The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2012, 03:50 AM   #1
Leeroy Jenkins

Mislabeled Bullet Package at Cabela's

A few days ago, I purchased some bullets from Cabela's for reloading. I'm new to the reloading game, so I am still trying to learn where I can get bullets for the best prices whilst meeting my own shooting needs.

Anyway, I purchased some Rainier Ballistics package of .45 ACP bullets. There was a poorly placed sticker that must have been done through shipping or something, so I did not even notice that they were hollow points. I'll take the blame on that one, though. However, the box clearly says "1000 PK". I figured this meant that there are a thousand bullets in the box. I've never distrusted a box label such as that, so I didn't even give it a second thought. Meaning, I didn't even bother doing the math to see if that would, in fact, come out to 1000 bullets at 230 grains apiece. I loaded 300 bullets tonight, and I discovered that the box has only 500 bullets.

I really feel more silly than anything. I'm wondering if I'm just looking at something wrong. In any case, the 1000 bullets were about 80 dollars, which seemed like a great price (perhaps too good to be true?). Even for 500 bullets, I guess 80 dollars isn't that bad, but I won't make the mistake again.

Do y'all have any thoughts on this? Could this have been a mistake on the part of the manufacturer or retailer? Or am I just missing something? Maybe even where can I find cheap bullets nowadays?
Old February 10, 2012, 04:31 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Watch those Whelps, Leeroy.

It sounds like the package was just mis-marked, altogether. The 'standard' packaging is a 500-piece lot. (Around here, anyway.)

For $80, though, it wouldn't have been a 1000 bullet package. Rainier bullets just aren't that cheap.

My favorite source of affordable (low cost, high quality) cast bullets:
http://www.bulletsdirect.com/

...Back to the Rookery for me.
Old February 10, 2012, 04:46 AM   #3
Leeroy Jenkins

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the link for bullets. Eventually I suppose I'll find a go-to place for supplies, but since I'm new I'm still exploring.
Old February 10, 2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Shootest

For FMJ, JHP, and pulled bullets check these guys out.
http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullet...llets.html?p=2
Old February 10, 2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Qtiphky

Midway

I have used Midway in the past for Rainier bullets and I really like them. I just ordered 500 of the same bullet you picked up. I think they were $50 something for 500. I also got 9mm, 40, 38 and 357's and with a coupon got the shipping paid for. Rainier bullets are good and are usually near the cheapest. I will typically check three different online sources at the same time and then decide who has the cheapest overall order, not necessarily the cheapest prices. The shipping is what can bite you, but once you order from Midway, you almost always have some sort of coupon in your email box.
Old February 10, 2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Kap

Cabelas on line catalogue only shows that box of bullets in the 500 pack for 80.00
Old February 10, 2012, 12:49 PM   #7
serf 'rett

Well, I don't think anyone makes "cheap" bullets any more (unless you're a lead head casting them yer self).

May want to check the bullet prices at Powder Valley.
Old February 10, 2012, 12:52 PM   #8
overkill0084

Rainier doesn't use a whole bunch of different boxes. That box would have likely been a 1000 size package for 9 mm or .357 bullets. The packing guy might have just grabbed whatever was close, without seeing the label. I wouldn't let it bother me too much.
IMHO, $80 for 500 bullets isn't especially spectacular (not horrible though.)
Berry's will save you a few bucks, if you order 1000 count boxes. They come w/ free shipping once you spend more than $50.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14..._230gr_RN.aspx

I have ordered Rainier from Midway in the past, though I will typically wait for a sale or some sort of discounting. Shipping @ Midway is getting pricey of late, though.
JMHO, but .45 acp screams out for cast bullets. But that's another thread.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old February 10, 2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Tex S

Don't worry... Once you get the hang of the reloading game you will be able to tell a 500 pack from a 1000.

Just remember, the 1000 packs will be twice as heavy.