yournamehere

Could someone look up one for me?

Model 5906: TYP54**

Greatly appreciate it.
Old March 13, 2008, 07:01 PM   #52
senior
Member In Memoriam

s-w m60

got a s-w m60 no dash that has a serial number of 655xxx, can u give me a rough guess as to age? thanks
Old March 13, 2008, 07:53 PM   #53
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior
got a s-w m60 no dash that has a serial number of 655xxx, can u give me a rough guess as to age? thanks
Off of what part of the gun are you reading that number? Are you sure there's no letter prefix? If there is no letter and you are reading the number off the butt of the frame, then it dates to the late '60s. '67? '68? You'll need a factory letter to get closer than that...
Old March 13, 2008, 07:56 PM   #54
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeForAll
My father just gave me my first handgun to use for protection of my first home. However it is an older model (198x) and I am trying to determine if I can use a +p round in it.

Its a S&W Air weight Bodyguard .38 spl.
Serial Number is BBT9xxx

Can someone tell date it for me, and possibly tell me if it would be dangerous/damaging to the firearm to use a +p round?
Your Model 38 dates to late 1988. S&W did not warranty their Airweight J-frame revolvers for use with +P ammo until 1994. It probably won't blow the gun up or anything, but it will definitely accelerate wear and tear beyond what the gun is rated to handle.
Old March 13, 2008, 08:11 PM   #55
yournamehere

Now, about that 5906?
Old March 13, 2008, 08:24 PM   #56
senior
Member In Memoriam

S-w 60

YES IT WAS OFF THE BUTT OF THE GUN, I HAD BEEN TOLD ONCE AND FORGOT THE DATE THE MAN GAVE ME, SWEET and virtually unfired revolver, thanks for giving me date
Old March 15, 2008, 04:04 PM   #57
FLYLOCK

mine is a .22 with a 4" barrel and has 2 different sets of numbers on it. 58042 and 11398. Anyone have a clue when it may have been made?
Old March 15, 2008, 08:05 PM   #58
carguychris

Quote:
Model 5906: TYP54**
Quote:
mine is a .22 with a 4" barrel and has 2 different sets of numbers on it. 58042 and 11398. Anyone have a clue when it may have been made?
In order to make an accurate guess, you need to identify the model number, or if it's pre-58, you need to tell us whether it's an I-frame or K-frame. (S&W didn't make any J-frame .22's until they axed the I-frame in 1962.)

The serial number is on the butt of the grip frame of a J- or K-frame; on an older I-frame, it's on the front of the grip frame. Other numbers stamped elsewhere on the gun may be meaningless assembly numbers; refer earlier in this thread.
Old March 15, 2008, 08:16 PM   #59
carguychris

Quote:
it's too bad s&w sn aren't readily available.
Their serial numbering system- or, more specifically prior to March 1984, their lack of a consistent system- would foul any attempt to publish a "readily available" index. The numbers are just too mixed up.

To complicate things further, S&W often built and sold guns out of serial number order in past decades. When handgun sales tanked during the Great Depression, frames were sometimes stockpiled for up to 10 years before being assembled into a gun and shipped. It was during this time that S&W went into the business of making razor-blade sharpening tools ("Blade-Savers") and toilet flush valves to keep from going out of business; I'm not making this up!
Old March 15, 2008, 09:04 PM   #60
kamerer

Oops - something got missed - no Serial Number

Quote:
Thanks, that is in fact the only "serial" number on it. I haven't seen it, he sent me a pic but it didn't come out so I asked for another.

Thanks,
Don

Edit: Here are the pics he sent me. The same number appears in both places and there is no number on the bottom of the grip.
When Don mentioned there was no s/n on the grip butt, it would have been good if we had caught that and put up a red flag. I tried to copy the photo from the post on the 1st page of this thread, but it didn't follow. Since the gun in question is a 10-5, and most likely a square butt, a close look at the frame in question makes it appear this was a conversion, and in the process the s/n was removed. While I can certainly see the desire for a butt conversion, there isn't a reason to have to obliterate the whole serial number in doing so.

Guns without serial numbers or altered ones carry a harsh penalty to the Owner/possessor, not necessarily just to the person who did it - this is how the BATF enforces the law. If you run across this, do not purchase the gun, and be a good citizen and let the owner know of the risk they are taking. I would not run to the law, since mostly it's some innocent guy who doesn't know that is in the spot, not a gangster. Should the gun be used in even a lawful self-defense situation, serious jail time could follow when the gun is examined in police custody.

I painfully walked away from a great deal on a completely intact WWI 1911 last year at a gun show - when examining it I realized the "US Property" had been skillfully removed, along with the original Colt s/n, and another one in different script substituted. As much as I likely would have had no problem, it just wasn't worth jail time.
Old March 15, 2008, 10:48 PM   #61
laytonj1

Quote:
Their serial numbering system- or, more specifically prior to March 1984, their lack of a consistent system- would foul any attempt to publish a "readily available" index. The numbers are just too mixed up.
Huh????
As was already mentioned earlier in the thread.... The serial numbers/dates are readily available by purchasing a Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson which is now on it's third addition. Available at any better book store.

Jim
Old March 16, 2008, 03:00 PM   #62
FLYLOCK

This has the number 11398 stamped on the bottom of the grip frame or butt, as well as under the barrel and on the cylinder where you load in the cartridges. I'm not sure of the model. measuring the barrel it is actually slightly less than 4". I bought this quite a few years ago and have fired it a few times. It my favorite revolver.

