The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 10, 2005, 10:39 PM   #1
DobermansDoItGoofy

Let Sleeping Dobies sleep...

My dobes are well trained/bonded...ie. they do not accept food from strangers, do not chase bicycles or people out of the yard...and they have certain words that will trigger some aggression/defense...and they are very good at reading body language. They are also a lot of fun and nice dogs...
Anecdotal: A friend of mine told a story about a lady he knows who ran a a small convenience store out in the country...and her nice doberman was lounging gently on the floor at the corner of the counter one night...when a man (drunk) came in and became loud and belligerant...and as he reached for a knife...he suddenly received a quick bite(it required over 100 stitches) from the dobe...who also held the perp at bay...till the local police arrived.
I had one interesting experience with one of my dobes - a big-boned red dobe who weighed about 110lbs. - when I had a repairman come over to work on the central air conditioning unit... He had a partner...and my dobe immediatly took a strange dislike to him ie. followed him but kept a wary distance...and sat across from him very quiet and focused. I could tell he did not like the person. I talked to the repairman and asked him confidsentially about his 'partner' and he confided that he was a 'problem' and had just gotten out of prison a few months earlier... Hmmmm...my dobie sensed it! He got an extra treat! Good Boy!
Dobes and Rotweillers and German Shepherds...require a lot of responsibility and training...ie. if your dog chases someone and that person runs into something or falls down and gets hurt you're liable! However, a well-trained dog is very trustworthy and makes things safer in a very nice way... The same holds true with firearms. If you buy one - treat it with respect and keep it well-controlled and enjoy it. If you don't - it's like having a wild dog that sooner or later will cause you a lot of grief. I also think it's good to incorporate dogs into your hunting and self-defense needs ie. make them part of the plan. My dogs love it!
Old October 11, 2005, 01:11 AM   #2
BillCA

Dobermans are working dogs and they are happiest when they are doing something with their owners. Mind you, they think they really own you but are gracious enough to let you think you run things.

The two dobies we had were raised in a household like you would any other dog. Moderate discipline, daily exercise and lots of love. Both were good natured dogs and there was never a moment's worry about them biting someone unwarranted. Best of all was that anyone near the house was "announced" and most, when they saw black & tan and pointed ears wanted to withdraw a safe distance -- like Chicago.

As much as we're attached to our pets you have to remember that many of them will valiantly attack a threat to their "family" or "pack". I've even seen a sweet Golden Retreiver back a guy down from a possible child-snatching by being as fierce as any Dobie or Rottwieler.

For my money, a dog acts as a great alarm system, deterrent and target-acquisition system. If someone breaks into the house, the time spent warding off the dog is time you have to lock & load while the family gets to safety. You'll know where the BG is by the growling and screaming.

If you plan on your dog performing in a "live fire" incident it's best to get them accustomed to the sound of gunfire (usually with blanks). Look for any kind of Schutzenhund (shooting dog) clubs in your area. You'll have fun with your dog and make new friends too.

And... if you want to get a good night's sleep, try sleeping with an 80 lb doberman curled up at the foot of the bed. You'll know instantly if there's someone prowling about!

[p.s. the problem is getting the dobie to curl up at the footof the bed instead of insisting on his own pillow! ]
Old October 11, 2005, 11:13 AM   #3
Steve in PA

Our red dobie, Thor, sadly passed away last year due to a liver disease, however he was a super dog. Slept on our bed with the wife when I worked midnights....nothing got by him. Very protective....but played happily with the neighbors small kids. He was a 100lb red mlae, who thought he was a lap dog!!

Earlier this year we adopted a female German Shepherd which we named "Nikki".....she's about 10 months old and a bundle of energy!! Right now she is in obedience training, but a super watch dog. Very, very protecive of her house and family.

