The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 19, 2011, 04:42 PM   #1
MrDontPlay

Is a BB gun good for practice?

I was wondering if anyone practices with a BB gun? Its quite a drive from my house to a shooting range and I'd like to shoot in my back yard. I was thinking using a semi auto BB gun for some drills couldn't hurt any. What BB gun would you recomend for this? I'm laid off right now so let's keep it under $75.
Old March 19, 2011, 04:47 PM   #2
ohen cepel

I can't speak to rifles much but if you want a pistol look at this one:
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/beeman-p...r-pistol.shtml

Under $40 and mine shots WAY better than anything in that price range should shoot! It's one of the best buys I've made in a while.

I would look at a pellet rifle over a BB gun. More accurate and made better in most cases. I'm sure someone will know of a few good rifles in that price range, I'm just not up to speed one them.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old March 19, 2011, 04:57 PM   #3
MrDontPlay

I'm look for a handgun, thanks for the link.
Old March 19, 2011, 04:57 PM   #4
robhof

robhof

I've got a pump up Crossman pistol that I got at a garage sale for about $20, but it didn't hold pressure and cost me another $25 to repair, but it's taken countless squirrels, grackles and starling. My range accuracy with heavier pistols has improved since I started practicing with the pellet gun.
Old March 19, 2011, 05:01 PM   #5
smince

Gas blow back AirSoft would be better, imo.

They mimic real guns to the point that you can carry them in your actual holster most times.

I use one to practice weekly since I don't get to the range but once ever month or so. I can use the GBB in the garage or back yard to practice drawing, point shooting, shooting while moving.

It can also be used for Force-on-Force drills with a like-minded training partner.
Old March 19, 2011, 05:02 PM   #6
MrDontPlay

I'm looking for something I can rapid fire that is C02 powered
Old March 19, 2011, 05:05 PM   #7
smince

Quote:
I'm looking for something I can rapid fire that is C02 powered
Gas Blow back are semi-auto (and some full auto). They provide realistic weapon function. Not the spring powered junk from WMart.
http://www.onesourcetactical.com/uma...irsoftgun.aspx
Old March 19, 2011, 05:33 PM   #8
TheNatureBoy

A bb gun is definitely good for practice. My daughter and I use a pellet rifle. We set up a target in our garage and practice. The range (private hunt club property) is 2 hours away.
Old March 19, 2011, 05:41 PM   #9
publius

If I were you I'd ditch the condition of semi-auto. The beeman that the previous poster linked should be a great gun. Beeman makes really good stuff, may get one myself. The old sheridan and benjamen pumps are great and the old crossman pump is good too.
Old March 19, 2011, 05:47 PM   #10
hgmike

i have the beeman p17 and recommend it. you can't find a better pellet gun for $35. it's surprisingly accurate out to 50 feet. use only pointed pellets b/c it makes loading easier. i practice indoors with it too. pellet guns help with trigger control. the p17 feels similar to a real gun's trigger.
Old March 19, 2011, 06:15 PM   #11
AK103K

You have to decide if you want bullseye type "target" practice, or something a little more expansive (and fun).

As smince mentioned, a decent airsoft gun will work with your "real" holsters, and will allow you to practice things that you normally cant or wouldnt. The guns do work very much like the "real" thing, and while you dont get true recoil, its enough that with the slide operating, you need to track the sights just like a real gun.

Only downside here is, you probably wont come in at or under your $75 limit.

The "plastic pellet" guns are not inaccurate either. They may not be target grade like some of the others, but they will often surprise you. I have an electric MP5 with an old red dot on it that will put 5-6 out of 10 into the 1" holes on my burn barrel 35 yards off my porch on a clam day, and the misses are usually not by much either. I can easily hit people sized trees and targets at 50 yards with it. The pistols are pretty darn accurate shooting "target" style too.
Old March 19, 2011, 06:37 PM   #12
Don H

Be aware that in some localities shooting a BB gun, pellet gun, etc., is illegal. Best to be sure of the law before a neighbor calls the gendarmes.
Old March 20, 2011, 03:03 PM   #13
ClayInTx

I once had a basement and set up a pellet gun range there. No noise left the house. The children and I spent many hours shooting paper plates.
Old March 20, 2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

If you're determined to use either a BB or pellet gun, this won't help you, but if you have a center-fire revolver (the real thing), you can have your cake and eat it too.

Check out Speer Plastic Training Bullets.

I've used these a lot, and they are awesome. Plastic casings are loaded with a large pistol primer and a plastic wadcuter is manually inserted into the casing. There is no actual propellant charge and they are easily reloadable using the same projectiles over and over.

They have a respectable but tolerable report, and are safe for use in a basement or garage. Use several blankets for backstops at 25 feet.

A word of caution, however. Don't sell these things short. While not fatal, these can cause substantial injury, so normal firearms safety rules apply.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 20, 2011, 04:48 PM   #15
ejhc11

Good for plinking

If your looking to plink then your fine with a CO2 BB gun. With a semi CO2 BB gun you won't practice precise shooting because CO2 pressure varies from ambient temp and also the volume left in the gun. Also, if it shoots BBs most barrels are smoothbore.

