The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2005, 11:42 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

What would you do with these reloads if you were me?

My buddy gave me 100 rounds of .45 acp which he reloaded. When I shot the first 18 of them, I noticed from just cycling a few through a semi-auto without shooting them, that the bullets are set quite a ways back in (more than 1/10th"), just from normal cycling (not a hard jam, mind you). Apparently he put no crimp on them. The powder charge is apparently fine, as the ones I shot were fine, sounded normal and all that. But how bad could this setback hurt me? Multiple choice...For the other 82, should I:

1. Just put them in the reloader and crimp them myself
2. Pull all the bullets & re-seat & crimp
3. Assume that if he failed to crimp, he is likely to have screwed something else up - in this case, just dis-assemble all of them, discard powder, re-use other components.
4. Just shoot 'em; they should be fine... given the low pressure of .45 acp, even a significant setback is not likely to do any harm.

?? Thanks.
Old May 16, 2005, 12:17 PM   #2
cobra81

Trust no one......not that your buddy isn't a good guy, but hey, it's not like you have any of your own money invested here, and even if you did, what's your life and limb worth? If it were me, I'd definitely go with Option #3. A little extra time, free components, and the peace of mind of knowing for sure what you're shooting.
Old May 16, 2005, 12:25 PM   #3
Jim Watson

You cannot crimp a loose bullet tight, there is something else wrong here. Probably insufficient resizing or excess expanding/flaring.
You can set back a .45 ACP bullet enough to increase pressures to the danger point.

Pull them down and salvage the brass. You can use the primers if you take the decapping pin out of the die, but you should run them all the way back through the process. Ditch the powder. I don't reuse pulled cast bullets but jacketed might be ok. I dunno about plated bullets, I don't use them any more.
Old May 16, 2005, 05:00 PM   #4
Tim R

Bullet set back is often times caused by worn out brass, not the lack of a crimp. If the rounds chamber I would have to say there is a crimp as I can't seem to get mine to chamber without taking the bell out.

If it where me I would pull them down and maybe reuse the bullets if I was hard up.

Bullet set back is a big deal as pressure goes up without control. As already, stated I will not shoot someone else reloads (factory OK) in my guns. I will shoot someone elses reloads in their guns.
Old May 16, 2005, 05:14 PM   #5
Peter M. Eick

If it were me, I would pull the bullet, toss the powder on the lawn, pull my deprime punch out of the die and then reload them properly!
Old May 16, 2005, 06:20 PM   #6
G56

Your buddy sucks at reloading, go for option #3.
Quote:
3. Assume that if he failed to crimp, he is likely to have screwed something else up - in this case, just dis-assemble all of them, discard powder, re-use other components.
DO NOT SHOOT cartridges that the bullets are set back in the cases!!!!!!!
Old May 16, 2005, 07:29 PM   #7
Poygan

May I suggest an option 5: share with your buddy your concerns about these rounds. If in fact he did something wrong with these, he's probably doing something wrong with other reloads. Perhaps you can pull them down together and analyze what the problem is. If he's your buddy, he should appreciate your efforts. If he gets upset, he's probably not a buddy.
Old June 4, 2005, 11:13 AM   #8
michiglock

The crimp DOES NOT hold the bullet, it allows the round to feed. Don''t shoot them, disassemble them.
Old June 4, 2005, 12:54 PM   #9
Kamicosmos

Let your friend know, and redo them, perhaps together. He needs to know what he might have done wrong.

You don't mention what type of powder or the charge either. That would be good to know. Some powders are very sensitive to bullet setback and the pressures can go up expontentionally very quickly.

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old June 4, 2005, 01:18 PM   #10
Mal H
Staff

Old June 4, 2005, 05:38 PM   #11
Russ5924

My vote is #3 I'm to the point I hate shooting someones reloads it's a nice jester but one that can have very bad results
Old June 4, 2005, 07:25 PM   #12
Jeeper

Crimp doesnt prevent setback

They are over expanded or not correctly sized. Chuck them!
Old June 4, 2005, 08:48 PM   #13
Bert223

Disassemble all of them don't shoot them anymore, its not worth the risk. Make sure you tell your buddy what is happening to them as well, if hes really your buddy he'll understand. No need for him to risk anything either.
Old June 4, 2005, 09:11 PM   #14
Ruger4570

personally, I am always very leary of anyone's reloads. I wouls either salvage them or dump them.