The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 14, 2009, 04:15 PM   #1
shokkazulu

Waterfowl Choke tube

My buddy just got me into duck hunting, so I went out and bought a mossberg 835. I was wondering if any one could point me in the direction of a good choke tube. I'll probaly need two for close and far shooting from what I have read. I as you can see I know nothing about shotguns. Would like to keep the price around 60$ or so per choke tube. Thanks for any help and sorry for the errors, hard to post using an iPhone.

Thanks
Old November 14, 2009, 04:58 PM   #2
TJH3781

I have hunted Ducks & Geese for 40+ years, so some the real serious hunters may think I am a heretic, but I would recommend a Poly Choke II for your 835. It should be less expensive than two (2) tubes, if your weapon is threaded for tubes.

I use one on an 1100 & find it ideal. Mostly we shoot decoying birds so it is set to IC, but often there are passing shots when you think they will decoy & they do not & changing tubes is not an option. I can twist the Poly Choke a lot faster than I can change tubes.

We hunt from a pit & the goal is to spend more time getting there than to limit out for three (3) hunters. Our best for six (6) Canada's was 14 minutes in the pit. Ducks are a longer time. We could do Woodies real fast, but it is too dark at shooting time where I hunt to get on them.

Last edited by TJH3781; November 14, 2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old November 14, 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
reloader28

Contrary to what some people might say, dont use a full choke with steel unless it says STEEL. I test that out last year and with 1 shot destroyed my full choke from a Rem 870. Bulged it out so bad I couldnt hardly get it out of the gun. Almost had to buy a barrel. Not only that but the pattern got worse than it did with a Mod choke. Steel tends to get more "bounce" when constricted whereas lead will "compact" a little. You can actually get worse patterns with tighter chokes than Mod. This might not be the case with all shotguns but it was with mine. Be sure to pattern youre gun at the ranges you will be using. Lots of guys dont and it can really help.
Old November 14, 2009, 08:33 PM   #4
shokkazulu

From what I have been seeing I think I'm going to go with an improved cylinder. That's what most places have been saying or is there a better option out there?
Old November 14, 2009, 09:05 PM   #5
reloader28

Personally I would get a modified and an improved cylinder. I rarely use anything but mod, but you may have different ranges than me. Most guys here use mod. Ask what youre buddy uses. I'm not sure but I think Mossberg chokes are only around $25.
Old November 14, 2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Doyle

You need to know the range at which you'll be shooting. For example, if you are sitting in an Arkansaw oak swamp decoying mallards, the ranges will be very short. An improved cylinder will be best in that case. However,if you are sitting in a boat in the middle of the lake then the distances will be greater and you'll need a modified or even an improved modified. Match your choke to meet the conditions in which you are hunting.
Old November 14, 2009, 10:08 PM   #7
Fat White Boy

I shoot a Remington 1100 in 12 gauge. I put an Improved Cylinder choke in it in 1988. I have only taken it out for cleaning. I have shot quail, chukar, dove , pheasant and ducks and geese with the Improved Cylinder.

Last edited by Fat White Boy; November 14, 2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old November 14, 2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Swampghost

Still getting by with my old Stevens SBS, full & mod. 40+ yrs. without a hitch. I own a few others but meat on the table = Stevens.
Old November 15, 2009, 01:03 AM   #9
shokkazulu

I'm in southern indiana chest deep in the water. I would guess the range would be less than 40 yards.
Old November 20, 2009, 08:44 PM   #10
timberjet

Why don't you just get mossberg chokes in IC, IM, M, F and pattern test your gun with the ammo you are going to use. I shoot modified or improved modified here in idaho but if you are decoying birds up close improved cylinder would be the ticket. Shotgun shell loads vary greatly in pattern characteristics so one load might work well with one choke and another etc... You can probably get all those chokes for 100 bucks or less. The only reason I suggest A full choke is if you decide to shoot turkey with your duck gun otherwise forget it. We tend to have to shoot long range passing shots where I live most of the time. If I got the opportunity for good decoy hunting here in idaho I would probably use IC or M most of the time. I shoot 3.5 inchers though. I used to reload but it is dang near impossible to get powder and primers around here anymore with the wars and people hoarding in fear of obama. I forgot to mention how to pattern test your gun. Real simple. Take A piece of cardboard out and place it at 30 yards or so. Or whatever your usual range is. Then draw an eighteen inch circle with A sharpee. Shoot. Then count how many you got inside the circle and how many hit outside the circle. Get A percentage from these figures. Also look to see if there are any holes in the pattern. If the pattern is nicely uniform and most of the pellets hit in or almost in the circle your golden. If your pattern is too large go with A more constrictive choke. Or opposite if the pattern is too tight. Happy hunting and keep the questions flowing. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Last edited by timberjet; November 20, 2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old November 20, 2009, 09:04 PM   #11
timberjet

Another thing I would suggest is to get A call and either practice online with the many recources you can google up or buy A dvd or cd training program. Your calling and dog are way way more important than your choke. The closer they get the better.