The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 19, 2006, 08:31 PM   #1
m0ntels

Tactical House Shopping

I'm hoping that in a year's time, I will be ready to buy my first house. I know it's not something to rush into, so I've been learning what kinds of things to look for, and trying to learn what to expect from home ownership. Now, I'm not paranoid, but due to the recent rise in global unrest, I've been thinking more about bug-out routes and being prepared for emergencies, natural disasters and the like. I was just wondering what are some important things to look for? Some examples are:

What kind of heating should I look for? Electric, gas, oil, etc

What style home? Ranch, multi-level

Public or well water?

How much ground do I need for a fair sized veggie garden? (I havent gardened before so I really have no clue how much different plants will produce.)

What are some good tips for increasing the efficiency of things around the home? (Like insulating exposed hot water pipes)

Any kind of help would be appreciated. To give you an idea of where I live, since I dont want to relocate, I am right in between Philadelphia and Allentown, PA in a suburban area, so we have yards, but can definetly still peep in on the neighbors in most parts. I'm also set on a single home only for privacy and quiet. Thanks.

Randy
Old January 19, 2006, 09:03 PM   #2
Bender711

well my only advice is that a suburb is a bad idea in a SHTF senerio. to many neighbors. in general being as far away from other people (with in reason) is good id go with well water, as for gas/electric, a really big propane tank will last alot long than a generator will (gasoline goes bad). having an internal courtyard is good just gives that extra layer. as for efficiency insulate every thing, that includes the foundation which is an often over looked place, and if its an above ground then insulating it your self is a pain (feels like your in millitary traing low crawling for hours on end through the sand and the bugs and heat and dark...................mommy make it go away ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!.............ok post tramatic stress moment over)
Old January 20, 2006, 01:27 AM   #3
Sir William

Look around at Amish/Mennonite homesteads. www.lehmans.com
Old January 20, 2006, 02:06 AM   #4
Hook686

Charleston Heston did a movie called, "War
Lord". Watch it and adapt his home to your home. He did indeed have a defensive abode.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 20, 2006, 01:17 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry folks, but this one's just a wee bit too far off the topic of tactics and training.

m0ntels, hope you find your dream home .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread