The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 18, 2000, 02:47 PM   #1
JonathanT

I need to buy a good range bag, something to carry pistol, mags, ammo, accesories, etc... Thinking of a Dillon Precision bag. Any comments? thanks
Old January 18, 2000, 06:41 PM   #2
Gino

My only advice is to get one smaller than you think you need. All that stuff gets awful heavy!
Old January 18, 2000, 08:20 PM   #3
2shots

A shooter on another forum was very pleased with a plastic tool box he purchased at Home Depot. Seems it has enough room to carry accesories as well as several spotting scopes and a tripod and--comes with retractible wheels. Sure beats lugging several bags. Said he paid $40 for it.

[This message has been edited by 2shots (edited January 18, 2000).]
Old January 19, 2000, 11:35 AM   #4
JoeHatley

I've used a mini-range bag from www.bagmaster.com for years. It's held up well and holds 2 pistols and over 200 rounds of ammo. Just right for an hour at the range.

I recieved an MRI Outdoors range bag for X-mas. I think it came from www.midwayusa.com It's just a little larger than the Bag Master. It also holds two pistols, and the center section holds more ammo than I can lift.

Good Luck..

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old January 19, 2000, 12:18 PM   #5
DMSC

I use a military style tool bag. They come in two sizes, I use the smaller one. $12.00 at the loacal Army/Navy store.
Old January 19, 2000, 12:22 PM   #6
Rosco P. Coltrain

Ask the grocery store to give you paper instead of plastic next time.
Old January 19, 2000, 02:46 PM   #7
JonathanT

thanks for the info
Old January 19, 2000, 07:09 PM   #8
kv4v

I have used the Dillon Range bag for the last two years and have no problem carrying two pistols and all the ammo etc....... Doc

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West
Old January 19, 2000, 09:02 PM   #9
capbuster

you shooters are going to call the old capbuster, "el cheapo". i really wanted the big bagmaster and then the dillon when the colors got right. i ended up with a surplus english carry all bag which has a hard bottom and inside i placed a mechanics bag to hold ammo.i got about $25.00 tied up in it.yeh,i know."el cheapo".you all take care.

------------------

cliff
Old January 19, 2000, 10:45 PM   #10
danm

A while back I picked up a GateMouth by
BucketBoss. There were two sizes, and I
got the larger, for $18 IIRC. It is meant
as a craftsman's toolbag. It has a wide
opening top, pockets inside and outside,
and a hard bottom. I am quite happy using
it as a range bag.

Enjoy, Danm.
Old January 21, 2000, 02:34 AM   #11
blades67

I have been using a 20$ Jan Sport back pack as a range bag for the last year. I can carry more ammo in it (without pullin' somethin' outta place ) than a standard range bag and it frees my hands to carry my rifle case and press flesh at the range. I will either use the case the pistol has come in or, if I plan on shooting more than a couple hundred rounds, I'll put the pistols in gun rugs to save space and stack a few more boxes of ammo under them.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!
Old January 21, 2000, 03:15 PM   #12
jeffelkins

2nd vote on the toolbox option. I use a rubbermaid toolbox large enough to hold two pistols, two sets of earmuffs, plenty of boxed ammo, 10 loaded mags for a Glock 23 and all my cleaning supplies. $15

Jeff
Old January 21, 2000, 05:17 PM   #13
Trigger Jerk

Not one of those previous ideas is a bad one. I guess the point is that I think it's hard to pick out a range bag for someone else. But just to get in on the conversation, I'll tell you what I use, and have used. I have used a free 5 gallon bucket with a tool liner (about $12. I then made a padded seat for it and I have a place to sit as well as keeping all my crap in one place. this was my favorite setup for IPSC. I also have two sizes of plastic tool boxes that I find great for supplies like staple guns pasters, etc, but I don't like them for ammo and guns. Then I have a small travel bag (about the same size as the canvas military tool bag) that works great for taking one pistol to the range for a little practice or load testing. I have one that is a little larger that works great for taking two to three pistols for the same purpose. For more than 2 or 3 pistols, I load up the aluminum hard case (s) and plastic tool box for it's junk and usually 50 cal ammo cans for ammo. I also have a Dillon range bag and think it's great, but it seldom leaves the tailgate. It will keep a lot of stuff together. It has lots of pockets and compartments which is the kind of thing I think is cool.

If you are ready to spend bucks on a real life range bag, great, then do it...but if you are not quite sure what will fit your needs, maybe you should go el cheapo for a while and figure out what works for YOU.
Old January 22, 2000, 02:14 AM   #14
Bombshell

I saw a two-wheeled utility/tool cart at Costco for use as a rangebag (rangecart?) today. (The area I shoot at is about a quarter mile from road shoulder parking area and only accessible by footpath.) The cart has several drawers, felt fairly sturdy and looked big enough to hold everything but a rifle. I'm going to buy one tomorrow and give it a workout. If it works out well for me, I'll post back here with my results in a few days.

------------------
When you're walkin' on eggshells, don't hop!