The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 1999, 10:29 AM   #1
snoman

I am looking at the plans from NRMA, has anyone used them, any suggestions???

---snoman---
Old January 22, 1999, 02:28 PM   #2
Steve Koski

I've seen those plans, they look nice, but not simple.

I used two pieces of 2x12 for the top surface, and a buch of 2x4's for legs and cross bracing. Put it all together with big long grabber screws. I also ran a 2x4 on it's edge down the back of the table to keep stuff from rolling off the back. My reloading bench is only about 4' long, but it's heavy enough not to rock and roll when I use the press.

Koski
Old January 22, 1999, 03:16 PM   #3
Michael Carlin

I have those plans. After a fairly thorough study I believe they will work just fine.
I have not yet built the bench. (SHE says I have to put a deck on the new house FIRST)!

When I do build it, it will be bigger than the plans are drawn for.

But if you have several presses you might want to consider a slide in press mount system. One of the magazines had a very nice system depicted a while back. A beveled metal (aluminum) plate was used for each press and the "slide in mount" for it was built into the bench top.

Such system would allow you to loosen the clamping bolts, slide out the press or other tool, and replace it with another tool in a matter of moments. Might be a solution to the problem I was going to address by upsizing the bench.

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited 01-22-99).]
Old January 22, 1999, 03:54 PM   #4
Contender

I use a closet under a stairway space(angled ceiling). I fastened a 2X6 cleat to each wall under the stairway area,then ran a 2X12 across the front and evenly spaced 2X4's to the rear. Then a piece of 1/2" plywood was fastened over these making a smooth bench top. Built shelves on the back of the bench that fit up against the ceiling. The 2X12 up front creates a beefy platform for a press. The whole setup utilizes some previously useless space in this kind of closet leaving the other side still usable for storage.Wired up a flourescent light and there you have it.
Old January 22, 1999, 10:18 PM   #5
ShadedDude

build a deck first???

sounds like it will be a small deck

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old January 23, 1999, 09:08 AM   #6
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Built mine using 1/2" over 3/4" plywood (full sheets) on doubled 2x4 legs with a 1/2" plywood shelf underneath and cross bracing. Then built a two level bookshelf on the top back out of 2x2 and some leftover plywood. Put pegboard on one side. For the presses, I've mounted them on 2x8s and then bolted the 2x8 to the top of the bench. That way I can move or swith out presses. Just hang them on a hook when not needed and they are out of the way.
Old January 23, 1999, 12:01 PM   #7
bear

Not being able to cut two pieces of wood the same lengh if they were glued together I opted for a Sears workbench, its about 5' wide and 30" deep, mounted a 4'x 2' 3/16 steel plate on it where the loaders are mounted, works well for me and has drawers to put stuff in.

Old January 24, 1999, 02:42 PM   #8
snoman

I also saw a bench in the Dillon catalog, it went for about $270.00 if I recall, looked ok but one can be built for a lot less.

---snoman---
Old January 26, 1999, 01:50 PM   #9
swingcatt

I found a 5'x9' metal work bench at a surplus auction. $20 bucks and it was mine. 4"x2" C tube construction with 6' angle iron legs (real good for mounting peg board to the part that sticks above the bench). 1/8" sheet plating makes the top. Mount your press to a piece of 1/4" steel and drill 4 holes about 1" away from the corners of your press. Then line up the press mount where you want it to be and drill similar holes into the workbench. Tack weld nuts on the bottom of the workbench then tack weld washers onto the tops of the bolts you are going to use (to use as a grip when bolting the press down). This way you have a easily removable press that is secured to your workbench for a minimum price.