If you are looking to improve your skills in shooting very accurately then the rifled pellet pistols are the way to go - the Beeman P17 everyone recommends would be an excellent choice. I didn't even know they offer such a low price pellt pistol. My Beeman P1 spring piston air pistol bought in 1987 was almost $200. Accurate and powerful 600fps.

Oh, I like spring piston vs CO2 because my volume of power is always exact and that contributes to overall accuracy.
Old March 20, 2011, 05:13 PM   #16
brickeyee

For developing accurate technique use a pellet gun.

Nothing is more frustrating then when the accuracy of the 'gun' is easily exceeded by the shooter.
Low velocity puts a premium on trigger control and technique.

When I stopped shooting bullseye for medical problems the techniques transferred over to self defense shooting nicely. as a solid base.

I can REALLY hit what I aim at.
Old March 20, 2011, 05:37 PM   #17
chasep255

Also look into Gas Blow Back airsoft guns. They work very similarly to real guns and you can get very realistic models.
Old March 20, 2011, 05:58 PM   #18
g.willikers

Trigger time is trigger time, and airguns at home do provide plenty.
My present favorite is the Umarex CO2 powered, .177 pellet, blowback copy of the Berretta PX4 pistol.
Very accurate with a rifled barrel, excellent recoil - more than some .22s, and just great fun and practice.
And it seems to hold its velocity right up until the C02 cartridge is just about empty.
It's a little over your price, at $90 or so, but it's a winner.
There's a video review at pyramydair.com, in the video section choice, at the top of the main page.
Old March 20, 2011, 08:31 PM   #19
MrDontPlay

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm not really looking for target accuracy I'm looking to practice hitting multiple targets quickly at close range and drawing and hitting targets with multiple rounds quickly, SD type stuff.
Old March 20, 2011, 09:05 PM   #20
stephen426

In my opinion, Airsoft is the way to go. I have one that has to be cocked every shot, but I practice point shooting with it. I think that is much more valuable than any rapid fire drills since there will be no recoil from a bb/pellet/gas airsoft gun.

While the single stroke sheridan may offer good marksmanship practice, I think point shooting (without using the sights) is much more valuable in a defensive situation. The person who gets lead in their target first (well placed shot, not a superficial wound) has the best chance of "winning" the gun fight.

Get an airsoft gun that is as close to your carry gun and practice drawing from concealment and firing as quickly and accurately as possible. I also like to practice from the low ready position and snap up to my target. When I practiced all the time, I was able to consistently able to hit a 6 inch target from across the room (~15 feet) coming up quickly from the low ready position. Most of the shots actually grouped within 3 inches of the bullseye.
Old March 20, 2011, 09:06 PM   #21
FireForged

You would be developing the wrong type of muscle memory all together.
Old March 20, 2011, 09:26 PM   #22
AK103K

A good quality airsoft that is a copy of what you carry (assuming they make one) will work in your regular holster, and allow you to practice pretty much anything you want, even in the house. Just watch the old ladys knick knacks, the windows and walls, and dont leave any of the bb's on the floor for her to step on.

I made a couple of back stops I use in the basement, and around the house (tends to flip the dogs out though ) that will catch the bb's if you miss, or let them drop into a tray at the bottom when you hit center. I made them out of the foam insulation you can get at Lowes. Just cut out where the kill zone on your targets are, and staple an old towel on the back along the edges, leaving the bottom open so the bb's can drop down, and put a box or tray under it to catch the bb's. Pretty cheap and easy to make, easily moved around, and they last forever.

stop on the right is without a target from the front....

stop on the right is the same one above, but turned around so you can see the back....

The orange ribbon goes back on the target when I switch back to my "real" gun, just as a visual reminder that things are "hot" again. I find it pays to make a verbal (to myself) as well as visual mental break when you stop and switch guns. That way you dont blast the walls and annoy the dogs even more. They'd probably bite my ass if the gun went off, then Id get a beatin and another chew down when mom found out. Shes got those dogs wrapped around her little finger. Best to play it safe.
Old March 20, 2011, 10:49 PM   #23
MP9

look at this..go to practice shooting while moving..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un9NP...eature=channel
Old March 20, 2011, 11:32 PM   #24
Kodyo

I used to be pretty big into Airsoft.
If you are getting a gas blow back one, get a tokyo marui. They are more expensive but definitely the best you can buy.
I suggest this retailer, I have done business with them multiple times.
http://www.airsoftgi.com/

If you want an electric pistol, the CYMA CM030 is the only one I would buy.
Old March 21, 2011, 01:31 AM   #25
jgcoastie

This is best for revolvers, as these loads won't cycle a semi-atuo... But this is similar to Capt. Charlie's post above, just cheaper...

I had a .38 Special that I would target practice with in my basement. I'd seat magnum pistol primers in the pocket and melt candle wax blocks in a metal cup in the oven. I'd pour the melted wax up to about 1/3 of the case and I could do about 20-25 of them before I'd have to re-melt the wax.

Once the wax hardens, you hang your target on a piece of plywood above a plastic 'tote' and plink away. The wax "bullets" fall into the tote and you can re-melt them for repeat use.

There's no powder, they're propelled by the energy of the primer only. When the wax hits the target, the residue from the primer makes light marks on the paper so you can see how you're grouping.

Obviously you'll want to clean your revolver well afterwards to get all the wax out of the barrel...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.