Old October 11, 2005, 02:48 PM   #4
JR47

While my experience with Dobermans hasn't been a good one (ex-letter carrier) I have had excellent results with German Shepherds. Our last one weighed in at 140#, was solid black, and was 52" in length. He was a giant (vet's term). He lived to be 14 years old, without dysplasia.

The animal was well trained, and considered our yard, and the one to either side, to be his private domain. The only unsettling feature, which we could never break him of, was that, if he felt that he could reach you, he didn't bark. Humans would be corraled into a corner, and held until a family member released you. Once introduced to him, though, you had free access to the house.

He HATED Dobermans. He once killed a pair that had invaded our back yard, and growled at one of my sons. These were both adult male dogs. After that, he would attack a Doberman without warning.

His best friend was a HUGE Rottweiler. They would wrestle each other all over the yard.

After he passed, I've never had the room for another large dog. It's a pity, because I really like the Shepherd breed.
Old October 11, 2005, 07:17 PM   #5
leadbutt

I had a pair of Dobies back in the early 70's, male and female, both white from a breeder here in Va. they where never excepted by the big dog outfits,, but were great dogs.. The male went right around 100lbs,and the female went 120,, they loved the kids and the kids from the block that came over to play. It was fun to watch them, with kids in the back they would start a patrol of the fence line, wasn't any way you where coming in to get them.

Got a call from the wife to come home one evening, told the Sgt I had to go,, when I got there, I found 3 of the locals trying to get in the back yard,, turns out a meter reader had jumped the fence,but had done so with the kids back there,, every thing was fine until he tried to leave,, They both went right to the seat of the problem , and wouldn't release untill i got home.

I still miss them,, they where both shot about 6 mos later, and we weren't able to prove who did it.
Old October 11, 2005, 08:45 PM   #6
armedandsafe

Alright, I'm going to turn the thread just a little bit. I stayed with a frien one night in Verdun. He awakened me about sunup the next morning and asked me to join him in the kitchen. when I entered, there was his ~90 lb dog, sitting quietly in the center of the room, looking intently at the space between the refridgerator and the wall (about 24" wide.) I stepped around the dog and saw a man wedged in there, crying silently.

Apparently the fellow had broken in during the night and the dog had silently "treed" him. He had been wedged in that crack for about 6 hours. The Gendarmes were happy to take him off our hands, the perp was happy to be taken away, but I think the dog was a bit disappointed that his snack had been taken away.

The dog? About 90 pounds of male Standard Poodle.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old October 11, 2005, 09:09 PM   #7
Dwight55

If I can quit laughing at the sight of a properly clipped poodle, . . . bows and all, . . . "Treeing" that dude, . . .

Anyway, . . . a friend came over one night, no lights on outside, moon and stars hidden by clouds, . . . came up on the deck and knocked on the door.

His first inclination that our 125 lb lab/shepherd/chow pup was loose, . . . was when he heard his claws on the deck boards, . . . and didn't have a clue which direction Bert was coming from.

Bert just came up and nosed his hand, . . . turned around and walked off, . . . but my friend will probably never be the same again. When I got to the door, I found one very, very scared individual.

Dogs can do that to a person.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old October 11, 2005, 10:22 PM   #8
BillCA

If you want something to laugh about... My brother roomed with a guy who's cat cornered a guy similar to that in ArmedandSafe's posting.

This guy's "cat" wasn't an ordinary housecat. I'm sure you've all seen what a highly motivated cat in the p***ed-off spring-loaded position can do to a person. Or you can imagine.

"Sam" was a sweet cat, weighing in around 20-25 lbs, including her spots. This playful and intelligent cat was a 2 year old Ocelot! Think of a cat about the size of a beagle with 20 razors on it's feet, big fangs, lightning quick and home alone when you break in.

Guy breaks in through kitchen. Sam equates kitchen noises with being fed. Stranger in kitchen exuding fear. Cat growls. Intruder bolts for window. Intruder misses. Ocelot doesn't.

