The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 7, 2013, 10:18 PM   #51
1stmar

The griptillian looks good. At reason you went w the tanto instead of the drop point?
Old February 7, 2013, 10:20 PM   #52
armoredman

When I can't carry a gun, I'm at work, so I have pepper spray and handcuffs. I also have backup outside the wire with lots of guns.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:18 AM   #53
egor20

When I go to England to see the in-laws, I always take a Blackthorn Walking Stick and a note from my doctor stating that I have fractured my leg in 3 places (I have BTW). When I get on the plane the stewardess puts it in a closet and then gives it back when we land. Customs just runs it through an X-ray machine and gives it back to me after.

Never had a problem.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 8, 2013, 03:53 AM   #54
stephen426

I went to New York with my wife to visit her friend. The northeast has some pretty drastic laws and most of them don't even permit the carrying of a folding knife, much less a gun (without a permit). Way before tactical lights came out (with their crenulated edges) I carried a 2 AA cell Mini Maglight. No one can really say anything about a flashlight but the back end makes a pretty good kubaton. A bit of nylon cord attached to the end could also make it a swinging weapon.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:25 AM   #55
SC4006

I carry my fists.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old February 9, 2013, 07:08 PM   #56
Brit

[QUOTEThe griptillian looks good. At reason you went w the tanto instead of the drop point? ][/QUOTE]

I have the same unit, the point looks like it would go through a hip bone!

My Surefire has the serated edge, but the light is awsome, put the Surefire in the box, getting on the plane, last Wed; stuck it back in the holster when I went through the metal detector. No muss no fuss.

My City Stick walking cane, put it through the Xray, got it back on the other side, on plane, off plane. No comment. At 77 did not even have to take my shoes off.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:19 AM   #57
idahoJoe

Surprised no one mentioned a Cell Phone.
LOL
Old February 10, 2013, 09:31 AM   #58
seeker_two

I used to have a Samsung Rugby flip-phone that you could beat a BG to death with & still call out for pizza. I miss that phone....hope the Rugby Pro smartphone is as tough....

....otherwise....folding knife, flashlight, keys on a steel carabiner....
Old February 10, 2013, 09:37 AM   #59
OEF-Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoJoe View Post
Surprised no one mentioned a Cell Phone.
LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinpolack View Post
Phone, wallet, keys.
And sometimes chap stick
I agree a cell phone is a good idea and today most folks have one.

A word of caution: Introducing a knife into a fight without the skills to handle it could and probably would get you killed/seriously injured of the bg has any skills.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:39 AM   #60
9mm

Raw meat? I almost broke my toe once, when a frozen peice of raw meat hit my toe, it fell out of freezer.
Old February 10, 2013, 04:07 PM   #61
Edward429451

When you can't carry a gun what do you guys carry ?

Situational awareness.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:40 PM   #62
TenRing

I have found that a vigilant state of mind and psychotic facial expressions tend to keep evil doers at bay. They don't want to deal with anyone who appears more sadistic than themselves.
Old March 1, 2013, 10:39 PM   #63
ClydeFrog

Non lethal weapons, defense devices, cool gadgets...

If a loaded firearm and/or BUG(back up gun) isn't handy or allowed, there are a few gadgets & devices that could be used in a CQB event or critical incident.
Many savvy license holders & armed professionals carry these items with sidearms too, .

OC spray, I have the small Mk III size Sabre Red Crossfire now but I may upgrade to the Mk IV size & buy the Vexor microspin brand from Zarc or Cold Steel's Inferno. Sprays & Mace are not ideal but they can be better than shouting or hand claps.
A tactical white light or flashlight(Fenix, Surefire, 5.11 ATAC, Maglight, etc). The new bright type have strobes(cool way to distract or disorient a attacker) and they can be used to alert security/sworn LE officers in a emergency. New designs are light, compact & long wearing.
A folder knife or small fixed blade. Knives are always handy & can assist you in a critical event(Ka-Bar TDI, Benchmade, CRKT, Blackhawk-MoD, Ernest Emerson, Gerber, William Henry, Cold Steel, Buck, Kase, Stryer, etc). Some like the Spiderco blades, I do not.
Leatherman, Gerber & a few others make Swiss Army type multi-tools. I purchased a Leatherman tool in 1990 & used it often in my armed forces enlistment. New styles are great & have many useful tools.
Finally, I'll add a new tactical item; the defense pen. These run anywhere from $5.00 to $200.00, . There are many pens with cool gadgets & add-ons but Id use the KISS(keep it simple stupid) method. I do like the Uzi pen with the hidden handcuff key, . The best well engineered brands that I could buying include the John Williams model by CRKT or the Tuff Writer Operator sterile version(no logos or marks). The type that break auto glass or can tear-rip the skin(get DNA) have merit. Tuff Writer Operator pens look high-speed, low drag & could be great for outdoor uses(job sites, EP details, special events).
The KAMA pen & the Uzi models are good too. I got a Uzi(sharp crown type, grey) for a good friend who does RE/legal work in New York City. He leaves it on his desk, .

