The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2000, 11:04 AM   #1
Hueco

Here's the deal, I just bought a .458 and would like to see what the startup cost for reloading would be. I would reload for accuracy gain, not so much a savings gain. What do I need here? I am not talking just a list of the items...no no, I want your recommendation on exactly what I should get (brand, model, etc.). I'd appreciate it! Thanks!!

Hueco
Old March 29, 2000, 12:24 PM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Since you'll be loading for accuracy vs volume, a single-stage press would probably be best. I have the Lee kit and I love it (Dillon/RCBS guys, don't start with me! ).

Here's what I use for loading big stuff:

Lee O-frame press
RCBS dies (since they have set screws in the lock rings, which the Lee dies don't)
Lee Perfect powder measure
RCBS powder trickler
Lee safety scale
RCBS shell holder
Lee case lube (the stuff in the white tube)
Dial micrometer
Lee Autoprime
Speer and Lee manuals

As for components, I get my best results with the following:

Barnes JHP bullets
Federal brass
Winchester standard large rifle primers
Hodgdon 4895 powder (note: IMR and Hodgdon use similar powder names, and they're NOT interchangable).

HTH.
Old March 29, 2000, 12:30 PM   #3
Ricciardelli

I suggest as a basic set-up the RCBS Rockchucker Master Reloading Kit (around $215 depending on your horse-trading skills), and the RCBS Accessory Kit (another $58 or so). A set of RCBS dies for the .458 will run you another $24, and a neck sizing die will set you back around $20.

For an investment of around $317, plus the cost of components, you will have everything you need to start. Sure you will end up spending more and buying more...but this equipment is all you need for basic reloading.
Old March 29, 2000, 08:10 PM   #4
HankL

HUECO, Congratulations on your purchase! I feel like I went through the process with you after the reading your post as you went through the buying process. I like Coinneach's list, it is very specific but I would like to offer the following to you. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coinneach:
Here's what I use for loading big stuff:

Lee O-frame press
RCBS dies (since they have set screws in the lock rings, which the Lee dies don't)
Lee Perfect powder measure
RCBS powder trickler
Lee safety scale
RCBS shell holder
Lee case lube (the stuff in the white tube)
Dial micrometer
Lee Autoprime
Speer and Lee manuals

[/quote]

1. I use the Rock Chucker. The Lee is fine.
Get either for the best price.
7. Dillon Case Lube. IMHO the best. Less messy.
9. RCBS priming tool. Also IMHO

You will need to keep serious notes on the loads that you develop and you will even end up asking questions on the purchase of your first chronograph!
I would also get:
RCBS Deburring Tool as even new cases will need to have the necks deburred.
Even when neck sizing you will need a case trimmer. For the volume of loading you are talking about a manual RCBS trimmer with the proper pilot and collet will be all you need.
For the sake of accuracy I would also suggest a primer pocket uniformer as well as a flash hole deburring tool which may be purchased through Midway.
HTH