The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2006, 11:04 PM   #1
Kframe

I'm trying to make a load similar to Corbon's 9mm 115gr. +P

Hey all, the topic title sums it up.

I keep the Corbon 115gr. +P JHP's in my G19 for defense.

But, I sure don't want to pay those kind of prices for general practice.

As a disclaimer: I've done plenty of reloading, 9x19 included, and am aware of and accept all risks and responsibilities associated with reloading firearm ammunition. Any advice or suggestion I receive will be taken with a "grain" of salt, so to speak. All loads will be reduced and I accept all risks.

So, back to the topic.
I'd like to load up some 115gr. FMJ's that approximate the velocities of the Corbons.
I've just recently chrony'd the Corbons and they scream out of my G19 at an average of 1472fps!

Now, it may not be feasible to make my loads that hot, but I want to make something that's solidly in the +P arena.

Anyone have any idea what powder Corbon is using in their 115's?

Basically, it boils down to wanting a load that shoots to the same POA, and has about the same felt recoil.

Again, I'm not necessarily looking for "use X.XX grains of ABC powder with an XYZ slug", but if you could point me in the right direction I'd surely appreciate it!

Thanks, -K

(I posted this over at GlockTalk too, but seeing as how a lot of Glockers are opposed to reloads I don't know how may responses I'll get over at that site.)
Old January 18, 2006, 04:31 AM   #2
BILLY D.

Kframe

You May Be Sol As The Old Saying Goes. I've Been Told Corbon Uses Batch Powders And As Far As Duplicating Their Loads We Mere Mortals Will Never Be Able To Do It.

Same Deal As The Hornady Light Mag Loads For Rifles. I Know, Bummer.

Sorry.

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER
Old January 18, 2006, 11:16 AM   #3
Leftoverdj

You're going to get the highest velocity from the slowest powder that will generate maximum allowable pressures and still fit in the case. Lee #2 shows a usable case capacity of .74 CC. That suggests HS-7 or similar to me.

"Maximum allowable pressures" in the sticking point. The weak link is the case in barrels that do not fully support it. It's quite possible that Corbon uses cases that are stronger near the base and running pressures up to 40k psi or so. I do know that some experimenters used cases made from .223 brass to try to make major caliber in IPSC competition. (It's a terrible chore. Don't try it.)

All I can suggest is to start with 8.0 grains of HS-7 under the 115 grain bullet, and work cautiously up, measuring cases for the start of a bulge where the cases is unsupported. I'd use new cases for developmental work and would probably make up a gauge for the cases, just a simple cylinder that a round case would drop through and a bulged case would not. You could also use your barrel as a gauge. Try each fired case twice, rotating 90 degrees.
Old January 18, 2006, 11:25 AM   #4
Superhornet

Like your mother used to say to you, "be careful with that thing, you'll put your eye out....
Old January 18, 2006, 01:16 PM   #5
Kframe

I know I might not be able to get to ~1450fps or so, but I'd like to certainly get in the 1350 range.
That ought to be do-able, especially if my G19 runs a bit faster than published.
(Since the advertised Corbons are 1350 and I get 1472).

Thanks for the replies, and yes, I'll be careful.

-Kframe
Old January 18, 2006, 03:31 PM   #6
Leftoverdj

Kframe, you checked your chrongraph? I like to run a few match .22 lr though mine from time to time. They run very close to specs.
Old January 18, 2006, 05:31 PM   #7
Kframe

The chrony is good, it reads within ~15fps of two Oehlers I've cross-referenced a specific load through.

-K
Old January 18, 2006, 08:17 PM   #8
grendelbane

If high velocity was my only desire in a 9mm I would examine Alliant's load data for Power Pistol.

You probably won't get a load as hot as what you describe, but you will have one screaming load at what should be a safe pressure. (As always, start low and work up.)

I have loaded my .38 Super to the velocity you describe, but I have never hot rodded the 9mm.

It may not be feasible to duplicate the Cor-Bon load with canister powder. I think that you can get close, though. Such loads will lead to shorter gun life, and shorter brass life. Pressure is not the whole story, slide velocity is hard on pistols.
Old January 19, 2006, 06:20 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

CorBon? Ha!

E-mail direct for further discussion of violent 9x19; include details.
Old January 19, 2006, 12:32 PM   #10
grizz007

I know over all reloading is very cost effecient. You can build what your firearm prefers in regards to accuracy and pressures. On the flip side case in point, I am very interested in purchasing Vith. N560 for my .30/338 Winch. but it costs like around 86 bucks-2# cont.-I do not need it that bad even if I reload for "perfect" rounds. IMR 7828ssc or RL22 will suffice or even Winchester WXR. good day.
Old January 19, 2006, 12:52 PM   #11
Zak Smith

Vv-3n37
Old January 23, 2006, 09:20 AM   #12
jsflagstad

I have matched Corbon's ME with the 90 Grain Bullet

I have been able to match the ME of Corbon's 90 bullet. I drive a Sierra 90 grain JHP to 1511 fps out of my 4" barrel. This load is very accurate as well. I have not started on the heavier bullets yet but that may be my next step.

JSF
Old January 24, 2006, 11:43 PM   #13
tulsamal

I wanted a +P 9mm load for my Glock 17. I wanted something that would at least get me close to the mythical 125 grain .357 Magnum loads. I use my G17 around the ranch as a general purpose holster gun and a load at that level will kill just about anything around here that needs to be killed. I tried a few different things and finally decided I was getting the best results with Accurate Arms #7. I use the Sierra 115 grain JHC bullet and it has given me truly excellent results. The load I use is .1 to .2 grains over listed max in the Sierra handgun manual. You should be able to get just a hair over 1300 fps with that.

Now here is my big caution when it comes to 9mm! Cases matter. They matter a lot. If you try to exceed the published maximums while using military brass, you may be in trouble. The military cases are heavier, which is good, but that lowers capacity, which is bad. My experience has been you need to go about .2 grains lighter with military brass. Try various makes of commercial brass and see which one you like the best. Just don't develop a total max load in one brand of brass and then load it without a buildup in some other brass. 9mm cases are so small that you are dealing with a very small safety margin.

And overall case length is critical as well. You want to seat the bullet out as far as possible to maximize your powder space. But you have to stay within OAL max plus you have to take the particular bullet into account. And watch out for your neck crimp! If you don't get a good taper crimp, you could end up with a bullet getting pushed backwards into the case. That will cause your pressures to SOAR so watch out for it. Try to push the bullet in a loaded case on your bench. Hold the brass and push the bullet into the wood. Push hard. Measure before and after. If the darn thing moves, you need more crimp!

Gregg
Old January 25, 2006, 05:01 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

unsafe practices, Part 2

Butbutbut what if I put so much powder in there that the bullet can't be pushed back?

Huh? What then I ask?

"..........sounds of insane laughter still echoing........."

----------------------------------------

"all my ammo is mostly-retired blowedupyergun ammo"

Old January 25, 2006, 05:03 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

Safe Practices, Part 5,941

Seriously, safety first.

This stuff is NOT for novice handloaders, and a chronograph is MANDATORY.