The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 19, 2008, 08:39 PM   #1
shepherddogs

Shot in slug barrel?

I'm looking at a shotgun with a slug barrel. I've never owned one and was wondering if you could fire buckshot or birdshot through one. It's a smoothbore according to the owner, but I didn't look to verify this. What choke would you expect it to be for shooting slugs?
Old November 19, 2008, 08:45 PM   #2
rantingredneck

Smoothbore slug barrels are just fine for shot. Typically Mossberg slug barrels are cylinder bore and Remington slug barrels are improved cylinder or remchoke.
Old November 19, 2008, 08:50 PM   #3
shepherddogs

I intend to go back and check tomorrow. What if it turns out he is mistaken and the bore is rifled?
Old November 19, 2008, 09:12 PM   #4
rantingredneck

You can shoot shot through it, but you'll get some degree of lead fouling in the grooves and the patterns will stink. Spinning shot column throws a donut shaped pattern. It's not unsafe to shoot it but you'll have some cleaning work to do and the results will be less than stellar.
Old November 19, 2008, 09:13 PM   #5
shepherddogs

Thanks for the info Rant.
Old November 19, 2008, 09:24 PM   #6
rantingredneck

No prob. What brand shotgun is it?

If you check the left side of the barrel you should see markings indicating what constriction it is.
Old November 19, 2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Superhouse 15

Shot

I have a rifled barrel in the shop that blew when the owner fired a birdshot shell and the wad plugged the barrel. The next shot blew the barrel. It looks like the friction of the rifling on the wad dragged it to a stop and made it a barrel obstruction. If it is truly full length rifled, don't risk it.
Old November 19, 2008, 09:32 PM   #8
rantingredneck

That's interesting. Was it a full power load or was there the possibility that it was a squib?

Given that most slugs for rifled barrels have a plastic sabot you would think friction of plastic on rifling alone would not cause the problem.

Last edited by rantingredneck; November 19, 2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old November 19, 2008, 09:41 PM   #9
shepherddogs

Its a Charles Daly. I just like it because its short (22" barrel) and light 6.6 lbs. When I look at their website they show a fully rifled model and one with an extended rifled tube. It doesn't have the tube and the guy says it isn't rifled so I dunno. It may be missing the tube.
Old November 19, 2008, 09:46 PM   #10
rantingredneck

Not much help here on the CD's other than that their interchangeable choke barrels are typically are compatible with the remchoke system so that if it is a removable choke barrel you'll be able to find chokes for it pretty easily.

Good luck.