The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 29, 2011, 09:17 PM   #1
the rifleer

Mini 14/ AR "sport"

So in in a bind. I know the final decision is basically personal preference, but I'm hoping someone can give specific reasons for picking one rifle over the other.The rifles in debate are the Ruger Mini 14 and the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport.

The mini 14 is $699 and the M&P 15 is $669. I know these aren't the best prices, but they aren't bad.

The Sport is cheap because it doesn't have a forward assist or a dust cover. I can live without both of these, I don't plan to abuse this rifle and the purpose of this purchase is to just have a fun gun to shoot.

I would by the M&P 15 without hesitation, but I'm in CA, so it has to have the "bullet button" to release the mag. Im kinda looking for guidance as to which to buy. The mini 14 is great, but an AR would be pretty neat as well.

Thanks a lot.
Old October 29, 2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Crosshair

If you're in CA then get the Mini. The accuracy problems have been largely resolved with the new model and the old models are easily corrected with readily available aftermarket parts. (Barrel struts and reduced gas bushings.) The only way you will notice the extra accuracy is if you do bench shooting with quality ammo. If you're gonna be shooting bulk pack Wolf ammo at the gravel pit you won't be able to tell one from the other.
Old October 29, 2011, 09:24 PM   #3
5.56RifleGuy

Do you have to put any function retarding device on the mini?
Old October 29, 2011, 09:25 PM   #4
the rifleer

No, fortunately the mini is a fully functional mini 14. It just has to have 10 round magazines.
Old October 29, 2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Crazy88Fingers

It seems like the Mini is the winner in California for your purposes.
Old October 29, 2011, 09:59 PM   #6
5.56RifleGuy

The mini sounds like it would be a better deal then
Old October 29, 2011, 10:51 PM   #7
the rifleer

Thats what I'm thinking. Thanks for the input.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:26 AM   #8
chris in va

I happen to like a rifle with a pistol grip, so the Sport would be my choice, despite the 'bullet button'. I have one, great gun...and not 'cheap' by any stretch of the imagination. S&W simply deleted a few nonessential items to lower the price a couple hundred bucks.
Old October 30, 2011, 08:07 PM   #9
stu925

The Mini-14 is a great gun, fun to shoot and plenty accurate for what it is. Factory loads in my rifle average somewhere in the neighborhood of 2" groups off the bench. My handloads average around 1.5" at 100 yds but I'm sure I can bring that down a bit. Only thing I've done to mine is polish the trigger engagement surfaces to give it a nice clean break. So far mine has been absolutely reliable but I still have less than 500 rounds through it. Either rifle would serve you well, and give you years of service but you get the added benefit of no bullet button with the mini (man and I thought NY gun laws were bad). A couple of Mini-14 forums:
http://charlie6.org/c6forum/index.php
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/
Perfect Union is trying to get away from being a Mini-14 forum it seems so Charlie6 might be a better place to get questions answered.

Stu
Old November 1, 2011, 12:51 PM   #10
cmdc

I have both of the rifles you're asking about. They are both great rifles, and I wouldn't give up either of them, but in your situation I'd go with the mini. The Sport has a fixed front sight and I like mounting optics on a flattop AR better. The Sport might be a little more accurate, but as another poster said, the new Minis, which mine is, are very accurate, shooting sub-2" groups all day long, with no shot stringing, which the older models were prone to do. I mounted a Leupold AR 1-4x scope on it.
Old November 1, 2011, 01:49 PM   #11
BeachHead

I think most of us in California are/were in the same situation. I'm leaning toward a Mini myself.

Have you considered Kel Tec's SU-16CA?
Old November 1, 2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The newer Minis are better for groups on paper than the early models. For hunting or for self-defense, it's six of one, half-dozen of the other. Early or late Mini, AR or whatever .223 creates interest.
Old November 1, 2011, 09:09 PM   #13
ipscchef

JMHO

But I agree with what Art and the others have said. I think it is probably a "six of one, half dozen of the other" thing, but my old 183 series Mini is just a great gun and it will always have a place in my arsenel, they are every bit a reliable as the AR platform, and the accuracy issue is non existant as far as I can tell between my old Mini and my AR's at any practible range.

Willy
Old November 1, 2011, 10:54 PM   #14
TriumphGuy

The 580 series is definitely more accurate than the older models if that's a concern to you.

The only downside is that magazines are a little harder to find and you'll have a harder time finding places to hang optics unless you buy some aftermarket parts.

Being that the alternative is poking at your mag release with the tip of a bullet, I'd say the mini is the way to go.