The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 1, 2000, 06:11 PM   #1
drothen

I have my grandfather's model 94 in 32WinSp. I have been using it recently, so it stimulated my curiosity as to its age. The barrel has been replaced by an uncle sometime in the pre-1960 past, so I think the value is low. However the serial number is 195,xxx, so the rest of the gun must be quite old. Is there a serial number list somewhere that will pin down the date of manufacture?

It also has a folding rear peep sight mounted on the stock, behind the hammer. Was this a factory option? It makes for very fast and accurate sighting.
Old December 1, 2000, 11:51 PM   #2
Steven Mace

Drothen, your Winchester Model 1894 was made in 1900 based on the serial number you've provided. The most common version of the Model 1894 was the Standard Sporting Rifle. This had a 26" barrel(round, octagon, or half-octagon) with a 2/3, 1/2 or full length magazine, blued finish and a plain straight or pistol grip walnut stock & forearm. I do believe a peep sight was offered as a factory option. To give you and idea of value at 90% it could be worth about $1,125, about $925 at 80% and about $850 at 70%. Premiums would be added for a takedown version or a deluxe model. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old December 3, 2000, 07:24 PM   #3
drothen

Thanks, Steve.

I really enjoy shooting that rifle. If it was 90% I would have to put it away. However the value to me is sentimental, so I really appreciate the info.