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:40 PM   #122
tdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
damd, i just posted a long reply and it told me I was not logged in, when I know I certainly was logged in. So, now I lost my long post, and don't have time to redo it! Why does it do that?

I'll just say that the TRS dot in the sight looks a lot like a cluster of grapes, and cranked up to about 9, 10, & especially 11, it has a red haze all around the dot, kinda like a slow motion sneeze with red particles around the dot. Sure don't like that.

Haven't had chance to try Bushnell Bore sighter. More later.
I usually turn mine to 2 or 3. Indoors I haven't seen a need to go higher. That said, I agree it doesn't look sharp except maybe at lowest power, but I assume that's what we get for $80.

I'm dying to try a nice reflex or holo or red dot sight.

Old November 13, 2012, 09:55 PM   #123
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I'm dying to try a nice reflex or holo or red dot sight.
While Eotechs are blurry to me (because of my astigmatism I have been told), the difference between an Aimpoint and a TRS is enough to get me to fork out the cash.....
Old November 13, 2012, 11:21 PM   #124
tdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaroundhunter View Post
While Eotechs are blurry to me (because of my astigmatism I have been told), the difference between an Aimpoint and a TRS is enough to get me to fork out the cash.....
Anybody tried a Burris fastfire? I likentje price of those...

Old November 14, 2012, 01:38 AM   #125
bulletproof

Well, I was thinking that I might have to return my TRS to see if I could maybe get a better lookin dot. After reading all the good reviews on them I was expecting a better looking dot than what I'm seeing now.

Does anybody know if all these TRS dots are similar to what I described or or some more clear than mine? I would like to know before I waste my time returning it & having to wait for another.

The main reason I opted for the red dot instead of the traditional crosshairs scope is my use for it is a defense rifle, close combat, etc. So, in light of that, I guess if all these TRS dots are like mine, & even if I keep do keep it, I'm assuming that it would still serve my purpose.

Hope someone's got some more info?

Thanks