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; November 30, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old March 16, 2008, 03:36 PM   #63
brentfoto

.38 M&P hand ejector

.38 M&P hand ejector, 5-screw, Square Butt, nickel-plated. Shoots .38 special.

Hand is free-floating in trigger, tensioned by mechanism in the sideplate. Yoke will not freely separate from cylinder as in newer S&W's.
This is probably a K-frame or predecessor to it.

Serial number is 540###.

Response much appreciated..

Last edited by brentfoto; March 16, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old March 16, 2008, 09:17 PM   #64
Hammer It

Quote:
This has the number 11398 stamped on the bottom of the grip frame or butt, as well as under the barrel and on the cylinder where you load in the cartridges.
Hello
I Believe it is a Pre-15 which is called a Combat Masterpiece. The serial number you gave Points to a serial of around 1947 but they did not make this Model until 1949. I suspect you forgot to add the K-Prefix that should be in front of the serial number ? If it is from that time span, it may have been a Pre-serial numbered frame used for your revolver that shipped Later. The Model 15 as it is known after 1957 when S&W assigned model numbers in the crane area, is a 4" Barrel version of the Model 14 K-38 Masterpiece. This model shown is called the Combat Masterpiece because it has a Baughman quick draw front sight blade, and the shorter 4" Barrel. It is a Five screw gun so that tells me it is before 1956-1958 Era. It has the small cylinder extractor common with Post War revolvers and a Four Line address that started after 1947. It is in very nice shape and The Five screw configuration makes it Heavily sought after by Collectors. I hope this Helps, Hammer It
Old March 16, 2008, 09:24 PM   #65
Hammer It

Quote:
Serial number is 540###.
Hello
From the serial number you gave, This revolver appears to be from around 1903-1904.I Know it is Before 1905 as it has the Older style Sear. I hope this Helps, Hammer It

Last edited by Hammer It; March 17, 2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old March 17, 2008, 01:38 AM   #66
kamerer

I am not sure about the internals, but I would have thought the one line address on the side (introduced in 1921 or 22 I was told) and the high serial number 540,xxx would put it in the 1930s. Was there something weird about the early s/n's that were way out of sequence?
Old March 17, 2008, 03:23 AM   #67
Bones507

I had picked up a used model 19 about 4 months ago, shoots very nicely i might add. I had no idea when it was manuafactured so i e mailed Smith and Wesson and they got back to me in 3 days saying it was made in 1983. I was surprised as its in good shape but especially so for being that old.
Must have been owned by a little old lady from Passadena !!
Old March 17, 2008, 03:50 AM   #68
brentfoto

Thanks Hammer It and Kamerer.

The only other information that I have is that someone posted on another forum that it was circa 1927, a M&P, but never revealed his source.

My only resource book is The Official Gun Digest Book of Guns and Prices 2007and it appears that it's called a "Hand Ejector Model of 1905, 4th change", with that serial number. But I am not sure of this source at all, but it would be consistent with the other poster because book says this was the largest run, and was from 1915 to 1942, with serial numbers from 241704 to 1000000. Of course, the date of manufacture for 540### is not indicated. And I might have the wrong model gun.

Anyway, I just placed an order with Amazon for the S&W Catalogue by Supica, etc. I don't know if it will help but I want the book anyway.

Any additional or other input would be appreciated.
Old March 17, 2008, 09:12 AM   #69
Dispatch

Model 19

Im trying to get some information a gun I acquired from my old boss. I called S&W and they said it was a model 19-3. Its the only gun I have. serial number is 8K49xxx.

Thanks for any information you can give me
Old March 17, 2008, 03:35 PM   #70
Andy W

I would like to know the approximate date for old M&P 38 spl square butt #
17xxx if someone wouldn't mind looking it up.

Thanks.
Old March 17, 2008, 08:50 PM   #71
Hammer It

Quote:
serial number is 8K49xxx.
Hello Dispatch
It looks like your gun is from 1976 Era. Regards, Hammer It
Old March 17, 2008, 08:55 PM   #72
Hammer It

Hey Guys
What Ya'll need is a copy of The Standard Catalog of S&W's by Supica & Nahas. it is an excellent reference book and less than a box of shells. I have all three additions and if you only have ONE S&W revolver you should not be without it. You Guys are wearing me and my Book out looking up all your revolvers here..They are Cheap, Get ya one..Here is a Link to one. Hammer It

http://cgi.ebay.com/Standard-Catalog...1QQssPageNameZ
Old March 17, 2008, 11:38 PM   #73
kamerer

Brentfoto - The other source could be correct. He/she could own one with a similar s/n and have had it "lettered" from the factory to find the ship date. 1927 sounds as good an estimate as you can get without a letter. I overlooked that your gun is very probably pre-1930, that exact type of ejector rod cap was changed that year. The Nahas/Supica book will not provide any more specific date for you, but will explain the changes in the model from 1899 to now. It is an excellent book you will enjoy even if it can't answer your specific question.

Andy W - your gun could have been made in 1900, 1942, 1948, or 1968. The serial numbers repeated, so without a picture to see details, or details described on it like earlier in this thread, it's not possible to say. Later guns will have a letter code a few places in front of the number, like "C 17862." Early guns will have the serial number repeated in multiple places - under the barrel, on the cylinder face, under the star, and on the butt. If it were of the earliest date, (1900) it would have a round butt, not a square.
Old March 19, 2008, 07:28 PM   #74
Belier

Model 15

Date for Model 15-3 #K978954 ?

TIA
Old March 19, 2008, 07:33 PM   #75
Hammer It

Quote:
Date for Model 15-3 #K978954 ?

Tags
s&w 686