The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2012, 01:30 PM   #1
rebs

flat base or boat tail in 55 gr bullets

In 55 grain bullets do you guys find better accuracy with the flat base like the Dogtown bullets or a boat tail bullet ?
I have had great results with the Hornady 55 gr fmjbt and was wondering about the flat base bullets .
Old May 25, 2012, 02:20 PM   #2
4runnerman

60 gn V-Max for me. I thought i read some place that under 300 yards a boat tail really does not make a difference. It's after 300 yards that it comes into play
Old May 25, 2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Jimro

At short ranges flat base is usually more accurate. You won't find a benchrester using boat tail bullets until you get beyond 300 meters.

Jimro
Old May 25, 2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. Bryan Litz points out that making a perfectly symmetrical flat base is a lot easier than making a perfectly symmetrical boattail. Also, a boattail of the same weight will usually have a shorter bearing surface, which is more prone to bullet tilt in the bore. Also, the boattail takes longer to clear the muzzle, offering it more opportunity to be made to yaw by muzzle blast. The blast tends to deflect perpendicularly off a square base, where the angular blast along moves partially over the sides of the bullet which can introduce still more yaw when the normal coning motion that eventually corrects the bullet from being coaxial with the bore over to the yaw of repose begins. This is what the rebated boattail in the Lapua Scenar D46 design is supposed to prevent.

The advantage of a boattail is it reduces drag up to about 15%. That typically becomes a significant improvement only at longer ranges.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 25, 2012, 07:51 PM   #5
rebs

Thank you for the replies. What bullet do you guys recommend in a flat base 55 grain weight ?

Is anyone using the dog town bullets from Midway USA ?
Old May 25, 2012, 09:15 PM   #6
old roper

Rebs, I shoot FB bullets in all my 22 cal varmint rifles including my 22BR.

I just had a 222mag build and I'm shooting the Dogtown 55gr bullet in that rifle also in a 222AI and I've been shooting some of Midsouth bullets http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...from-midsouth/.
NRA Life Member
Old May 25, 2012, 09:32 PM   #7
DeadCenter

I use the 55gr Dogtowns and have not found anything as accurate at 100-200 yards in my .223. The 53gr V-Max are close and I'm sure will will do better down field. I believe at 300 yards with the same muzzle velocity the 55gr dogtowns will have around 500 ft/pds of energy and the 53gr v-max are around 700 if I remember right.
Old May 26, 2012, 06:47 AM   #8
rebs

thanks for the replies, I am going to give the dog towns a try and also the midsouth bullets. That sure is a good price from Midsouth