The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 26, 2012, 11:45 PM   #1
Chris9472

Hello All, I'm new to the forum.

I did not see anywhere specific to post a proper introduction so I'll start here:

My name is Chris, and I don't have much experience with guns. I shot some rifles and a few shotguns when I was younger, but that's about it. In the mid to late 90's, my first and only handgun purchase was a Colt Detective Special, turned out to be one of the last models produced. After having it for several months, I got nervous and foolishly sold it without ever firing it. I was young then, I am different now.

After realizing just how bad things are getting out there (or may become), I recently bought a Ruger LCR .38spl+p revolver. I've put about 150 rounds through it so far and am still struggling to be a better shot but I'm not giving up. I also had an LCP for awhile but found it difficult to use and didn't feet confident about it, so I sold it and have saved the money to put towards another snubbie or a shotgun. I think I want to stick with revolvers for now as far as CCW goes.

I hope to be able to learn much here as this seems to be a more serious firearms forum.
Old November 26, 2012, 11:50 PM   #2
flycaster

Welcome, Chris. You'll feel at home pretty quickly here. Lots of good folks.

Chuck
Old November 27, 2012, 12:16 AM   #3
jimbob86

You:
Quote:
My name is Chris,
All: "Hi, Chris!"

Quote:
In the mid to late 90's, my first and only handgun purchase was a Colt Detective Special, turned out to be one of the last models produced. After having it for several months, I got nervous and foolishly sold it without ever firing it.
I am sorry for your loss. ()

Quote:
this seems to be a more serious firearms forum.
Seriously though, welcome to the forum! I am eager to share my opinions, and they are worth every penny you paid for them!

My first: Things are less than Rosy out there, and having a gun that you are proficient with is a Good Thing.

2nd Opinion; Save your brass. .38 Special is ridiculously expensive as factory ammo, and ridiculously easy to reload.

If you have any questions on reloading, I am more than happy to tell you what I know .....
Old November 27, 2012, 12:17 AM   #4
ZEBRARANGER

Hello and welcome. You chose a nice revolver with the Ruger LCR.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:28 AM   #5
Chris9472

Quote:
2nd Opinion; Save your brass. .38 Special is ridiculously expensive as factory ammo, and ridiculously easy to reload.

If you have any questions on reloading, I am more than happy to tell you what I know .....
Thanks Jimbob86, but I need to get the fundamentals down before I get into any of that.

Plus, I live in an upper duplex, and I don't really have a work area to do that kind of stuff.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:36 AM   #6
vostracker

welcome

Welcome Chris. This is a good group of people here!!!
Old November 27, 2012, 12:46 AM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
Thanks Jimbob86, but I need to get the fundamentals down before I get into any of that.

Plus, I live in an upper duplex, and I don't really have a work area to do that kind of stuff.
As I posted earlier today, a Lee hand press, Auto Prime priming tool and Carbide Pistol die set will set you back less than 100 bucks, fit in a shoe box, and save you 50% on your ammo.

It's NOT rocket science. I know a rocket scientist (Lockheed Martin)..... I can't hack the Math. This is more like a recipe. Simple steps with simple tools. Do this.... Then this..... Ensure this.....

This is the Information Age. If a pimply faced YouTuber can show the world how to build an AR15 from scratch, then metallic cartridge reloading should be a cinch! There's people that know more about it than I do on this forum, but I will certainly tell you what I know..... when I started out trying to get into handloading, local handloaders were ..... less than helpful, shall we say.... I vowed never to be "THAT guy". If there is anything I can help you with, let me know.
Old November 27, 2012, 01:03 AM   #8
Chris9472

Quote:
As I posted earlier today, a Lee hand press, Auto Prime priming tool and Carbide Pistol die set will set you back less than 100 bucks, fit in a shoe box, and save you 50% on your ammo.

It's NOT rocket science. I know a rocket scientist (Lockheed Martin)..... I can't hack the Math. This is more like a recipe. Simple steps with simple tools. Do this.... Then this..... Ensure this.....

This is the Information Age. If a pimply faced YouTuber can show the world how to build an AR15 from scratch, then metallic cartridge reloading should be a cinch! There's people that know more about it than I do on this forum, but I will certainly tell you what I know..... when I started out trying to get into handloading, local handloaders were ..... less than helpful, shall we say.... I vowed never to be "THAT guy". If there is anything I can help you with, let me know.
OK, I will. I'd sure like to save some money on ammo. I really need the practice.

