The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 31, 2015, 11:53 AM   #1
merbeau

Impression of Boyd's Pro Varmint Stock

After purchasing my Savage 93 with MKE receiver with bull barrel in 17HMR caliber the only part that was a disappointment was the OEM stock that was ill fitting and (to me) flat out ugly.

After some research it appeared Boyd’s produces a gun stock in a variety of configurations for this model Savage. I selected the Pro Varmint configuration laminate stock for the beavertail forend for greater stabilization off rests and the Monte Carlo comb that brings the shooter's cheek up for use with larger scopes. I choose a wood upgrade to cinnamon color and to have checking placed on the stock. Based on Boyd's recommendation a new trigger guard and magazine assembly was purchased to replace the plastic original. Standard satin grade finish and ½ inch recoil pad were selected.

Upon arrival the packing was done well and the color of the stock and finish was professionally completed. The checkering looks nice and the pistol grip with palm swell fits comfortably, although it may be large for a person with small hands I took the original OEM stock off and found Boyd’s written on the stock. Apparently Boyd’s produces many stocks for Savage.

Insertion of the receiver into the stock was snug and did not just loosely fall down into the stock or for that matter loosely fall out after turning the receiver over. The new trigger guard assembly fit securely into the stock’s opening. I am glad I purchased it because the original would not have fit.

The magazine plate was a different story. It appeared the cut was a little deep because the plate fit below the opening on the stock and both the original bolt and bolt from the new assembly were too long. The hole in the back part of the assembly was too big for either the original screw or new one provided. I went on Midway’s web site and found that a shorter version 0.92 inches instead of the 1.2 (so-called standard) is made. I ordered the shorter bolt and after arrival it was perfect for tightening. The back screw was different being black in color so I just broke off a piece of tooth pick into the hole and it provided enough ‘meat’ to tighten down. After going back to Boyd’s web site there is a statement saying that there is enough variety in the Savage 93 configurations that all components may not fit.

One of the reasons that I purchased this stock was that my rings had to be high to fit my scope and the extra stock height made my eye alignment to the scope correct and did not require buying a cheek pad.

Lastly, the gun passes the dollar bill test for a free floating barrel and it is centered in the barrel channel. I do not plan to pillar bed the receiver in the stock.

The stock itself was $99 dollars, $15 for wood upgrade and $35 for checkering so my investment was $149 plus another $35 for the new trigger/magazine kit and $20 shipping for a total of $204 dollars. Overall not a bad investment and in my opinion keeps with the rifle. See picture.

It performs well off my rest and is comfortable to shoot and keeps steady. It can be shot off hand but with the weight fatigue sets in fairly quickly.

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg savage.jpg (203.5 KB, 136 views)