Sam's owner arrived home 2 hrs later to find a guy huddled in the corner of the kitchen, bleeding all over the floor, begging for the cops to come "protect me from that g**d*** cat!"

I still laugh when I think of it. Mostly because she was ever so dainty about taking food out of your hand!

Below are net pics I included so you get an idea of size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg SAOcelot008.jpeg (84.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpeg ocelot-0008.jpeg (56.4 KB, 83 views)
Old October 12, 2005, 08:51 AM   #9
Evader1

Well unfortunatley I don't have any pics of my dogs right now. I grew up with 2 Filas and also had a Dobey. My Filas were awesome and the dobey was my best friend growing up. He'd wake me up every Sat morning at 8am with a wet nose under the covers to my face, letting me know it was time to wake up! My Filas got old and passed away and my dobey was hit by a young kid speeding down a back road. No dogs right now, but when I'm settled down again I'm getting a new pup, not sure whether a new Doberman or Fila pup. Nothing like have your 4 legged buddy with you taking a hike!
Old October 12, 2005, 12:02 PM   #10
blackmind

I have never liked the idea of dogs being used as security, because they seem like the canine version of a gun that, when aimed at a specific target, will fire anywhere within a 45 degree cone of where it's pointed, and you don't know what will get shot, any given time the gun is used.

People like to pretend that a dog, even a trained one, is a reliable and predictable tool, and I don't feel this is a justified belief.

-blackmind
Old October 12, 2005, 01:55 PM   #11
sreising

Here are my babies. This pic, though, was taken about 3-4 years ago, so Bear (the black lab) was only about 2 here. Big boy for a puppy eh? Roscoe, is our Dalmatian (mixed with a little beagle). My mother-in-law breeds and raises champion Malamutes, and we're thinking about getting one for Christmas. Both of our boys are sweet and cuddley, until they feel threatened or feel that anything is wrong. Roscoe is the "trick" dog...the one that shakes hands, dances, rolls over, etcetcetc. Bear is just plain smart, but is very decisive as to not show it much. He is the one we take outside when the need arises to "patrol" and will show his alpha character in a New York minute!

Shan

Don't they look sweet with their babies tucked underneath their arms?

How we find Roscoe any chance he gets......

The cat beside Roscoe is Shaolin. This was when he was a kitten....he's now over 20lbs and will wrestle with both the boys.....and usually wins!
Old October 13, 2005, 12:03 AM   #12
DobermansDoItGoofy

Alpha Beta Charlie Personalities...

A lot of folks make the mistake of thinking that all Dobies are alike...but like in all breeds...they are all composed of 'individuals'. I had a big laid back goofy dobe...who was gentle and very easy to train...and then I had a little blue dobe who was definitly an alpha female...who was 'easy' to train...but required a different/firmer tact. She would act out in the car sometimes ie. stick her head out the window and 'bite at the air playing with it' or get involved in trying to figure out the windshield wipers... I'd give her a tug as as a correction along with my 'aaack' voice...and she'd stop but then turn around and give me a slight nip at the ear and resume 'playing with the air.'She had a nasty habit of jumping out the car window before the car came to a complete stop. She loved to jump out the window near the lake and run after geese and ducks(she never caught one but she would give'em a work-out') She was a handfull but very trainable. My big red dobe loved to sit across the room and catch french fries from long distance tosses... I noticed my red dobe was very good at retrieving but my blue dobe was just 'not' a retriever. The blue - although an alpha - was more likely to be scared away...but the red was more likely to well-up and become more steadfast...
The funniest aspect of my Red...was that he'd 'fart'(loud ones) and then look startled, then look around the room at all the people...and then get up and walk slowly down the hall...to a place where he could curl up and with a heavy sigh resume his nap with more privacy... He'd sleep with me sometimes...curled up at the foot of the bed...and if there was a 'sound outside the door' his low slow deep growl...was probably a sound about as unnerving as the rack of a pump shotgun... He was alert to sounds beyond my range of hearing - better than any alarm system!