The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 15, 2001, 11:48 PM   #1
9mmShooter

I'm moving to the Washington D.C. area and am looking to continute my IDPA shooting. I can only find one at the NRA headquarters and one in Annapolis. Are there any others out there?? How about other types of action/moving competitive type of shooting in that area.
Old February 16, 2001, 01:22 AM   #2
Southern Yankee

I hear they have something very similar to IDPA there, but I think they call it "Drive-by Shooting". Not exactly sure about any rules or regs though.

Old February 16, 2001, 03:47 AM   #3
Scooter2

I hope you're not in DC because guns are illegal there. That's why it has one of the nations highest crime rates.

Check the IDPA club list. http://www.idpa.com
Old February 16, 2001, 11:44 AM   #4
Hipower

Near DC there are a couple of IPSC clubs but not much for IDPA. There is one IPSC club out near Winchester VA, and one at Quantico. You can get info on them from the IPSC Area 8 web site.

NRA does IDPA, but their format leaves a little to be desired. For me, it's hard to get a slot since they shoot on a weeknight, and you need to remember to sign up the week before the match if you want a slot. It's also hard to shoot a qualifier, since they have in the past limited the qualifier to new shooter comming into IDPA, that take the familiarization class they give.

Down south, there are a couple of clubs that shoot IDPA. Cavilier and (I think)Rivanna both shoot IDPA.

There is also a IDPA club that shoots at Storm Mountain in WV. They've held the WV state IDPA championships there a couple of time and it was absolutely first rate. Even guys that shoot as lousy as me, had a good time!

Monacacy Pistol Club in Frederick MD has steel plate and bowling pin shoots that (I think) are open to the public.

My advice would be to join VSSA as soon as you get to VA. (I know you're not moving to DC or the Peoples Republik of Maryland.) The VSSA newspaper (The Bullet) has a pretty comprehensive list of competitions in the state for all shooting disciplines.
Old February 18, 2001, 01:04 AM   #5
Tupperware

The competition scene around DC isn't as dire as some say. There is an IPSC match within 90 minutes drive almost every weekend. Some weekends you can shoot a match both days. If you extend the drive time to about two hours York and Harrisburg, PA host excellent matches.
For IDPA, in addition to the two mentioned by Hipower, Roanoke and Black Creek also hold outdoor matches. Indoor matches are held at several local ranges besides the NRA.
The NRA matches are run very well, IMO. They have some sort of match every Tuesday. Typically it's Cowboy, IPSC, and IDPA twice each month. In January they had a 3-gun! They even have bowling pin matches. These matches are well attended and it IS hard to get a slot if you wait until the last minute. They are held indoors, though, and it sure beats not shooting (or going prone in the snow!). The NRA has excellent props and they have even found a way to shoot steel safely indoors.
Reduced course High Power rifle matches are held in MD and full course at Quantico.
There is something for everybody here.
Old February 20, 2001, 09:01 AM   #6
PKN

Don't know about IDPA, but I can shoot IPSC nearly every weekend if I so choose. Most matches are within an hour or so of the Virgina suburbs(exceptions being Black Creek and Roanoke).

Old February 20, 2001, 09:44 PM   #7
marley

Blackcreek does have IDPA the second sat of the month 9am. Info on the IDPA web site along with all of the other clubs I think It is http://www.idpa.com
patrick

blackcreek is out side of richmond. there a match at a range in fredricksburg as well.
Old February 21, 2001, 01:21 PM   #8
Roadrunner

Welcome to the DC Area. Will you be locating in Maryland or Virginia? My own advise, avoid Maryland. Sorry to any local Maryland residents. We have more favorable firearm laws here in Virginia, especially if you should later seek a CCW permit.

Check Gilbert Indoor Shooting Range in Springfield, VA (703-550-8005). They're in Northern VA south of the Beltway at Exit 166A. Gilberts usually runs a PPC league. Not exactly IDPA, but if you're interested in PPC, check them out.

Here's another helpful site with plently of good info:

Washington D.C. Metro Shooter's Page

I believe Shooter's Paradise has some IDPA events. But check with them. I may be confusing IPSC and IDPA events.