-SCatt

ps: If you really want to get fancy, you can do what I did and cut slots in your press base and have your press rotate for ease of use (just watch your knuckles!)
Old January 31, 1999, 08:49 AM   #10
JA

Go to a shop that sells kitchen counter tops the formica kind ask if they have any used or custom made ones that are damaged. They usally throw them away. So you might have to dumpster dive. I got one used(free) cut it to size I wanted screwed 2x6 to bottom of it. Then bolted 4"x4"x4" inch angle iron to it and bolted 4x4(screwed 2- 2x4 together) legs on angle iron. I scrounged all parts except 3/8" bolts. It's stout as a tank and has a nice smooth surface to work on. I got one with the splash guard so I don't have to worry about anything rolling off back of bench.
Old February 2, 1999, 03:57 AM   #11
Matt K

There is a good set of plans for a bech on the Wideners website. I used those plans and substituted 4x4 for the legs and used an extra 2x6 on top to make it deeper, then added some more 2x6s on the leg supports for a shelf. WOrks great and very sturdy

matt
Old February 4, 1999, 05:19 PM   #12
Ringo

My reloading bench is a Gorilla Rack workbench. It's constructed of solid steel with wood top (I added another pieced for sturdiness), goes together with hardly any tools (hammer and screwdriver), has a full size storage shelf underneath, full size drawer just under the bench top, a large peg board to hang stuff on, and a smaller shelf above the peg board. It comes in a box that weighs like 128 lbs...VERY sturdy. All for $70 on sale at Orchard Supply Hardware. A month after I got mine I saw them at Costco for about $65. One of the best $70 I've ever spent. Good luck
Ringo
Old June 18, 1999, 01:28 PM   #13
macondas

Hi all
Finally bought a house, now I can have a real reloading bench, nt just a floding sawhorse. What height is the top of your bench? I'm using a Lee press (no jokes now... it does just fine!), and I prefer to be seated while working. Any help would be appreciated.
Jim B. in Louisville
Old June 18, 1999, 04:09 PM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Macondas: The top of my loading bench is 30" off the floor. Seems to work okay for my 6' height. I wouldn't have any trouble with a 28" height...
Old June 22, 1999, 06:08 AM   #15
Colduglandon

Used an idea I got from an old friend. I picked up one of those old metal kitchen sink bases. I bolted 2x4's to the side at the top and mounted 2x10 and 2x12's to that for the work area. The back was open to the wall and so I covered it with sheet metal, old road signs. It had two built in utensil draws, and a small door on the left. Two doors under the "sink" can be locked together. If you store some bullets and brass in the bottom it wont rock. Also I mounted my two presses, single stage for rifle, and progressive for handgun, on pieces of 2x8. They are held on to the top by a single carriage bolt and can swivel back and forth. I take the single stage off and swing the progressive press right around to work on it. It has a longer 2x8 and is bolted toward the back of the bench. I use old supermarket bags as dust covers for the presses to keep the kitchen motife.

------------------
Paul M

[This message has been edited by Paul Morceau (edited June 22, 1999).]
Old June 22, 1999, 07:29 PM   #16
HankL

OK snoman, NRMA has a link on many gunlinks.
If you can't find it please email me and I will find it for you. I got a set of them and used them to build my bench. They might be small "short" for some applications so I built two to cover 11'8" of wall space. They are about 33" deep and have quite a bit of storage included in the design. I like to sit at a stool or stand so my table top is set at
37 1/4". I have from l to r a printer, RL 450, Rockchucker, Powder Dropper, RL 650, RCBS primer seater, RCBS case trimmer mounted
and have room for not much more . It's a good design and worth looking into. I seriously will help you look it up if you want.
Have Fun and Be Safe, Hank

[This message has been edited by HankL (edited June 22, 1999).]
Old June 22, 1999, 09:23 PM   #17
HankL

Here is a start http://www.reload-nrma.com/members.html I'm not too good at this so I hope the link works for you!
Have fun but be safe Hank
Old June 24, 1999, 01:36 PM   #18
MO

M.D. Smith has an enormous amount of relaoding and related material on his site:
http://www.reloadammo.com/rel-link.htm