The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 5, 2001, 07:35 PM   #1
Gary H

Cutting the Stock

George kindly provided me with all the skinny on shotgun fit. Now I'm giving it a try on a second stock. Need to cut the wood stock on an 870 and then shorten the stock bolt. How do you make sure that everything is square when cutting the stock? What is the best saw for the job?

Thanks..
Old August 6, 2001, 07:12 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Gary, take a piece of 2x2 or similar and drive a nail through it. Adjust the point of the nail until it is exactly the height of the amount you wish to cut off. Sit the butt of the stock on a flat surface and scribe a line all the way around with the block and nail. I have a flat piece of plywood with two "wedges" on each side to square the butt to the table surface and a cross piece to hold it in place. I use a table saw with a fine tooth blade to cut stocks here in the shop. Once you use the clamp to get the butt 90 degrees from the table it's pretty easy to use the fence for a straight cut. George
Old August 6, 2001, 09:54 AM   #3
Gary H

Thanks George..

My wife is having a great deal of fun with the Remington 1100 that was previously cut. Thanks Again
Old August 6, 2001, 03:58 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

An old gunsmith's trick is to put tape around the stock close to the cut off line. This helps prevent splintering of the stock.
Old August 6, 2001, 07:54 PM   #5
Gary H

Done... Thanks...