The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 7, 2005, 09:02 PM   #1
MeekAndMild

Machine gun lubrication questions

Where is information available concerning lubrication of machine guns, with specifics as to types of grease, lube points, lube frequency, et cetera? The type machine gun I'm interest in most of all is the Vector Uzi 9mm, but considering all the vague and non-helpful things I've heard through the years I wouldn't mind learning general principles. Even when I had shooting lessons in in the Air Force lubrication wasn't really talked about much. We always assumed the armory guys took care of things.

When I shoot my Uzi (or any semi auto I might be playing with) I put a dab of Brownells grease or teflon lube on the bolt (or other rapidly sliding part) but there is no rhyme nor reason. This doesn't bother me very much at a total firing rate of fifty or a hundred shots a year, but might be pertinent if I keep the gun for a few decades.

Surely somewhere in this wide world there must be a 'Shooter's Bible of Machine Gun Lubrication'???
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 8, 2005, 09:08 AM   #2
AK103K

I've always used either Lubriplate or Brownell's Action Lube on my guns. I always lube the points that show wear and I also rub the lube between my thumb and fingers and put a light coat on the bolt, carrier, springs, etc. I pretty much do the same for most all of my guns and never had any problems and the grease is a lot less messy and tends to attract less crap than oil.
Old January 8, 2005, 10:41 PM   #3
MeekAndMild

That's what I use, the Brownell's grease. And that's pretty much what I do, putting it on what looks like wear points. But I still wonder if floating around the internet somewhere there might be a manual which lists specifics.

Thanks. At least I know I'm in the ball park.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 9, 2005, 12:06 AM   #4
gifted

Surely we have army boys on here that can tell us what they use on thier guns? I'd imagine what's good in an M249 would work elsewhere there's rapid use of a gun.
Old January 9, 2005, 12:50 AM   #5
Greenfurniture

Three letters, C.L.P.

That's all you really need.