The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 19, 2009, 03:46 PM   #1
R.Childs

MOLLE or ALICE?

Looking to buy a pack to stock with essentials for whatever.......

For you who have used both, which do you prefer and why? My choice will be influenced by your experiences.
Old January 19, 2009, 05:45 PM   #2
scottycoyote

i like molle, its been the standard for so long why use outdated alice.
Old January 19, 2009, 10:04 PM   #3
mskdgunman

Personal preference but there are so many more options (mag and utility pouches) available in the Molle platform that it would be easier to configure what you want. There are some decent Alice pouches around (and they're usually cheaper) which can be adapted to work with a Molle system so look around and pick what you think will work best for what you need. I have a mix of both on a couple of my set ups but it's mostly Molle.
Old January 19, 2009, 10:26 PM   #4
jckeffer

I've humped them both and quite frankly I prefer some of the commercial pack systems. You can get better value, a much wider and more varied selection of features, and a lighter pack depending on your needs by just shopping around. The Alice is simple out of date and the Molle is overkill unless you intend subject it to the type of use the Marines do (and Army I suppose ). I considered the Molle when my kids started to go backpacking but, like I said, found better packs commercially.
Old January 23, 2009, 10:29 PM   #5
diablo508

go with MOLLE...been humping a pack for over 15 years now and Molle is the way to go....more versital and hell it looks much better and if your looking for pack recommendations let me know what your reqirements are
Old January 24, 2009, 02:57 PM   #6
scottycoyote

u didnt ask for recommendations but i consider myself somewhat of a gear fiend, especially when it comes to packs. My favorite molle pack is some of the ones in the camelbak series......i picked up a supernice digital camo motherlode molle pack off ebay for like $25 and its probably my favorite all around hiking/gear hauling pack. They also make bigger ones like the bfm and talon that are very cool, i think alot of service guys use them overseas. I like maxpedition's stuff too but its way pricey by comparison and they seem to be of roughly equal quality to me.