The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 4, 2000, 07:54 PM   #1
BuckWheat

I've been reading a couple of different discussions about barrel break-in and cleaning. Several references talk about "wrap around" jags or "Parker Hale" jags. Apparently, this allows you to scrub back and fourth. The brass jags I've seen only allow you to push the patch through once. What the heck is this "wrap around" jag and how could it benefit me? Thanks.
Old March 4, 2000, 11:35 PM   #2
Unkel Gilbey

Most Jag's that folks here in the states first encounter are the type that you see in your basic "Outers" cleaning kit. Plastic, sharp pointy tit on the end and the 'barrel' of the jag is almost bore size. Your place the patch (hopefully the correct size) on the muzzle of the weapon and jam the sucker through. And it would clean the be'jeezus out of the bore - if the patch was sized correctly!

The jag that you are refering to is used in just about the manner that you mentioned. The regular sized patch is wrapped around the jag so that the edge of the material is inline with (parallel to?) the center line of the bore. This type of jag is size sensitive too, but it does a better job of cleaning as it fits the bore better, and it brings more patch surface into contact with the bore - more uniformly too.

I first saw one of these Jag's used with my friends Walther Air rifle. It came with the cleaning kit that arrived with the rifle. Works like a charm, and I recommend getting them for your rifle if you can find them. I thing I got mine from Natchez Shooters supply, and Brownell's should have them too.

Good Luck, Unkel Gilbey
Old March 5, 2000, 07:54 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

About the only time I want my jag to drag a patch back and forth is when I'm using a muzzle loader. Otherwise, on any modern firearm, I want the patch to fall off once I push the jag past the muzzle. Dragging a patch back and forth is not a recommended cleaning technique for precision weapons.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt
Old March 5, 2000, 09:36 PM   #4
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Like Gary said,even using a Parker Hale style jag,you want to remove the patch after it clears barrel,not drag the dirty patch back through.

Bill
Old March 5, 2000, 11:22 PM   #5
Mouse Gun

On Parker/Dewey jags, I wrap the patch point first, this helps feeding it into the guide, prevents bunching up at the throat and also fits tighter. As another stated, patch size definatly matters with wrap jags to get proper fit. The bullet jags work well for general cleaning IMHO, I like the wrap jags for general cleaning and are a necessity when using JB compound and other paste type cleaners.

Mouse Gun