The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2014, 06:52 PM   #1
tobnpr

Barrel mounted chrono?

I get this email today from Sinclair about this new product:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting...prod55606.aspx

First thought is, hey, great idea. Simplifies setup at ranges like the one we frequent where the RSO's won't let you touch a weapon on a cold line to make adjustments for target/chrony- despite the bolt being out of the gun, chamber flag, and them standing right there. I get it, liability...but somewhere, some common sense can factor in as well.

But then I look at this contraption and think there's NO WAY that hanging this off the barrel (even if it does work) will not interfere with barrel harmonics.

I see zero use for an accurate chrony that affects barrel harmonics and accuracy. What good is knowing velocity if you can't tie it to accuracy?

Or am I the only one convinced that it's a "given" that it has to affect harmonics, and point of impact is most likely going to be different with/without this device hanging off the end of the barrel?

Certainly nice not to need ten or fifteen feet to the sensors, but I'd much rather have it sitting on the bench (or a tripod directly in front of it)...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 30, 2014, 06:54 PM   #2
jwrowland77

It does affect it. It changes the POI but does not affect grouping.

I have one and I love it. I can see MV as I'm shooting the workup. If it groups good with it on, it groups good with it off. I've tested it.
Old April 30, 2014, 07:56 PM   #3
jmorris

If you ever plan on testing semiauto pistol load pass on it.
Old April 30, 2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Jim Watson

True.
I am hoping the LabRadar Doppler system lives up to the SHOT hype.
http://mylabradar.com/#Shooting-Archery
Old April 30, 2014, 11:33 PM   #5
DaleA

I think I'd shoot a few rounds to get my velocity and then if that was okay I'd remove it and shoot my groups assuming the velocity data would be the same.

Not an 'ideal' setup but (shrug) I have an almost pathological dread of buying a chronograph and then blowing away the screens with a bad shot so for me this thing looks interesting.
Old May 1, 2014, 08:44 AM   #6
jmorris

I know people have shot many a chronograph but I still don't know why. They will read a shot fired a foot over the sensors and if your load won't stay in a group smaller than that, 10' in front of the muzzle, I would say it is not accurate enough to be called usefull.
Old May 1, 2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am hoping the LabRadar Doppler system lives up to the SHOT hype.
Man. That would be beyond awesome.
Old May 1, 2014, 05:04 PM   #8
tobnpr

That LabRadar does look interesting- and extremely expensive as well...
Any idea what retail on that is gonna be?

I've never quite figured out how a chrono gets "shot" either...but as I said, for us it's all about the positioning on a public range where you can't touch the weapon. It's challenging to get it set steady on the bipod/bag zeroed on the target while the line is still "hot", and then have to "eyeball" the placement of the sensors optimally by line of sight in front of the barrel, or trying to peer through the scope without accidentally touching the rifle (lest you get barked at) once cold...

If anyone has any helpful "tips" they've figured out here, please share...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old May 1, 2014, 05:10 PM   #9
Jim Watson

LabRadar is supposed to be $450-$500, when and if.
Old May 1, 2014, 07:14 PM   #10
math teacher

You could blow away a lot of Cronys for that.
Old May 1, 2014, 07:19 PM   #11
jepp2

Quote:
for us it's all about the positioning on a public range where you can't touch the weapon. It's challenging to get it set steady on the bipod/bag zeroed on the target while the line is still "hot", and then have to "eyeball" the placement of the sensors optimally by line of sight in front of the barrel, or trying to peer through the scope without accidentally touching the rifle (lest you get barked at) once cold...

I am fortunate to shoot at a private club, but we still have rules that are very similar to public ranges. The way I set up my chrono is what I learned by reading the various tips provided. My steps are:

- either hang targets if the range is cold, or pick where I will hang my targets while the range is hot.
- position the rifle in the supports I shoot from with the crosshairs where the target is/will be.
- put my inexpensive Bushnell laser bore sighter in the rifle bore after I put the flag in my chamnber.
- when the range is cold, take my chrono to the distance I shoot over it. I use a bright colored string with foot markers on it so I consistently have the first sky screen in the same location.
- I use my hand to find the laser spot and position both the front and rear sky screens exactly where I want the chrono. It has a bubble level in it to make it easy to level
- hang targets, remove the laser bore sighter and chamber flag when the range is hot
- read velocities and print strings with statistics

Since I have the Chrony Gamma Master, all the controls are on the bench top in front of me. I am now set for the rest of the day, never having to go past the firing line to attend to the chrono. I can easily change rifles and never have to touch the chrono.

I did replace the metal rods with wood and marked them where I want the bullet to pass. Just makes set up easier. I also added a permanent screen to shade low sun angles since I shoot early in the morning.

Old May 1, 2014, 08:04 PM   #12
jmorris

Quote:
Chrono on a day with cloud cover, you don't need white sky screens then. Shoot where they would normally be.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:13 PM   #13
bbqncigars

I am blessed with a brake that is no longer made for my .50BMG. The Magneto
Speed V2 chrono just clears it. It will not work on a tube magazine weapon. I am very happy with my V2 compared with what I have to do with my Oehler screens, but there are trade offs in any case.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:42 PM   #14
jmorris

I have a questions for folks that have one, what kind of differences in FPS do you get for each inch you move it back towards the chamber?

I assume it would be similar to changing barrel length and just might be very usefull if one were unsure on exactly what length they might want.

Ever tested it against a chrono at 10'?
Old May 1, 2014, 11:44 PM   #15
jmorris

Quote:
It will not work on a tube magazine
What of you clocked it 90 degrees to either side?
Old May 2, 2014, 01:04 AM   #16
bbqncigars

I am blessed with a brake that is no longer made for my .50BMG. The Magneto
Speed V2 chrono just clears it. It will not work on a tube magazine weapon. I am very happy with my V2 compared with what I have to do with my Oehler screens, but there are trade offs in any case.
Old May 2, 2014, 08:22 AM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Barrel mounted chrono?

Quote:
Originally Posted by math teacher View Post
You could blow away a lot of Cronys for that.

I'd gladly pay that price to be rid of all the aggravation that is a traditional chrony, besides at least one features that no chrony ever made can match... giving an actual speed over a distance.

There's more to a traditional chrony than worrying about shooting it. The setup is a pain. Angle, both horizontal and vertical, height, distance, screens, lighting all have to be right. Having to be in front of the firing line to do that setup. That means cold range. Unless you've got help, getting those angles and height perfect means running back and forth to your gun.

Besides, while you could certainly buy several of the cheapest available chronies for that price, a really good one (Oehler 35p) runs $350 bare bones, around $600 complete package.
Old May 2, 2014, 04:14 PM   #18
jmorris

Quote:
I'd gladly pay that price to be rid of all the aggravation that is a traditional chrony, besides at least one features that no chrony ever made can match... giving an actual speed over a distance.
I have chronographed ammo at distances but I never suggest it, as it seems like a lot of folks have a hard time missing them at 10'.
Old May 3, 2014, 03:28 AM   #19
grisbald

I have the Magnetospeed chrony.

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

Really enjoy using it. Nice not having to worry about blowing up a chrony set up 10' away. It does effect POI when its on the barrel, but not much. If I'm using the chrony, I will take my accuracy shots, put it on, then fire to get the speed.