The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 05:39 PM   #26
ShipWreck

Old February 12, 2013, 05:59 PM   #27
CSHammond

Quote:
Try to find a used 92FS, or a police trade in, used 92FS. There are many out there, as law enforcement traded them all in for .40 Glocks, and M&P's. The nice thing about the 92 is that parts and springs are easily replaceable, and you can pretty much bring a pistol up to snuff it it needs it yourself.

The CZ line is also fantastic. A basic 75B can still be had new for under $500, and is a great all around pistol.

Both the Beretta and CZ will serve your friend well.
I had a FFL friend already look for police trade ins for the 92 with no luck, lol. That was my first thought.
Quote:
Just have him look for a nice used 92FS or M9. They can be had for $400 in excellent condition.
Nice, used, and $400 just dont go together at this time for the 92.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:10 PM   #28
CSHammond

Quote:
Coming from a huge Beretta fan, if you want the M9, get the Beretta. Taurus version doesn't own up in my opinion. There isn't too much in the less expensive area that will feel like an M9 unless you grab the Taurus. Consider a used 1911?
Jimbob, I would have him buy a new Rock Island .45 if he would. I had one and it was a pretty good shooter, for less than $400.

Good variety of options so far guys, very welcome. I will definitely have him look at the stoeger 8000.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:46 PM   #29
dgludwig

I'd suggest that he give a Smith Model 5906 a serious look. Very reliable, well-made pistols that can be found for well under $500.00 in good condition.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:02 PM   #30
Brian48

If your friend has his heart set on a 92fs, let him get it. It's a fine choice and with politics the way it is these days, he should get it while he can. Other than being really hard to carry concealed for me, I love mine.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:12 PM   #31
Pico

Beretta vs Taurus

I've shot both and there is not a significant difference in the feel of the Taurus and Beretta versions. The Beretta may have better resale potential but they shoot the same. The safety design is much better on the Taurus to me. Buy either and you will get a fine gun you will enjoy owning. Mainly ignore all of the predictable ravings of the pro-Beretta and anti-Taurus fanboys.

Consider this, price at Academy Sports ( assuming they HAVE them):

Taurus PT92 $380
Beretta 92FS $600.

Pico

Last edited by Pico; February 13, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:30 AM   #32
Pilot

Nothing against the Taurus, but the quality, and feel of the Beretta 92 is worht the extra money, even with the goofy safety. I see no need for a safety in a DA/SA pistol, so mine doesn't get used. End of problem.

BTW, I paid $550 for my new 92FS two weeks ago during the height of the panic. My LGS had more than 20 of them in stock. Beretta seems to be able to support their dealers with product, and mine was a made in Italy gun.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:13 PM   #33
Guv

Px4 Storm's a very nice if a 92 is too pricey! Gotta Love ShipWreck!
Old February 15, 2013, 11:25 AM   #34
SgtLumpy

Quote:
Mainly ignore all of the predictable ravings of the pro-Beretta and anti-Taurus fanboys.
I'm one of those "pro-Beretta, anti-Taurus fanboys". But it's not because I'm just pulling stuff out of my buttstock. I've shot a BUNCH of both. EVERY Taurus 92 copy was rough, gritty, stiff, inconsistant from gun to gun. EVERY Beretta was smooth and silky out of the box, one shot like the other.

I think a much more prudent approach would be to instead of ignoring those with opinions one way or another, read, then test for yourself, THEN buy what's obviously the better gun in YOUR opinion.

Perhaps there's a reason military and police depts buy Beretta and not Taurus. I know there's a reason why I do and it's purely a matter of which looks and feels and shoots better to me. I've NEVER heard anyone here or anywhere else claim their Taurus is a BETTER gun than the Beretta. Instead I hear "The Taurus shoots fine" or "The Taurus 92 copy is their best attempt".

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

Last edited by SgtLumpy; February 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old February 15, 2013, 11:39 AM   #35
redhawk45

I like my PX4 storm 45acp full sized. I shoot my sons 92fs but like the PX more.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:50 PM   #36
Chesster

Sgt Lumpy is right. Taurus is OK but the Beretta is by far a better specimen.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 15, 2013, 06:06 PM   #37
CSHammond

I know the Beretta is better, I had one. I was just looking for people's opinions on other ones that may come close to the characteristics of the 92FS/M9, but at a lower cost. My friend is a full time student, working part time and with a new child. So funds are low.

I didn't intend this to turn in to a Beretta/Taurus debate.

Thanks to all who have come up with some very viable options. He still has his mind set on the Beretta, but is open to all options. I personally think one of the Browning Hi-power clones would be the best bet for the money getting one of the very good or excellent condition ones for $250 to $275 dollar range.

I am going to have to get one myself, but it is now a matter of deciding which one. That will be another thread for me.

Thanks all!
Old February 15, 2013, 07:43 PM   #38
Pico

The original posting, FOCUS people....

Lumpy, read the original posting:

He is a full time student, works part time and has a new baby so he doesn't have a lot of extra spending cash.

My question is what other pistol does anyone have in mind that he might give a try at finding, possibly cheaper, that would give similar fit, feel and accuracy as the Beretta 92?

