The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 11, 2012, 11:21 PM   #1
TheSILENTtype

Home Gun & Man Cave Room

I am building a -man cage- so to speak.

And am looking for opinions and ideas!

For the first time in 20 years, I have some spare time; and have finally dedicated some to what I have always wanted.. a MAN CAVE which I have appropriately named the man cage.

Due to my extensive and brutally if not blindingly expensive firearms collection, I have always focused their location on security.

I have 2 foot thick concrete basement, with 2inch reinforced steel plating around the entire inside ceiling and floor incl. ( which looks pretty cool ).

I have purchased some garage doors, and had them fabricated with metals, and additionally the entire interior once those doors are opened is encaged in metal mesh.. which in essance just looks cool.

I wont go into too much info regarding the structure, locks, hidden access etc. as that would obviously defeat 50% of this rooms purpose....however, I am looking for opinions about some cool stuff to put inside my room.

Hopefully you guys have some experience with things like gun racks, tvs, computer systems, security systems, power reserves etc.etc.etc.

I am really open to any ideas, but be sure and include company and model info... as I actually plan to BUY the seemingly best suggested ideas.

As you guys fireoff ideas and I have things delivered, I will be sure to do regular picture updates.

I realize this is a broad request.. but fire for effect.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

Can't add much, you seem to have it pretty well thought out already. Are you retired? Would be a pity to build that room them get transfered.
As for "cool" stuff. Your personal interests will dictate that. My room has collections of what I like. That includes a tomahawk collection, a powderhorn collection, photographs, etc.
Do show us your progress. Enjoy.
Old September 12, 2012, 02:05 PM   #3
TheSILENTtype

Hey bro, I am RET. & In the stages of building a SWAT & Personal Defense School. Forsure never leaving this room behind.
Old September 12, 2012, 04:20 PM   #4
g.willikers

A room that secure could also do duty as a safe or retreat room.
So how about adding temporary living quarters stuff in case of storms or civil unrest?
Old September 12, 2012, 04:22 PM   #5
TheSILENTtype

that is pretty much what i was thinking! i guess i shouldve specified i am really looking for suggestions on space saving furniture / storage cabinets, gun racks, technology etc. really just open to furnishing ideas
Old September 12, 2012, 04:51 PM   #6
saltydog452

A stealthy way out?

salty
Old September 12, 2012, 05:02 PM   #7
g.willikers

How about low storage, with cushions on top, that could do triple duty as seats and beds, too?
Old September 12, 2012, 06:23 PM   #8
shuler13

Think RV/sailboat conveniences. Dining benches/table where the table lowers down to the bench to make a platform for a bed with storage under benches. You could even pad the under side of the table top that can be flipped and used as part of the mattress when combined with the benches.
Old September 12, 2012, 07:05 PM   #9
TheSILENTtype

Love the ideas!! I do own a yacht and had considered a similar premis ; multiple usage.

@ salty - there are lots of stealthy things about the room already.. but keeping those offline lol

keep em coming boys!
Old September 12, 2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Ed4032

You need a really big tv. Use it as a computer monitor and surf TFL.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:41 PM   #11
big al hunter

Put web accessible cameras inside and out. Then you can monitor remotely, and see outside while inside or inside while out and about. Not sure what is best or how to, just know it's possible.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:41 PM   #12
TheSILENTtype

Good call on the massive TV, and great call on a wireless Camera System.

I shall obtain both, and attach the camers to my massive TV via bluetooth wireless. Looks like a call to the guys at the Security shop is in order for the AM.

Any suggestions from experience or knowledge wise on a good TV brand, size and style?
Old September 15, 2012, 01:21 PM   #13
armed_librarian

Gun Cages

First off, just wanna say I wish we were friends. Would love to see the end result of something like this.

By the sound of it. Seems like something like this might fit right it. Seems like it might be a nice way to display your firearm collection while sticking to the steel theme that it sounds like you have going.
Old September 15, 2012, 02:05 PM   #14
TheSILENTtype

Hey dude!! Thanks for the opinion, and I promise pics will be up when signifigant progress is made.

I am in the proccess of obtaining a very similar locker,
quite a bit wider, with multiple shelfs, every door with a seperate lock.

I dropped off blueprints about a week ago, and have not received an update yet... what I can say is at 74 bucks and hour..WOW this is getting expensive to be an expensive locker without including the materials.

Open to more input any time, and brand or model advice for the security system.

I will note, I have installed a hidden book case door to the main entry since last updated, in addition to 4,000,000 CW high resolution blue and white strobes. If you open the bookcase, those suckers are going off HUGE.

Goodluck getting out blind.. even without the fact I can operate smoothly in in a HR flash enviroment. the lighting alone will render most untrained people useless.
Old September 15, 2012, 02:06 PM   #15
TheSILENTtype

Sidenote : Can anyone tell what is on that hat? It almost looks like Navy, but I am leaning twords SOM.Mercenaries logo.

Judging by his personal collection here, it's just a hobby hat either way..
Old September 15, 2012, 07:25 PM   #16
dyl

Wow, you have a lot of time and extra money
About that picture, I don't mean to poke fun at it since it was offered with the intent to be helpful - but note the small lock at the top and also that you can see carpet through the bottom. I suspect that locker was more for fun than anything. And unless that is a picture of his young bride in the corner - this man is single.
Old September 15, 2012, 10:32 PM   #17
TheSILENTtype

save the meshing, that is thicker than most safes are today.

I agree with the tiny lock issue, however as far as functionality goes.. well ,for the most part, if someone wants to get into something...eventually they WILL get in.

I would say by his collection, this is either one of many storage solutions, in a very secure location as it, or was bult on a budget.
Old September 15, 2012, 11:11 PM   #18
kaylorinhi

A pellet/glue bullet range with little yards done in chalk... Just the first cool dude thing I could think of!
Old September 17, 2012, 04:20 PM   #19
armed_librarian

The Locker

I hadn't even realized that either the carpet or that tiny padlock. I guess I could have tried to find a different picture. The picture I posted came from google, I remember seeing something similar in a movie (don't remember which) and when reading this thread it came to mind. Obviously (at least I hope) it was meant to show only an idea, not an exact suggestion.
Old September 19, 2012, 02:30 PM   #20
JimDandy

For Space Saving type stuff, look into Nautical Architecture. Those guys have to shoehorn a house and a half into a studio apartment at times.
Old September 21, 2012, 07:36 PM   #21
KingDF

You'd have to check the laws in your state, but I think a tiger or a bear would be pretty cool to put in a man cave. It would shock the crap out of any visitors as well. LOL
Old September 21, 2012, 08:00 PM   #22
Powderman

Whatever your choice, do NOT overlook the three primary REQUIRED items for any Man Cave....

A coffee pot;

A cooking source....

and bacon. Much bacon. LOTS of bacon.

Old September 21, 2012, 08:55 PM   #23
Paul K

Beer. Lots and lots of beer...
Old September 23, 2012, 04:22 PM   #24
customaquatics

i do second the beer idea just remember during the zombie apocolypse its better to get em when drunk!!!!
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:04 PM   #25
tgreening

Two inch THICK steel plating? Around the entire basement including floor and ceiling? Tell me I misunderstood what you wrote.