ClydeFrog
www.coldsteelarizona.com www.crkt.com www.qmuniforms.com www.policehq.com www.galls.com www.uscav.com www.surfire.com www.thinkgeek.com www.tuffwriter.com www.bladeHQ.com www.blackhawk.com www.williamhenrystudios.com www.ernestemerson.com
Old March 1, 2013, 10:51 PM   #64
TXGunNut

If at all possible I carry my butt back to my car!
I had to show ID and surrender my wallet and all pocket contents at a courthouse awhile back. Rentacop looked at my CHL and made a disparaging remark, something about not being armed. I told him if I needed a gun I'd come back and get his. I knew the sheriff's deputy standing behind him, he almost hurt himself trying not to laugh. Poor young feller didn't like my tone but was smart enough to drop the subject.
So yes, situational awareness. Improvised weapons and a willingness to do what it takes to neutralize a threat. Seems there are always guns in gun-free zones, even if i can't carry one.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old March 1, 2013, 10:55 PM   #65
LockedBreech

What do you carry when you can't carry a gun?

iPhone and Benchmade 154CM Mini-Griptillian, but I have those even when I do have a gun.

And alertness.
Old March 1, 2013, 10:58 PM   #66
ClydeFrog

Correction...

William Henry Knives are here; www.williamhenrystudio.com .

Also, ASP now markets smaller, personal size impact weapons(batons) but Id advise against them for general carry. A impact weapon could be useful to a sworn LE officer or licensed security officer but it may be illegal in some areas for the general public. The same goes with EDWs/Tasers, www.taser.com . The C2 Taser may be worth it but check all local-state laws or ordinances.

ClydeFrog
Old March 1, 2013, 11:10 PM   #67
ripnbst

A Kershaw knife utilizing their speed safe opening system. I carry the plain edged Kershaw Clash. This could be easily carried in a suit pocket. I love this knife.
Old March 1, 2013, 11:25 PM   #68
Gaerek

Haven't read everything, but thought I'd add what I usually have with me, whether I'm carrying or not.

Tactical Flashlight - Bright white light and can be used as a striking weapon
Folding Knife - Benchmade Griptillian, to be exact
Tactical pen - Cool looking pen, and striking weapon

If I'm flying...all I usually have is the light as the other objects are prohibited. However, as soon as I land, I get everything I can legally have out of my checked luggage and put it on.
Old March 2, 2013, 01:01 AM   #69
biohazurd

I have problems with spending large amounts of money on knives and melee weapons. I prefer to pay 100 or less for them in any case.

But my edc knife is a 25 dollar buck medium bantam folder. Its light, sharp and easily deployable.I have owned 5 of them in different finishes and they have never failed. I only need to get a new one if i misplace one of my others.

I also carry some older winchester folders as back ups. This is while carrying a gun (99% of the time)as well as the incredibly rare times that i do not carry a concealled handgun.

A tactical flashlight is also on my person 24/7 365.
Old March 2, 2013, 01:59 AM   #70
R1145

Judo...CHOP, Baby!!
Old March 2, 2013, 04:38 AM   #71
ClydeFrog

CUMA RAM...

The Cuma Ram defense pen was the pen I was going to add.
Old March 2, 2013, 01:18 PM   #72
sfmedic

I shall use the harshest words possible and rebuke them loudly until they give up the attack on my person. Once that is done I will convince them to accompany me to the nearest police station to make restitution for their evil deeds.
Old March 2, 2013, 03:12 PM   #73
ClydeFrog

Cell-phone; Yellowjacket case(EDW)...

I saw a media item about this new product; www.Yellowjacketcase.com .

You can add a stun gun to your smartphone case(iPhone/Galaxy).
It's a reported 650,000 volts .

CF
Old March 3, 2013, 03:16 PM   #74
bikerbill

I've carried a pocket knife daily since I was in college and my dad gave me a small folder. As SD knives have improved, so has the knife I carry ... my favorite is the Spyderco Native, but I have serveral assisted openers in the 3-inch range which share time with that knife ...
Old March 3, 2013, 03:25 PM   #75
sunaj

These days its all about concealment as our right to carry is being squashed by tyrants,
I think the best made and affordable blades are the Cold Steel Espada series, in various lengths
sunaj