The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 28, 2013, 11:05 PM   #1
Agent_Smith

Switching sights

I've been shooting a Glock 34 with a Dawson fiber-optic front sight and a Heinie slant pro (all-black) rear sight for a couple of years. Seemed to shoot IDPA okay with it but didn't have any point of reference.

Recently, I started shooting static and knock-down steel with the same gun and had a hard time hitting the plates. I seemed to always shoot consistently too high or too low. I just couldn't dial in the elevation. I would swear I was spot on, but it would miss until I figured out where the bullets were going and fudged my sight picture.

Tonight, I switched up and shot my Beretta 92fs with a standard 3-dot sight configuration at a knock-down match and suddenly I'm hitting the plates on every shot. It was ridiculous. I felt like I had put on a new pair of glasses. The bullets went exactly where I expected them to go.

This is making me question the sight configuration on my Glock. Should I switch to a 3-dot?

Or is it that some sight configurations are better suited for one type of match than another? Is the Heinie Dawson (fiber front, black rear) configuration good for fast acquisition and big targets (IDPA) but not great for nailing small targets (steel)?

I've also got a 9mm 1911 coming in soon that has all black target sights (adjustable rear.) I'm wondering how that's going to work for me or whether I will have to swap those out.

Does anyone here use different sights for different types of speed shooting?

Thanks

-AS
Old April 28, 2013, 11:23 PM   #2
breakingcontact

Re: Switching sights

I think you've got it. The setup you have on the Glock puts you on the target fast. That's its job. Its not for precision.
Old April 29, 2013, 07:32 AM   #3
LSnSC

Change out the FO front with a black blade and see how that works. I had a similar issue with my XD 5.25, I was fast with the FO front but lacked precision. I ordered a plain black front from Dawson and can still shoot reasonably fast but can be more precise when necessary.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Agent_Smith

Thanks. I have an all black setup on a gun that i'll be picking up soon. I'll see how that works.

What do you think about the three-dot setup? Is that slower than the fiber front black rear blade?

How does three dots compare with all black blades for speed and accuracy.

-AS
Old April 29, 2013, 09:25 AM   #5
g.willikers

For me, the best sight arrangement is all black, with the front sight narrow enough to see plenty of light around it.
Old April 29, 2013, 11:13 AM   #6
RickB

You gotta use what works. I find three-dot sights to be the worst of all worlds, but they are extremely popular with manufacturers if not shooters, so they must be working for someone.
Old May 1, 2013, 05:40 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

aye eye

How we see our sights is utterly personal (I say this after testing eight sights sets on a now long-gone G20).

I found what works for by testing. (FWIW, I continue testing to keep up with my ever-diminishing eyesight).
Yes it can be expensive.
No there's no real easy way.

Perhaps your shooting community can offer you an opportunity to try other folk's guns, asnd see if any sight combinations on those help you learn what works for you.

I always suggest something readily visible out front, with an unconventionally wide rear notch.
'Course, I'm old, and been wearing specs for over 50 years.....
Old May 1, 2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Viper225

I am no fan of 3 dot sights either.

My preference is a GREEN Fiber Optic front sight with a Black rear sight.

Sounds to me like you are not getting a consistent sight picture with your Glock. You might try a different rear sight first.

Bob

Tags
idpa , sights , steel