The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 19, 2002, 06:56 PM   #1
Drizzt

Mossberg 500 Redux

I have a Mossberg 500 12-gauge that I was going to be using as my primary hunting shotgun, but recently had a Winchester Ranger 12-gauge passed along to my care. I would like to keep the Winchester in it's current configuration for hunting, and now magically transform the Mossberg into more of a "home defense" shotgun. I'm not necessarily trying to go all 'tactical' with it, but think it could be made into something a lot easier to use. Any suggestions as to what I should change or modify?
"That a free citizen should have to go before a committee, hat in hand, and pray for permission to bear arms - fantastic! Arm your daughter, sir, and pay no attention to petty bureaucrats." Robert Heinlein - Red Planet
Old March 19, 2002, 10:01 PM   #2
Sierra1

Drizzt,
I have had a Mossberg 590, 12 ga shotgun as my home defense weapon of choice. It has nearly 10,000 rounds through it with zero malfunctions. You have a quality piece for defense, that is for sure. IMO there is really only one thing that a long gun like that needs to fulfill the home defense role and that is a light. Unlike the handgun you can not operate a door and a light and have a free hand when using a long gun. Bearing in mind that most shootings occur in low-light to no light situations a light will be your best friend! Make sure you own the night!! Surefire sells replacement forends with lights attached, which are expensive but worth the money. Then you have Brownells which sells light mounts that hold any light which is 1" in diameter, but then you typically don't get the option of a pressure pad on/off switch. You can also attach a mini-mag lite, and while some swear by them I prefer blinding light rather than something used to check pupils on a field sobriety test. Let's face it, if you are going to shoot at night, you had better be 100% certain what your target is, and that is no time for a wimpy light. So go with something around 65 lumens at least. I would say other than that keep all of the side saddle carriers off of it and bandolier slings and don't go with a pistol grip cuz it hurts, and you'll be all right.
Old March 20, 2002, 01:38 AM   #3
swampgator

Barrel length

While the light may be a good idea, the only thing I'd say to start out with would be a shorter barrel. 18-20" for home interiors.
Old March 21, 2002, 04:56 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Keep it simple, DZZzt. A shorter bbl, maybe a light, and lots of ammo.

Extended capacity mags are nice, but any crisis that 4 or 5 rounds of shotgun fodder will not resolve probably will not be resolved by 7 or 8.

A HD shotgun HAS to have....

At least a 2 shot capacity.

A stock that fits the smallest person likely to need it.

Reliability as close to absolute as possible.

A clean trigger less than say, 5 lbs.

An OAL of 40", more or less.

There it is, no bells and whistles, just a basic WIHTF tool....