Do you have links for that equipment? Can I do it at a my dining room table?
Old November 27, 2012, 01:42 AM   #9
jimbob86

Hand Press-
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665...ock-hand-press

Hand priming tool-
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/413...d-priming-tool

Lee Carbide .38 special 3 die set-
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/418...ial-357-magnum

Lee Breech lock bushing (not needed if you can find an original style hand press)-
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/971...s-package-of-2

Buy plated bullets (fine for .38 special target loads) in lots of 1000+, primers by the 1000, and powder by the pound= cheap shooting.

My brother went the hand press route for the first year he had his Ruger sR9c.... loaded and shot several thousand rounds..... like this: Go to range on Saturday, shoot 200 rounds, pick up 250 empty 9mm cases. Sunday, while watching the Rockies/Broncos/Avs, he'd deprime, size and bell his cases on his coffee table. Monday night, watching monday night football, or the Outdoor Channel, he'd use a dipper and get help from his 12 y.o. daughter (in exchange for her getting to go to the range and shooting some of the ammo) to charge the 200-250 cases with Unique, and seat and crimp the bullets.... later in the week, usually on a lunch hour, he'd hit Bass Pro or one of the LGS's and replenish his supplies as needed ..... kept everything in two shoe boxes under his couch, Tools in one, components in the other.

He did not save any money, though: He put the money he would have spent on WWB at WallyWorld into more components .... and he bought two rifles .... and dies for both .... and spent 200 bucks on materials/equipment for a reloading bench I built him in his basement (When Armageddon happens, and all of the Denver Metro area is laid waste, the only two things standing will be the Rocky Mountains and that bench!) .... so no, he did not save any money..... but he is a hell of a shot, as is my neice, both with pistol and rifle.... no, he did not save any money..... it is a sickness, and he has it..... yess, he does.....
Old November 27, 2012, 01:44 AM   #10
Chris9472

Quote:
He did not save any money, though: He put the money he would have spent on WWB at WallyWorld into more components .... and he bought two rifles .... and dies for both .... and spent 200 bucks on materials/equipment for a reloading bench I built him in his basement (When Armageddon happens, and all of the Denver Metro area is laid waste, the only two things standing will be the Rocky Mountains and that bench!) .... so no, he did not save any money..... but he is a hell of a shot, as is my neice, both with pistol and rifle.... no, he did not save any money..... it is a sickness, and he has it..... yess, he does.....
I think I'm gonna like you jimbob86!
Old November 27, 2012, 01:51 AM   #11
jimbob86

That'd be a new one- most folks think I'm an opinionated curmudgeon .....
Old November 27, 2012, 07:08 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

The introductions thread is in the General Discussion forum.

I, too, got rid of a Detective Special, which I now regret. Mine was a 1960s model with the factory hammer shroud.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 27, 2012, 07:18 AM   #13
youngunz4life

welcome. you seem to have a good taste in firearms.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:51 PM   #14
Obambulate

The man has shot 3 boxes of .38 Specials and you want him to start reloading? I would say the best move would be to purchase a LCR-22 and get plenty of cheap practice that will transfer over to his centerfire LCR. The LCR-22 is also a nice plinker and a reasonably nasty defender in itself.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:55 PM   #15
Chris9472

Quote:
The man has shot 3 boxes of .38 Specials and you want him to start reloading? I would say the best move would be to purchase a LCR-22 and get plenty of cheap practice that will transfer over to his centerfire LCR. The LCR-22 is also a nice plinker and a reasonably nasty defender in itself.
Excellent advice... thank you. Although I have shot some long guns in my time, but not much.

I planned on getting a LCR-22 or some other .22 revolver just for those purposes.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:04 PM   #16
Straightshooter629

Welcome from THE Buckeye State!....
Old December 2, 2012, 07:52 AM   #17
Genepix

Welcome Chris- You are surrounded by a lot of knowledge here, for sure. Opinions, as well. Practice is key for snubbies- been there myself.....
Old December 2, 2012, 11:47 AM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

Snubbies take a little training and practice to shoot well. Before you just start buying more guns - take the money and find a competent handgun training class. It will do you more good than searching for another gun.

BTW, I kept my Colt. It's a sweetheart. Shot it in match awhile ago. Works just fine. However, back in the safe as its value is increasing.
Old December 2, 2012, 01:43 PM   #19
GP100man

Hello & WELCOME !!

Join in when ya can & hang on when ya need to !!!

GP