The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 6, 1999, 05:17 AM   #1
DrJon

Is there anyone here that does varmint hunting in Oregon or knows of someone that has land in Oregon that would let someone hunt on it?

The reason I ask is....... I have been thinking of doing some varmint hunting in Oregon (live in Portland). A friend of mine was trying to put together something a few months back but it fell through because of the snow.

So I spoke with some of the locals in my area and was told that I need to go to Eastern OR. and try to find someone over there that would let me shoot on their land.

The catch is that I have never hunted before so I have no idea where to start let alone who to ask.

It's my understanding that the small varmints are usually just left after shooting them but what about the larger ones (ie: Coyote, Cougar).

Oh, I have a 10/22 and a .223 semi-auto. Nothing bigger at this time.

Thanks,

Jon...

[This message has been edited by DrJon (edited September 06, 1999).]
Old September 6, 1999, 05:27 AM   #2
Long Path

Many skin the hides on coyote and cougar, but they're better after the weather turns cold. Me, I don't shoot cougars, because there's not that many left, and I like to see 'em now and again.

There's a powerful lot of government land in OR. You can hunt in most parts of the National Forests, which comprise a fair amount of open land, too. Try around Bend, and N. of Sisters. Don't remember the name of the lands out there, but I remember thinking what good varminting land it would be. Um, Deschutes Nt. Forest is down in that area. Give their office a call.

There's a fishing and hunting rag that I was reading out there 8 weeks ago that had a bunch of state-wide varminting info... can't recall the name.
Old September 6, 1999, 01:32 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd suggest hanging out some at a gunstore, and looking at whatever magazine selection they have. Some cater to varminting.

Also, there are often other folks hanging around who are quite well experienced, and commonly are happy to teach, preach, and brag. The storeowner usually knows the real guys from the wannabes.

Don't know what kind of calls are used up there, but if hand-held callers are used, you can buy one and practice on your or your neighbor's dog/cat.

If you can be at all persuasive to Wiley Coyote, your .223's accuracy will be fine, 'cause he'll be inside of 100 yards rather quickly.

Coyotes typically come toward the sound, and circle around to downwind as they get closer. You have to keep that in mind when you set up. Calling from a vehicle is easier, if that's allowed. (I've had them circle the truck, 10 yards out, barking and bitching, "Where's my danged rabbit, you SOB? You promised me supper!")

A .22 rimfire is okay on ground squirrels and prairie dogs if the gun is inherently accurate, and you can learn to stalk toward a "town". They may all duck into their dens, but you practice imitating a log or rock and they'll eventually show back up...

And mountain lion is very, very tasty.

Regards, Art
Old September 8, 1999, 03:39 AM   #4
DrJon

Thanks for the feedback!

Looks like I will need to go over to the other side of the mountians some weekend and try to get to know some of the folks in the area over there. Also will give the local Fish & Wildlife office a call to see what info they have.

Maybe I can talk my wife into staying the night so we have more time to look around

Of course if I find I like it, I will have to get a new toy just for varmint hunting

Jon...
Old September 8, 1999, 04:47 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, why not outfit your wife? A nice Ruger #1 in .22-250 with a good adjustable trigger; a Leupole Vari-X III, and a portable shooting table. And of course, full set of reloading equipment for those nice 52- and 55-grain bullets. Hearguards, spotting scope, a nice shooting jacket...

And since togetherness has come to pass, a new supercab 3/4-ton 4WD pickup...

The possibilities are endless.

And if SHE gets bored, YOU wind up with gear.

Think, man, think!

, Art
Old September 8, 1999, 04:56 PM   #6
pete80

Try the Christmas Valley in Central Oregon, 50-75 miles east of Bend Oregon. Took several coyote and sage rats out there. We stalked a few Coyote but shot from the back of a truck at the sage rats.
Old September 9, 1999, 02:06 AM   #7
DrJon

Art:

Good thinking Already got the 4X4 and wouldn't you know it, we have a BIG gun show 1,400 + tables this weekend

Pete:

Thanks for the location, I'll have to check it out

Jon...