Aside from a heavily used 92FS, the Taurus is his main alternative in a similar gun.

Sorry if this hurt feelings, I love the Beretta and acknowledge it is a great gun. I also don't cry myself to sleep every night because I bought a Taurus instead of a Beretta. My gun is not rough, gritty, or stiff. But enjoy what you have, you should since you paid for it.

Pico
Old February 15, 2013, 11:13 PM   #39
SgtLumpy

Again, the "cost" consideration comes up.

Spend $300 on an XYZ, then spend $1500 on ammo.
Spend $600 on a Beretta, then spend $1500 on ammo.
Either one, spend a couple hundred on magazines. Few hundred on cleaning stuff, targets, eyes and ears, range fees, whatever.

If you don't intend to shoot the thing, get a replica. It'll cost even less. If you intend to actually shoot, train, get comfortable with the thing, the difference in cost over the basic gun is negligible.

Now if you TRY the Ruger, or anything else, and LIKE it MORE than the Berry, then you should get the Ruger. But letting initial cost cause you to get a gun with compromises is not what I at least would suggest doing. Do that with a computer, an iPod, an electric banana straightener. But not with something as important as a gun.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old March 15, 2013, 06:04 PM   #40
Jager78

The Taurus' quality has got better over the years I'll admit. I have owned a Beretta 92fs since 2001 and I have never had any issues with it what so ever. The Beretta 92fs is a solid firearm regardless of what many say. I have found that many that bad mouth it either hate the 9mm cartridge, love Glocks and 1911's and the .45 over the 9mm, or simply do not know what they are talking about all together. The reason that so many police and military forces around the world use them is due to the price and the quality of them.

Some here have suggested the CZ-75. Great firearm but now-a-days they are hard to find for under $600 just like the Beretta 92fs.

Here is what I suggest,

Have your friend look for a used 92fs, CZ-75, or a Baby Eagle II. Another posted in this thread that the CZ-75 is not similar to the 92fs which I disagree, yes they are different but when compared to other semi-auto handguns they are similiar in some ways. Full Steel, similar triggers in my opinion, and excellent accuracy with quality 9mm ammunition.

Also the IWI/Magnum Research Baby Eagle II (Not the Desert Eagle or Baby Desert Eagle/MR9 Eagle) is also similar in most respects. I know that many will disagree on this with me but I have found them to all be in the same type of category when comparing semi-auto handguns.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:01 PM   #41
MercyfulFate

I got a perfect condition, barely fired Beretta 92fs a month ago for $450 with 100 rounds of 9mm.

I got lucky the guy didn't really realize he could jack the price up 100-200 bucks and some dink would probably pay it too.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old March 17, 2013, 03:26 AM   #42
okiewita40

I hope the Beretta 92 has a lighter trigger pull than the M-9. I mean a 12 pound DA and a 5 Pound SA is crazy. I guess the M-9 is what turned me off of the Beretta's. And I was in the military when the Marines changed over from the 1911's in the 80's.
Old March 17, 2013, 05:42 AM   #43
Chesster

I would guess the military heavy springs was a safety feature.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 17, 2013, 07:54 AM   #44
Pilot

Many replace the 92FS/M9 hammer springs with a "D" spring which lightens the DA trigger pull considerably, and also helps the SA a bit. It is a VERY easy spring swap that anyone can do in a few minutes.

I have both CZ-75 variants and 92FS's and they are both great guns. I dislike the slide mounted safety on the 92's but get around that by just not using them. They are unnecessary, on a DA/SA gun.
Old March 17, 2013, 04:16 PM   #45
B.O.F.H.

A stoeger cougar is the best option in this scenario.
Old March 17, 2013, 04:59 PM   #46
Mac 1

Taurus 92

I have both of them, the Beretta and the Taurus. I am selling the Beretta. That's how much I like the Taurus.
Old March 17, 2013, 06:30 PM   #47
CSHammond

How much for the Beretta then?
Old March 17, 2013, 08:28 PM   #48
Skitter

If he doesn't want to pay for a Beretta, but want's the same gun, get a Stoeger, $350 for the same thing as a Beretta
Old March 18, 2013, 12:42 PM   #49
B.O.F.H.

The Cougar has the same trigger and safety set up as a 92. I have even heard of 92 mags being altered to work in cougars. The big difference is in the action. 92s have locking blocks. Cougars have rotating barrels. I have never heard of a cougar breaking the block that causes the barrel to rotate. Op, if your not interested in at least telling your friend about the Stoeger, please state that so I know to drop it.

Last edited by B.O.F.H.; March 18, 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old March 18, 2013, 02:20 PM   #50
Skitter

Sorry kinda biased, Stoeger 8040 was my first handgun and so far I am having loads of fun with it. So far 300rds through it with no jams. 185 and 165gr Winchester, Independence, Remington, Federal ammunition you name it it eats it. Lighter kick than my wife's Beretta PX4 9mm too, both of which have the same rotating barrel and internal parts.

I was told you don't even have to modify the Beretta 92 mags to work in the Stoeger, they just do.

Either or, OP does as he wishes